$100 Kindle Voyage on Craigslist. Should I go for it or should I hold out for the Oasis?

$100 Kindle Voyage on Craigslist. Should I go for it or should I hold out for the Oasis?
t. Disgruntled Kobo owner

What's the problem with Kobo? Have you tried KOreader with it?

Sure

you can get last years paperwhite model at best buy for 40 bucks... not sure why you need the best and newest if you are only using it for reading

Honestly like Koreader less than Kobo's main software. I don't like the file tree interface. It seems that there are less font options (the best thing about Kobo) and I don't have ragged left-align. Probably have to download an extension for that. And honestly I'm sick of fine-tuning and tweaking and hacking to get the optimal reading experience when Kindle just fucking works right away. I liked Kobo's base software until an update made it fucking freeze all the time.

Had a Paperwhite 2 and gave it to somebody. Was wanting something a little different.

>wanting something a little different

Can I ask why? I've had my paperwhite for for about 4 years and it's everything I think I could want from an e-reader. The only thing that I could think I'd want from the Voyage or Oasis is the flush screen. The paperwhite has a bevel and I regularly have to wipe it down. Other than that I'd say it's absolutely perfect.

I don't know, boredom? The consumerist desire for something "new?" The main thing I would want--and this is why I'm interested in the Oasis--is a bigger screen, becuase I would occasionally want to read an erotic doujinshi or a format-intensive PDF.

I got an H2O v2 recently. Being waterproof and the 'flux' lighting are killer features I couldn't live without now: I can now read in the tub under candle-light comfortably which is absolutely sublime.

Is that your tub?. )

I feel you, dawg. There's been times I've been tempted to upgrade, but she does me right, everytime. The new Oasis is pretty sexy, and to think it's about an ounce lighter than my paperwhite. Razor thin, too. Idk if that's a good selling point for me. I kind of like the bit of bulk I get with mine, feels more solid. I may treat myself this holiday season.

>$100 ereader

>thinner
Except for the bulky side that isn't. Not that that really matters.

Problem?

Bump.

Buy it. I have it and it's good

$220 tho.

Scratch that. $240. And extra for the leather case. I'd be spending close to $300.

Someone please spoonfeed me on how to let me sync my sideloaded Kobo books to my phone and how to recently read manga the way that Kindles do.

I mean the Voyage

I've seen a bunch of free Amazon Kindle books recently I want to read. Are they actually free or do you have to pay for an account of something? Can you do it on an app, and if yes is there a tablet with an ereader screen out there?

Oh.
Dat seven-inch screen tho.
Seriously tho, what does the Voyage have over the Paperwhite? Also the Kobo has been running okay as of late. I've been using the main firmware again instead of Koreader and do adore how attractive it looks.

Finally got to see the Oasis hands-on. It's nice. But I guess the bigger screen ends up not mattering that much. Saw the Voyage, too. Not crazy about it.

I wish, but same ambiance.

Kobo's firmware has been getting abmormally stable recently, but they ruined the home screen to shill more (although still nowhere near as bad as Amazon)

There's thousands of classics for free. All you need is an Amazon account.

There are unlimited free books on soulseek

How do I make Koreader have as many font options as the base Kobo OS, and how do I make it have a ragged right margin? It's so ugly.

Page turning buttons are a must. You can just flip pages without moving your hand, just increase the force on one of the fingers you're holding the thing with for a second.
And the level glass plate that allows you to actually clean the darn thing properly.

Can anyone suggest me a decent e-reader under 100-150 bucks that I can use for pirating books and pdfs like the cheap fuck that I am?

Would the Kindle Paperwhite work for me?
I need something I can read textbook pdfs as well as books.

Ereader screens are too small for text book pdfs. You would need a tablet or laptop for that.

Never use textbook pdf with ereaders. It just doesnt work.

The voyage has buttons as well as the touch screen, and an overall better design.

I don't like the vibrations. And really I don't see it as that much more appealing than the Paperwhite. Moot point, though, as I've warmed up to my Kobo. I just need to never update it, lest I cause it to freeze again. Thinking of factory-resetting it to get rid of Koreader and just keep it cleaned out. And I figured out how its manga navigation works. If only there were a feature similar to Amazon's send-to-Kindle.

Just get a used nook glo for cheap

avaid kindles at all cost

>I don't like the vibrations.
You can turn them off, but if you use a case you can't feel them anyway.

Why? Because muh big corrupt organization?

The Voyage is useless now. Before the recent paperwhite upgrade it had a higher resolution screen and a better front light, but now all it really has is a nicer design and page turn buttons

They use a proprietary format. It's not really an issue given that you can just use calibre to reformat any ebook, but it does create an extra step when you're sideloading books

Same issue with Kobo, since sideloaded epubs won't let me change the font or line spacing, so I have to either delete a stylesheet with my computer or convert to kepub. It's the same situation.