Try to be completely sincere

>try to be completely sincere
>realise I forgot how to do that and find myself peeling back layer after layer of irony and never really touching base

anyone else know this feel? i don't think i can write a sincere paragraph if my life depended on it.

Other urls found in this thread:

philosophy.as.uky.edu/sites/default/files/The Absurd - Thomas Nagel.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=caMfvhKIgBo&t=59s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yea well i wanna Die I Wish I Would Die I need to Fucking Kill Myself or Die I Should Not Be Alive I Dont Deserve to Live Due TO Past Mistakes I Should be Punished With Killing-towards-Me-Making-Me-Die-All-The-Way is problem why i have to write weird

Your entire post seems genuine enough.

Stop trying to """be real""".

>couldnt write a sincere paragraph if my life depended on it.

is this a sincere post?

Let me try

i really do not like most people. Many are ugly. Most are under the influence of subversive forces. When I was a libertarian I was mad because they wanted me shot for not paying taxes, but today I want them shot... for destroying tradition, the human race, and the planet. I hope this rotten world will be completely burnt up soon

Im not a writer as you can probably tell, but let me know if it was sincere I tried with decent effort

i dont have any sincere feelings

>try to be sincere
>remember everyone hates people who are sincere

DFW killed himself because he spent too much time worrying about being authentic and not enough time being happy with his own authenticity
He is literally a bad role model

why bother reading someone who couldn't even live with himself. the only sincere moment in the life of David Foster wallace was when he kicked away the chair. the rest of his life was a lie, the new sincerity was a joke whose punchline was the creaking of a leather belt around the rafter.his literary career was a menagerie of self help lies told to keep his depression at bay. the audience pussy and drugs were the ghosts at that feast of hypocrisy. the depression was warranted because behind all the gimmicks and the self awareness and the bandannas was no discernible talent

I guess you boys have a point.

Congrats you are Veeky Forums normie

Sincerity is dead and it's never coming back. If you act sincere, everyone thinks you're a sperg.

when you're being ironic you say, are you sure that's not actually what you're feeling and thinking? do you disagree with what you say? is it lying? maybe your idea of sincere is off? attempting to appear sincere isn't sincere

challenge: write something without worrying about sincerity. in fact, be sarcastic as fuck. be 'ironic'. look at it. read it. identify the lies and rewrite it line by line, with your actual thoughts and feelings. leave anything alone that's true

Is your liver diseased but you refuse to go to a doctor out of spite, too?

Who can really decide what is sincere and what is not?

yeah exactly; no one knows what's going on in your head. if you learn how to stop thinking, everything you do will be sincere

He was a beautiful and creative writer, and the moments he crafted relay our own real doubts. He couldn’t not convey that to us, and suicide is a temporal choice, not the final word on a whole life or body of work.

>destroying "tradition"

people and their traditions have been consistently shitty more than not. we, as modernists (and we really are), are certainly experiencing high amounts of instability but the only way out is through. we can and will do better (I hope) but in the meantime industrialism and modern capitalism has made our social relations fraught with instability, exploitation, and cruelty.

the absolute best we can do is continue to move towards something new stoically, humanely, and with all of our capacities that so-often are hammered out of us before they have a chance.

Eventually you'll grown out of this. Or pull an hero.

Taxes are a great part of human tradition for millennia. It's almost like you want to pick and choose what beliefs other should follow to make your sheltered life even more easy.

Don't fall for the b8. His comment is pasta btw

That’s so obviously not sincere.

It's funny that you would ask that on an Anonymous image board.

Aside from memes, lies and trolls, people tend to be brutally sincere here because of the total lack of identity.

I can tell you that I've been addicted to pain killers for the better part of a decade, and am afraid to stop taking them because I fear I'll hate my wife if I'm sober. You don't know me, you have no way of finding out who I am. I wouldn't tell anyone that IRL, but here I can get it out.

