Books that will convince me there is no self

Books that will convince me there is no self

Think it through, dickbag, it's not particularly hard to process it.

Hume, Treatise on Human Nature

Read this article it should be available on Google Scholar:
>Humans as superorganisms: How microbes, viruses, imprinted genes, and other selfish entities shape our behavior
You can look for related papers too.

Listened thru Homo Deus recently, had some good arguments/facts against the liberal/humanist foundations.

Convince who?

is the first book of it worth reading? seems like its just a bunch of bs on geography etc

You don't need a book
First ask what is a self

Reply to me what your ansswer is and i will deconstruct it.

Spoiler: you own nothing. there is no intrinsic self. and thats a good thing

But there are no good things either

There are wholesome and unwholesome things

Isnt there a tradition in bhuddism that tries to do exactly that?

Pic related

Well, self in the traditional meaning is the recipient of data found in the outside world, the active agent in charge of descision making.

Eckhart Tolle: Through the Open Door. The ego is a thought form often mistaken for the self.

I guess this is the practical way of a self. But even then, is the intrinsic self found in these the receptors and sensors that allow the recipient to receive data? What about the energy that powers the sensors? Is that the self?

>ctrl+f
>"metzinger"
>zero results
Embarrassing...

the introduction to pic related is enough to convince you

If there is no self, how is there good or bad?

Alan Watts on YouTube

Wouldn't the juridical responsibility be enough to prove that You do exist in a meaningful, real-life way? You have responsibility, for the actions you take, in the eyes of others.

BEST BOOK ON THE SUBJECT.

The Phenomenology of Spirit

It's a good thing because ultimately you wouldn't have all of these problems associated with the self

>Reply to me what your ansswer is and i will deconstruct it.
Petty word games. That you can deconstruct a particular definition of a concept does not mean that the concept has no validity, only that the definition given of it is not valid, which is to be expected when dealing with a concept as indefinable as the "self". The self is one of those concepts so fundamental to our very minds (examples: "true", "real", "knowledge", "being") that it's as impossible for us to give a proper definition of them as it is for us to not understand what they are.

My soul :^)

This

The Waves by Woolf if you're looking for something more Veeky Forums than philosophical.
God-tier book either way.

You mean ego. Atman exists

Just imagine if instead of saying "me" or "he" or "she" you referred to each of the emotions and thought loops you come across, either in yourself or in others, by their own name. Now you know what spirits are and why the "Self" is a construct, albeit an important one.

Oh, but there is your face. I catch your eye. I, who had been thinking myself so vast, a temple, a church, a whole universe, unconfined and capable of being everywhere on the verge of things and here too, am now nothing but what you see—an elderly man, rather heavy, grey above the ears, who (I see myself in the glass) leans one elbow on the table, and holds in his left hand a glass of old brandy. That is the blow you have dealt me. I have walked bang into the pillar-box. I reel from side to side. I put my hands on my head. My hat is off—I have dropped my stick. I have made an awful ass of myself and am justly laughed at by any passer-by.

What TV series is that GIF from? This has bothered me since childhood. In the introduction this frog falls off a chair. It was on PBS.