Filmmaking books

Hey so, this MAYBE belongs on /tv/ but I know in advance noone on that board ever touched a book so, what's a good place to start reading about filmmaking?
I want everything. Film history, sound, editing, photography, etc.
I heard Film Art: An Introduction by David Bordwell and Kristin Thompson (pic related) is a good starting point. Is it good?

Other urls found in this thread:

paulrossen.com/paulinekael/trashartandthemovies.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Film Art is very good, it's the bible of every first year film studies student and covers everything you mentioned.

Been reading Howard Hawks by Robin Wood.

Hawks was an amazing artist, and Wood is at the top of his very good game in this book.

That Tarkovsky book, "sculpting in time" or something like that

Are you trying to make films? I have some knowledge and experience if you have basic questions.

One tip of advice, if you wanna get in depth behind the camera you will learn a lot faster by taking an intro to 35mm photography class. For some reason film books I've been exposed to don't really expound on the creative potential in different lenses, shutter speeds, depth of field etc. if you understand these concepts in their purest photographic sense you'll stand out. If you just wing camera stuff you limit the creative potential. Plus filmmakers in my experience are more likely to be camera retarded. Photographers are your friend.

I recommended Creative Camera Control by Peter Laytin. I briefly learned under him, and he learned under Minor White, who learned under Ansel Adams.

To jump on OP's question, what are some good autobiographies from people in the film industry, preferably directors?

Not an autobiography but Eraserhead Stories is my go to making of documentary if I need indie film inspiration.

Akira Kurosawa has also shed some insight on remaining inspired. "Films cost money, but pen and paper costs nothing. All great films start with a great script."

I don't know if I'll ever get into filmmaking perse, since I am studying engineering r/n but I do love film and I would definitely consider taking courses and trying to get into the industry

I'll be honest, it can be a massive waste of resources and time if you're not at least inspired. Try a cheap camera and fall in love with visual style, if you feel like you wanna make a short, don't worry about big set ups or proper sound, focus on visuals. A lot of people find out the hard way that the work isn't all that great or for them. If you end up really really liking it, expand.

Also if you're not social your only hope to winning people over is a good script.

Verso and Wallflower Press have tons of good books about film. Literally go on gen.lib.rus.ec and type those names in the "publisher" section. My personal recommendations (outside those two publishers) would be "In the Blink of an Eye" by Walter Murch, an accomplished editor and "Sculpting in Time" by Tarkovski.

Audiovision by Michel Chion.

If you like it, you can check his other works, he's about the only dude to study sound in film for itself rather than just the poor relation of image.

paulrossen.com/paulinekael/trashartandthemovies.html

trtrdtvdtvd

An indispensable book for filmmakers.

Deleuze's books on cinema are worth a read.

I did a minor in film in university. We used both this book and another book from Thompson & Bordwell: Film History. Both are great and quite easy to read. History is the larger book, but also brought me more. I would suggest reading both (probably Film Art first) and then finishing up with James Monaco's "How to Read a Film"

those are more about philosophy than film proper

The American Film Industry by Tino Balio

Perhaps not for beginners but the sort of critical thinking it invites really makes cinema have an even greater depth of interest

OP here. Just wanted to say that, god damn Film Art is IMPOSSIBLE to find in any format but pdf.

The 9th edition is on LibGen in the .epub format, the 10th is only in pdf, true.

What are some good screenwriting books/guides

Really? Can't find it, never used that website be4

wops nvm I found it. thanksyouvery much really