Embrace anonymity, OP. Type exactly what you're thinking in response to other's posts. Use it as practice.

>Slavery is a great part of human tradition for millenia.
lol yeah desu senpai so was the fuedal system but you aren't defending that with some shitty analogy

I am not a traditionalist cuck, why the fuck would I defend tradition?
Besides, society has quite a few examples proving it works just fine without slavery or feudalism.

Sincerity is boring.

???

muh myth of progress

Learn to read.

okay i'll be sincere

you know that thing in Hitchhiker's guide where they show you your place in the universe and it drives you mad?

well

our brains evolved to keep us alive, right? Not to see objective reality. So it stands to reason if there was a thought that could drive us to suicide, it would be bred out of us. Just like it's impossible to picture 20 golf balls at once it's impossible to really appreciate the pointlessness of life and if we really truly did we would just lay down and die. So that's my fear. That we can never truly appreciate how horrible life is because our brains won't let us, but that doesn't change the objective reality that life is torture and we'd be better off dead.

>impossible to picture 20 golf balls at once
False. I just did it.

no you didn't. your brain can't actually picture anything past groups of 4. After that it breaks it down into 4s, 3s, and 2s. You might have pictured 5 groups of 4 but you didn't picture 20.

Nonsense

look it up

>don't trust your own direct knowledge
>trust a random (((study))) instead
Hopelessly broken, are you. Are you simply intimidated by people with better visual-spatial intelligence?

>hey, guise, I can communicate with spirits and predict the future
>don't trust studies telling it's all non sense, that's what (((THEY))) want you to believe!

>hey, guise, I can communicate with spirits and predict the future
This isnt even a strawman, I dont even know what this is

I, whilst writing this post, am currently imagining 20 GOLF BALLS.

You, whilst quivering in autistic rage, pretend that some shitty study by some hook nosed NERDS changes this FACT.

>I, whilst writing this post, am currently imagining 20 GOLF BALLS.

look out guys

we're dealing with the smartest poster on Veeky Forums right now

>changing the subject, sarcasm
Cowardice and womanliness, I hope you do not falsely consider yourself to be a man

I am in fact superior to you in Visual-Spatial intelligence, honour and manliness.

tagged as "20 golf balls user"

how do i upvote on this site again?

This is not reddit, its funny how as soon as you are defeated and humiliated you squirm away and deflect.

Admit your mistake, and perhaps you will one day become a man worthy of the name

how do i know you're picturing 20 golf balls

how do i know you're not lying.

except i do know you're lying because it's impossible

>except i do know you're lying because it's impossible
cope.

You know I am Visual-Spatially superior than you.

i know you're a pathological liar

yeah and a government could manage the public infrastructure without involuntary taxation but you're in love with the idea

Projection.

I pictured four groups of 20 so fuck you

SINCERITY IS THE ABSENCE OF METHOD OF APPROACH
INTENTIONAL SINCERITY IS A VENOMOUS SIMULACRA
RRREEEEEEEEEEEE

Btw "i'm trying to be sincere" is just less sincere way of saying "i'm trying to be authentic" which is less sincere way of saying "i'm trying to be real", well translating reality to writing with minimal lossage is kinda your job so

DFW killed himself for reasons totally unrelated to the fucking sincerity/irony dichotomy.

I have this issue too. I literally can’t write a sincere paper in highschool. I got As in AP lit anyways though because I did it well and adressed the pompt. Adress the prompt user, irony’s not bad if you’re goid at it.

Is it an American thing? Are you guys really such snarky ironic cunts IRL just like in shitty Hollywood movies and series?

Y-yes we are. All of us really are. Sarcastic often too. I don’t know what it is about us but sincerity is rare, same woth non fake friends.

Slit your wrists.

