What films are as good as a book?

What films are as good as a book?

The Godfather

the film and book are always good at different things.

American Psyco

Jesus why did they think this cover was a good idea
>AMERI - CAN PSYCHO BRET EASTON ELLIS?

The film is much better

Alien Vs. Predator

Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

It's pure unadultered kino and almost literary in pace.

David Lynch
Jeremiah Johnson
True Detective

>a picture tells a thousand words
>24 pictures per second
>5400 seconds in an average film
>129,600 words per movie

You tell me.

Veeky Forums in charge of math

David Lynch is a hack whose entire appeal comes from his mix of shocking images and inscrutable dialogue.

Point me to any glimmer of meaning or insight in his body of work.

Oh right. It should be 129,600,000 words! Thanks user.

You don't know shit about surrealism, do you?

best post

One flew over the cuckoo's nest.

The movie is far superior to the book, and just about perfect in every single way.

What are books like Manchester by the Sea? Or Lonergan in general?

true. kesey was a hack writer but a decent prophet for acid. the movie fleshed out his good ideas into good art; sometimes less-than-stellar authors create decent structures for a stellar film

I wouldn't say he's a hack writer, I think the book is good, just that the movie is really, really good. With that said, I don't think he's up there with the best. The movie is though.

Heart of darkness is great. Apocalypse now is better in almost every aspect.

Good one!

Blade Runner is a million times better than the book

The Seed and the Sower was a pretty boring book, took a lot of energy to keep reading it.

The movie, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, while being funny as fuck and awkward to watch with my mom, is at least entertaining, plus it has David Bowie.

>sometimes less-than-stellar authors create decent structures for a stellar film

Troy is better than the Iliad

basically all popular fiction

By "almost every aspect" I take you to mean one minuscule aspect, correct?

Yowzer!

this is your first day on internets i take it

Plays

Check out William Inge

>comparing the visual, nuncupative medium to the written medium

The 1984 version of 1984.

The films of Lav Diaz and Edward Yang gave me the feeling of finishing a good novel. Also, Lav Diaz's Norte, End of History is a dark reimagining of Crime and Punishment.

nah book is fucking great, way funnier, gorier, interesting, everything you like about the film yet amplified. film is great for getting you to care about the book though, its a modern classic no doubt

>we read books with our eyes making them a visual medium too

Actual good cinema is as far away from literature as possible.

Runaway Train

Can he what?

WRONG
The director is some stupid rich bitch making the film with her parents money or something, she really didn't even understand the book, the only good thing about that whole move is how Bale carries the whole thing.
>80s music and fashionable irony LOLLLLLLLLL

Hunger Games, Harry Potter, trash of that nature

Blade Runner.

Fear and loathing in las vegas

Fucking this

Synecdoche, New York

Fight club - best example of how the movie surpasses the book

Jaws, though it was better.

Nice

I feel like she picked up on a little of the consumerist message. I honestly think it was a hard book to adapt due to the almost obsessive nature of the main characters inner dialouge. As that guy said above it's a great way to introduce people to the book but pales in it's message.

Hey Jacob

The Children of Men

watership down

i love this movie so much that i kinda dont wanna read the book.

The Big Sleep is much better as a movie.

Humphrey Bogart being cool vs a first person narrator repeatedly telling you how cool he is

Kesey's good. Pick up Sometimes a Great Notion.

In Bruges.
New Blade Runner (And most of the movies by that director)
The Revenant.
There Will be Blood.
Det Sjunde Inseglet; if you're Scandinavian, or perhaps speak low German or Frisian, or if you don't mind reading subtitles.
Memento.
For a Few Dollars More. (Greatest last act of any movie.)
Moon.
>These are just great movies tho tbhfamalam

no
the movie takes just enough to understand Bateman's character and there's nothing wrong with it
the book just repeats itself over and over

do tell me pls what the director left out

east of eden was really good

>Point me to any glimmer of meaning or insight in his body of work

Eraserhead is a perfect depiction of the fear of being a father because our own children are tightly connected to our own death as they are the fullfillment of our biological duty

such a great fuckin movie

The book is darker, and shows how the nurses 'torture' the patients in a more thorough way. Also, the book is from the perspective of one of the patients, not McMurphy, and considering which patient it is, I recommend that people watch the movie first.

But seeing as how you've already seen the movie, if you're interested in the book just read it. It shouldn't spoil or 'damage' the movie in any way, even though the movie is much better.

>The Maltese Falcon
>The Asphalt Jungle
>The African Queen

Oh, what a coincidence. They were all directed and written or co-written by John Huston.

>High Sierra

Another one, written by Huston only, and a very pretty piece of writing it is, too, published by the University of Wisconsin Press as part of the Wisconsin/Warner Bros Screenplay Series. (W.R. Burnett was a bretty gud writer, btw; Asphalt Jungle was probably his best.)

One more for good luck:
>The Last Picture Show

Honorable Mention (almost but not quite as good as the book):
>The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Maybe a more interesting subject is movies that were *better* than the book they were based on. But I'll leave that for another thread.

It's not duty, it's instinct.

Huston’s Wise Blood adaptation missed the mark a little for me. It loses a lot of the book’s humour.

Shawshank redemption.
The road

David Lynch isn't a film dumbass

Black Day Blue Night
Kalifornia
Just Looking
Love Bites

Essentially any film with Michelle Forbes in it in the 90s.

No Country

>meaning or insight
How about just pleasure? I fucking loved Lost Highway.

sorry you can't be here if you're under 18

I really like A River Runs Through it, and I thought the changes for the movie were mostly improvements