Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight, o'er the ramparts we watched...

>Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight, o'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?

What the fuck?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=scWkCJ8xDmI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>American culture
>American civilisation

What's the problem?

"Broad strips and bright stars" is referencing the flag which wasn't taken down during the defense of Fort M'Henry. Taking down a flag symbolizes defeat so what's being celebrated is the fact that Americans held out throughout the night. A rampart is a defensive structure and what was "gallantly streaming" was the blood of brave soldiers. So essentially the lyric is translated as saying the flag held throughout the fight because brave men died defending it.

>gallantly streaming

This is also probably a reference to the bombs.

This sentence makes no sense at all.

It's a clause, and it makes sense

It's not the whole sentence. It's only the end of the question begun at the start of the stanza

In the context of the rest of the song it makes perfect sense

I'm pretty sure it is the flag that is gallantly streaming. Were so gallantly streaming is the predicate to Whose broad stripes and bright stars.

I just don't understand why it is phrased as a question and what the inserted clauses have to do with the sentence.

It's not a sentence, ya dip. The sentence begins "Oh say can you see..."

It's not a sentence it's a relative clause referencing "flag" at the end of the previous clause.

The absolute state of lit.
Learn some humility before you attempt another take down of one of the most iconic and memorable poems of all time.
youtube.com/watch?v=scWkCJ8xDmI

The word 'flag' doesn't appear in the previous clause, user

(checked)
I get what youre doing
this is like the inglourious basterds 'bravely' threads on /tv where you pretend to be confused while the rest of the board tries to educate you.

I didn't mean specifically the word "flag" I meant the concept of the flag, which is what he means when he says "What so proudly we hailed"

Ah, right y'are then.

This is now an America hate thread

>most iconic and memorable poems of all time

Hilarious.

It might be cheating since it's become a musically adapted national anthem, but the list of poems that are more widely know than the Star Spangled Banner is very short indeed.
Why do I even still post on this shit board.

The world doesn't stop outside your borders.

>on Veeky Forums
>can't read
wew

No, but it practically stops outside its realm of control.

Get buttmad that your shit nation isn't the world hegemon.

>Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight, o'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
>Whose broad stripes and bright stars were so gallantly streaming?

How is this not a sentence you absolute illiterates?

you guys are right we're so lame.

>poetry has to follow the same rigid syntax that prose does
Y'all are a bunch of plebs

>thinking grammar and syntax exists
>Thinking language from the 18th century is the same as today
>Thinking great art is bound by the rules your 10th grade English teacher drilled into you
A fucking bunch of losers, truly. If ever I catch one of you in public, I'll laugh in your face. maybe spit on you also.

Because you're skipping out the first half.

How is Veeky Forums simultaneously so /pol/ and so anti-american?

The European-style far right wing politics of /pol/ is almost always accompanied by anti-Americanism. The Le Pens hate America.

Veeky Forums is apparently currently the object of an evangelistic campaign from the retarded right from some other boards. It's been going on all day. /pol/tards, Randtards, and on Veeky Forums, Jebustards spewing gibberish. The mods must be on vacation.