Can someone give me the easiest and most straight-forward directions to baking a half batch of cookies...

can someone give me the easiest and most straight-forward directions to baking a half batch of cookies? apparently I am retarded, seeing as I attempted this last week and thought I was following the directions properly until my cookies came out a fried, sugary puddle instead of anything cookie-like. i'm new to baking and cooking in general, can you also tell me what I did wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/www.geniuskitchen.com/amp/recipe/best-half-batch-chocolate-chip-cookies-58935
thefreshloaf.com/node/10557/chocolate-chip-cookies
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Too much liquid in your dough?

wow OP lmao post your recipe
what was your dough like before baking?

Tell us the recipe you used, the baking temperature, and the amount of time in the oven and I'll try to figure out what went wrong.

Looks like you halved the flour but not the butter/eggs. Also chill your dough before you bake it.

it's clear you didn't turn on convection.
Try that with the same recipe.

google.com/amp/www.geniuskitchen.com/amp/recipe/best-half-batch-chocolate-chip-cookies-58935

the dough was kinda wet and not totally firm

did you use an electric mixer?

mean

The recipe looks normal. I'm guessing you used less than 5 oz of flour. Volumetric measurements for flour are unreliable.

indeed

How retarded do you have to be to fuck up chocolate chip cookies? 8 year old girls can make them

please tell me you didn't melt your butter beforehand

>Volumetric measurements for flour are unreliable.
french sympathizer detected

fuck off pretentious faggot

...yea I did

dont do that ever again.

Why the fuck would you do that, you fucking idiot?

Dumb fucking ASSGARGLER

Get a scale, you poor

Melting butter doesn't hurt or help a recipe, I've tried out Alton Brown's version and it turned out fine.
Here's a better question: did you add all the ingredients at once or did you separate the dry from the wet?

the butter needs to be very cold when you cream it into the sugar. then you have to work quickly to keep the dough cold.

honestly don’t remember. was kinda drunk when I was making the attempt

this gets worse with every response. please stop

;__; ok

the whole point of creaming butter and sugar is to give cookie dough texture. The butter melts in the oven to give the final consistency of the cookie
you can't skip this step or you get liquid cookies

As long as you chill the dough before baking (which is an unavoidable step regardless of the recipe) it'll be fine

Why the fuck would you need a "half batch" recipe? You just half a regular recipe

so say I just take a stick of butter and let it sit at room temperature for like a half hour, then mix it in will it be fine?

use cold butter, out of the fridge. cut it into tiny pieces(cubes) and then cream them into the sugar.

colder the better in my experience
it makes it harder to work with but that's the tradeoff

And what if I'm not 8 yet???

colder is better but if you can't be assed to cut up butter, just use room temp butter.

>all these dumb normies crying about muh butter

If you want good cookies, you need to get your milk in a double boiler, get it steaming, add your butter, then pour it into a blender with your eggs and immediately blend/emulsify.

Now you mix your emulsification into your dry mix and beat the shit out of it and keep it going. Then let it cool to room temp, then it goes in the fridge, then it goes in the freezer, then you scoop it into balls and put it on the tray and win cookies.

cookies are for children.

Fuck what do I do? Do I chill it? Knead flour in? It looks fucked

Throw it in the garbage

You sounds like a horrible person to live with

IF IT'S TOO WARM butter will not perform. Has it been hot where you are? Most recipes presume a butter temperature of about 65F. Melted butter acts differently than solid butter.

Are you even following what the recipe says?

yes, fuck, my incompetence is astounding me right now. I had to turn off the mixer a few times to crack the egg n pour the vanilla, and I cut the butter up while it was cold...

lmao this is Veeky Forums, if someone made cookies IRL I'd say 'wow cookies, thanks!' and then eat cookies.

this isn't your animes

make sure u cream the butter and sugar before adding the vanilla and egg

it looks fine keep going

not true
Ive made multiple cookies that u don't need to chill

Well not great but not terrible I suppose

whoops meant to post this

Good improvement, hope they tasted well.

weren't bad at all, just thin.

>Melting butter doesn't hurt or help a recipe
ug
It's paramount in making quickbreads and cooking in general. STOP IT!

it still amazes me that we get these threads. how are some people so retarded that they unironically fuck up chocolate chip cookies?

From what I've read (I don't bake much) it's the fat that changes the consistency of the cookie.
Despite that and whatever and all, this is the recipe that I use in my repertoire because I should just have one for work and shit.
It always works and I've gotten compliments.
thefreshloaf.com/node/10557/chocolate-chip-cookies
THICK AND CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Makes 1 1/2 dozen 3-inch cookies

These truly chewy chocolate chip cookies are delicious served warm from the oven or cooled. To ensure a chewy texture, leave the cookies on the cookie sheet to cool. You can substitute white, milk chocolate, or peanut butter chips for the semi- or bittersweet chips called for in the recipe. In addition to chips, you can flavor the dough with one cup of nuts, raisins, or shredded coconut.

2 1/8 cups (2 cups plus 2 tablespoons) unsifted bleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled until warm
1 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-2 cups semi- or bittersweet chocolate chips/chunks

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in chips to taste.

3. Form scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Holding dough ball using fingertips of both hands, pull into two equal halves. Rotate halves ninety degrees and, with jagged surfaces exposed, join halves together at their base, again forming a single cookie, being careful not to smooth dough's uneven surface, see illustrations, "Forming Chocolate Chip Cookies," PDF, below. Place formed dough onto one of two parchment paper-lined 20-by-14-inch lipless cookie sheets, about nine dough balls per sheet. Smaller cookie sheets can be used, but fewer cookies can be baked at one time and baking time may need to be adjusted. (Dough can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month-shaped or not. See "Freezing the Dough," by clicking the link below.)

4. Bake, reversing cookie sheets' positions halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes (start checking at 13 minutes). (Frozen dough requires an extra 1 to 2 minutes baking time.) Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight container.

>Holding dough ball using fingertips of both hands, pull into two equal halves. Rotate halves ninety degrees and, with jagged surfaces exposed, join halves together at their base, again forming a single cookie, being careful not to smooth dough's uneven surface, see illustrations, "Forming Chocolate Chip Cookies," PDF, below.
Holy shit. I have never read that far into the instructions before posting this. Disregard that bullshit, just make drop them on the sheet pan. FFS.