It's that time again boys

It's that time again boys.
I'm drunk and I'm eager to help.
Drunk recommendation thread.

Describe something you want to read, and I'll do my best to rec you the right book.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/End-19th-Century-Eric-Larsen/dp/0982987846
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Its 3pm man

Not where I am.

>american education

Recommend me your favourite book and tell me why should I read it.

Hmm. Well, that's kinda hard, since my favorite books change depending on my mood, but mostly, I say my favorite book is
Emotionally Weird by Kate Atkinson.
It's not a perfect book. There are a couple scenes that would have been better left out. Ultimately, it's a surrealist kind of dramedy, that gets progressively weirder as the book goes on.
It opens with the MC sequestered away on a craggy irish isle, explaining how her mother is a virgin, to her experiences studying literature and the lives of the people she meets, interspersed with stories other people write, and the history of her family. Goats get sacrificed a dog gets killed, and there's something about a tiger, at some point.
It's complicated, and probably not all that good, but I found it a long time ago, when my life was in a flux, and I loved it. I've read it five or six times and there's something charming, and soothing about it.

Goddammit. Let me fucking recommend books for you.

I'm emotionally broken and I need some kind of validation that I'm alive.

Just tell me what you want.

Hi! I loved Heart of a Dog by Bulgakov and I'm really enjoying Master and Margarita too. Something witty with good social/historical/political commentary along with good prose and vivid descriptions of setting would be great.

Goddammit. Alright, give me a minute.

Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before

Hi, how about something adventurous and hopeful. Or something adventurous and gloomy. Or one of each. Or more?

Yo recommend me something a la Invisible Cities

Howl's Moving Castle is adventurous and hopeful, so's The Swiss Family Robinson.

Adventurous and gloomy... Maybe Shogun by James Clavell?

Amulet by Roberto Bolano

>Amulet by Roberto Bolano
Already read that one. Got any other recs?

High-rise by JD Ballard

Thanks, user. I'd watched Howl's Moving Castle when I was a kid but I haven't read the book. Shogun's on my list actually, and the Swiss Family Robinson looks good.

Something that reads like a romantic-era symphony sounds

Hey, you're welcome! Howl's Moving Castle is worth the read even if you've seen the movie, and Swiss Family Robinson is special to my heart. Shogun is a great read, especially if you like historical novels.

The Persian Boy by Mary Renault

Thanks user, I'd been meaning to read some Eco ever since he passed away

comfy fin de siecle literature

ive read all the obvious ones

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it.

amazon.com/End-19th-Century-Eric-Larsen/dp/0982987846
Just kidding, let me a minute.

Is it necessary to read Fire from Heaven first?

Running with scissors by Augusten Burroughs

No. I didn't. It follows the Boy, not Alexander, so you're not thrown into the middle of a story.

recommend me something obscure that challenges english prose enough to do something formative

Alright thanks

The Raw Shark Texts by Stephen Hall

No problem. I hope you enjoy it.

Okay OP, recommend a book based on pic related please. Already posted it here but noone replied...

I've only read a couple of Pressfield's books in the last couple of years but I would like to read more historical fiction. I liked Lian Hearn's Tales of the Otori when I read them as a teenager, they're fantasy novels but hey, Shogun should be a good read for me. Thanks again.

The Bull from the Sea by Mary Renault
or
Pirate Freedom by Gene Wolfe

Thank you!

No problem! I hope you enjoy!

Hey OP I'd like a novel that captures a sense of vague, impending doom, like there's something on the horizon, and you really don't want it to come but oh man is it ever coming. I always think of this Chirico painting and the figure in the distance. (Also please don't recommend Chirico's own novel)
Preferably not genre fiction.

Crash, by JD Ballard
or, if you consider self destruction a kind of doom, Almost Transparent Blue by Ryu Murakami or Sick City by Tony O'Neill

I actually have to go to bed now, but I might have better recs for you tomorrow morning

I'm back.
Anyone wanna get recced?

Romance. I want love.

Kathrine Kerr - Daggerspell maybe
if you don't mind a little gay, then The God Eaters by Jesse Hajicek

>being sober at 3pm
>having aspirations of being a writer

You're doing it wrong.

something from female perspective, to help me understand women better.. also good book would be nice

Alright guys, I'm back.
I want you all to know that I have a very nice lunch with my grandma.

What is it about women you're having trouble with exactly?

A book in which the protagonist's grip on reality deteriorates in a very noticeable way, not like flowers for algernon but more in sanity perspective

American Psycho is the obvious one.
Perfume by Patrick Süßkind, maybe.

Watch The Voices with Ryan Reynolds.