Which philosophy do you follow? How has it changed your life?

Which philosophy do you follow? How has it changed your life?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zBnDqu8X5fk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That pic is shit.
The idea that stoics didn't believe there was an objective telos to life is insane.
Putting evola in the "religion is the opiate of the people" means not having ever read him.
Leopardi together with Nietzsche?
Who the fuck wrote this shit?

Found it on one of those existentialist subreddits where everyone constantly whines about how they're depressed and want to die.
More to illustrate a point than anything else.

>Found it on one of those existentialist subreddits
Stop going on reddit, it's utter shit.
Anyway, the closest "existential philosophy" that I follow is virtue ethics.

I just cherry pick from philosophy and sciencey stuff. So I have a bunch of ideas and facts and keep those that suit me and enhance my life strategy.

Nice. What kind of things?

Every philosophy has a bit of the whole truth.

There's no single 'right' philosophy, but by reading and learning about as many as possible I feel like you bring yourself a bit closer to the real Truth step by step. Though we can never truly obtain it.

Leopardian cosmic pessimisn
youtu.be/zBnDqu8X5fk

Following one single philosophy is reatrded. Read as much as possible and form your own opinion by taking bits and pieces from others.

My biggest source of inspiration on how to live is biology (mainly evolutionary biology and ecology) and psychology. There are certain evolutionary strategies and I copy those I feel are fitting. From psychology I've learned that people tend to cherry pick information that suits them anyway. From philosophy I mainly borrow from existentialism, pessimism and eastern philosophy. Though I want to stress my borrowing from philosophy is shallow.

I'm individualistic and a bit selfish but I do hold moral beliefs and mainly those related to the environment. I try to live in way that has a minimal impact on the environment. I also care a lot about health; my dad died when I was a teenager and he smoked, ate lots of fastfood and did other unhealthy things He was also a bit of a gambler. So I've grown to dislike such lifestyles.

I think the world at large is unjust so I do have a bit of a Robin Hood attitude. I think that certain bad behaviour can be justified. But it really depends on what the impact of that behaviour is and who it impacts.

I think my philosophy comes close to Nassim Taleb's Antifragile. That book has inspired me immensily and I liked it because I already had a few ideas similar as his. I still differ with him on certain things but overal it comes pretty close.

Huh. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

So what's yours?

I really like Absurdism, the idea that we're actually never going to know whether or not there's a point, so we should just keep living and be free despite our uncertainty about the universe really appeals to me.
I feel like I enjoy life more with this outlook, that everything's a little more fun when you tell the universe to go fuck itself and get on with living in the moment.

What's the ethics of Absurdism?
In general I hold the belief that as long as you do not harm anyone it is okay to do it (unless the one you are harming harms people at a large scale).

I think it's more free than that. Since we don't know whether there is inherent morality, we are free to live by our own rules.

It's always changing, but when it comes down to it the constants have been Thomism and Kierkegaard's existentialism. They don't mix too well, but I'm willing to give up some Kierkegaard to maintain consistency.

I just go with the flow desu

Wu Wei
Very sophisticated

>'following' a philosophy
>letting linguistic concepts trap your ability to act within the world
>being this pleb
Step it up, lads.

WEEEOOOO WEEEEOOO IMPLICIT TAUTOLOGY ALERT

Go to bed Wittgenstein

>>letting linguistic concepts trap your ability to act within the world
Fucking Sapir-Whorf pleb

Nice unfounded statements my man

>Look mom! I can read wikipedia!

The theory of becoming a beautiful canvas

Says the peasant who puts his head so tight in the ass of philosophy just to sound like he got something clever to say when all he speaks of is some reharshed folk psychology masked as profound insight. Get whacked philoboy.

Montaigne's open-minded, proto Pragmatism. It has made 'all the difference.'

Git gud fags

The philosophy is to try and extract as much pleasure through the course of my life as I can. I don't know if this qualifies as hedonism because if a short-term pleasure hurts my long-term pleasure, say heroin, cheating on a spouse (risk assessment, but this'd breach my morals and hurt me regardless of whether I was caught so a no-go). I've learned 5 languages, lift, run and eat healthy to maximize my moment-to-moment pleasures and give me more and more consistent spikes (i.e. people miring gives me a pleasure spike, my admiring myself in the mirror gives me a spike, albeit lesser. Flaunting my language skills give me a spike and so on). I see education as being beneficial in the same light and a valuable career path/money. Even literature.

I expect to live to about 100 or more, though in terms of risk assessments etc I'm looking more at having reached some form of general peak at about 30-35 where most things will stabilize in terms of growth and I might start leaning more towards forms of pure hedonism/instant gratification.

Morals don't conflict with this philosophy, I care about human well-being, helping others brings me pleasure and generally tends to help me in the long-run (at least concerning people who will most likely stick around). Everyone benefits from everyone else being moral and I'm no exception here.

As for "ultimate" meaning, there's no reason to believe there is any. I haven't seen any good reason to in any case. This will at least bring one pleasure/joy, if it doesn't then you were probably very wrong about what you were doing in the short and long-run that you believed to bring you joy. This is very individual and something that could take time figuring out.

grande