Why does reading James Joyces books feel the same as reading this? Am I just a brainlet?

Why does reading James Joyces books feel the same as reading this? Am I just a brainlet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_FzUJl-wB1s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Am I just a brainlet?
no, just take your time and read carefully while picturing the imagery.

Dubliners and Portrait are very plainly written. Don’t run before you can walk.

Portrait is what im reading

Try to read a bit faster unironically. String together the sentence meanings instead of trying to interpret each one. It could also be your edition, I've often been distracted by small shit like if the paper or don't was to my liking

Honestly, scrawl margin notes during Portrait about what you believe to be literally happening in each paragraph Also write what seems significant about his language use. I know that seems like a fucking English assignment, but it's Joyce. If you don't try to break it down piece by piece, you can lose the essence of the book quickly.

Just remind yourself what's happening and what the primary line of action is every once in a while

Autism

The proper way to read any book is to read it all the way through the first time and then you can do whatever. It'd be such a shame to ruin your first experience of a great book by constantly consulting other things.

Joyce is the most overrated meme in the history of literature.

then you're fucked kiddo.

>am i just a brainlet?
yeah

take it literally

It is about a life of a man, from babyhood to university. You may be put off by characters saying weird shit, making you think it's metaphorical, but it isn't; it is based on Joyce's life, but what is being described is what is happening in the story. Also, college means school in this context.

Joyce was a genius who had his head so completely up his fucking ass that he warped back around to pseud-tier. Even worse are his fans. EVEN WORSE are his fans who think Ulysses has a happy ending.
Pro Tip: Stephen Daedalus is a piece of shit who can't even make empty gestures to make his presence bearable to those around him. He thinks he's a hero (original name was supposed to be Stephen Hero) because he lives the edgy "I will not serve" life, but he ends up serving his delusional and worthless idea of art.
>Portrait of the Artist as as Young Man
"Shieeeetttt fuck all this politics and church and shiet. Imma go to Paris and be an auti-.. I mean, an artist and shiet, nigga"
>Ulysses
"Shieeeeetttt being an artist is hard when I don't actually do anything worthwhile. Now I'm gonna be even pissier with everybody, ignore my starving family, CONTINUE doing nothing worthwhile, and spend every day getting drunk."
"Oh, also, the only person who's gonna deal with my bullshit is some pervy jewish cuckold. xDDDDD"

>here's my argument against joyce
>describes flaws in the characters of his book, passionately
Haha, you're a fucking fool, user.

I feel like joyce fans are the Sonyggers of Veeky Forums

portrait has some parts that are not easy to understand if you're not used to them or havent read other authors, similar authors. dont let memers here discourage you, and just read it and if you dont get it just keep going.

>that part in portrait describing hell

wtf i'm a devout catholic now

This high school tier criticism is plaguing this board. Same thing in that Sylvia Plath thread. Actually, I suspect you're the same user.

Get St. Robert Bellarmine's "On Hell and Its Torments".

I don't know if Joyce ripped off that treatise directly, but the language, style, and content is extremely similar; but Bellarmine's is better.

Hey, looks like someone put it online

youtube.com/watch?v=_FzUJl-wB1s

because he always writes the same book
>muh jesuits
>muh catholic dogmatism
>muh irish indipendence
>muh dublin

SAD!

Go ahead and, instead of calling me a high school student, tell me how Stephen isn't a shithead. Please. I'm literally begging you because I see no redemptive qualities in his (and, therfore, Joyce's) character.

Characters dont have to be good people to be interesting user.

hey man maybe reading just isn't for you

That's not what I'm implying at all, if you had actually taken the time to read my post. I was using the character of Stephen, who is a stand in for Joyce, to explain why Joyce's literature is genius, but terrible. Joyce and Stephen BOTH have their heads up their asses, which is either a sign of absolute self-awareness or pure delusion on Joyce's part. Either way, it makes for a shitty read, 80 percent of the time, without the textbook of annotations to accompany.