I'd say it's more of an internet generation thing

It's even worse than you can imagine, not just in that way, but in others too

What the fuck are you on about?
They can barely manage it with involuntary taxation

Like what? Depression?

notes from the underground truly is Veeky Forums: the book

thanks user, former /pol/ lurker coming to read more and more, like this board culture. lots of screeching though.

Stop caring about sincerity. It's a completely modern fixation.

>most [others] are under the influence of subversive forces
>I hope this rotten world will be completely burnt up soon

You are very clearly completely consumed by the subversive force called immediacy. that something outside of you (presumably those who destroy tradition) is the cause to despair and if only that were to be gone so too would despair. Your sickness is not a result of the degradation of tradition that is only a fucking spook, a misplacement of where your despair originates. You are looking for a simple answer, that humans can be perfect, that humans can exist according to your idea, but they wont. You exist inside an imperfect society as everyone else has. Be above the chatter, politics and ideology. be above the clearly suversive forces possesing you. Find a way to make the self compatible with the society and power stucture you exist inside of - for a free man can exist 5 steps from tyranny.

But I don't have despair

So....

>i hope this rotten world will burn up
you are lying to yourself user, how can this wish be compatible with a lack of despair. Actualize that shit homie

But why?
Aren't older people ironic too?Elaborate please.

this but unironically

Read this article by Thomas Nagle:
philosophy.as.uky.edu/sites/default/files/The Absurd - Thomas Nagel.pdf
It touches on irony as a component of our self-transcendence. It really cannot be escaped, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Sincerity requires work. It's not as if you one day decide to be totally yourself, you have have to go through your thinking and reactions critically: "why am I reacting this way? Do I really mean what I think I mean?"

It's sympathy and humility towards the self.

I feel like the general atheism/agnosticism of most of the present generation is directly related to this lack of sincerity. You don't see many religious people who are deeply ironic.

>Most are under the influence of subversive forces
>ugly, rotten, tradition, the human race, and the planet
>implying those notions aren't some of the most subversive and insubstantial forces to exist

Hope is the opposite of despair, and stop projecting your own emotional makeup on me

>that shit homie
And you're part of my problem, with that wigger speak

I couldn't help but notice your use of "impact" as a verb, user

What's that all about?

You should learn the meaning of words before using them

I don't know, they try.

You do see many religious people (even priests) who are in a sense compromising with their beliefe and incorporating naturalist/scientist arguments into their "theology", like "of course the bible didn't REALLY happen".

That's basically the same thing imo. The point being that this failure to really, uncompromisingly believe in something that irony represents is present even amoung pious/religious people

Did he kill himself ironically?

How much longer until we get the greentext novel?

if you actually read the comment, it's the opposite of the myth of progress. there is absolutely no narrative or pattern, which is terrifying, and perhaps nearly impossible to face soberly. our reaction to history and our reckonings with historical imagination is very much a determination of own making. I throw in my two cents about where I'd like to see things go, but by no means is any of that a given. I too, feel very critical of the myth of progress, but I think it's also healthy to maintaining a criticality towards the myth of unalloyed regression. In some senses, Benjamin was as much as a determinist as Nostradamus. I think he's a good and vivid writer of a historical feeling but his analysis is still subject to blind spots, same as anyone.

Let me try and write my first sincere paragraph outside of a school assignment.

I remember thinking the world was currently being guided by smart progressive minds. I remember thinking that I was at the forefront of having the best worldview and others would soon follow. I remember having the ability to be blunt and confident about my views. I remember not believing in moral relativism.
Now I think my worldview doesn't even matter. I wish I could go back :/

this has a pretty good on the nose post-irony narrative throughout

youtube.com/watch?v=caMfvhKIgBo&t=59s

fuck you; I hate you

this. im actually too sincere, i have trouble appearing "cool" or attractive in any way, people only want to be around people who appear to be totally in control, where as to me if someone appears that way im instantly repulsed by by how fake they are

No.
Ur gay.

>Like what? Depression?
isn't that a pretty common reason for suicide?