What can I skip in the old testament?

What can I skip in the old testament?

Is literally the superior one

oi vey, what you should be asking is "can I skip the new testament entirely?"

You can probably jump over Dinah's child rape.

Maccabees

If you're reading it one book at a time in order for your first time, don't. Find a plan that does a readthrough based on topical relevance that also explains why it is ordered that way. A lot of the books overlap chronologically, and some of the books are more like spreadsheets than narratives or poetry.

You can't skip any of it. It's all canon. Just take it one book at a time.

Do one book a day. If its a long book (like the history books, or the prophets like Isiah) do 12 chapters a day.

You should try and read the Apocrypha one day as well. I've done a full OT/NT reading but still haven't gotten around to apoc. yet

all of it

God wants Jews to obey
They disobey
He punishes them

Repeat

There I just saved you a lot of time

I read it right through and it was unironically fun

Nothing. Read Leviticus.
The coward's way out. Real men read the Bible in its proper order, in the original language, in one sitting.

All of it

Just divide it up.

>The Torah
Obviously important, but you can skim legalistic parts and suffer through boring parts.

>The Historical books
Mostly important and literarily significant, some more than others, but you can read them at your leisure and not as a continuous stream.

>Wisdom literature
Even more fun to read at your leisure and not as a continuous stream. No narrative. Simply collected wisdom.

>Major Prophets
Like the History books.

>Minor Prophets
Ignore or peruse at leisure.

Same deal with the New Testament, really. No need to read it in order.

These

>Gumbi is why Bugs has been getting fat? I thought it was carrots..

Also listen to this user, OP. Don't skip any of it. In fact, read shit that wasn't even included: the Nag Hammadi library, the Apostolic Fathers, Justin Martyr, etc. Hell even read Szekely's Essene Gospel of Peace if you want to larp as a 2nd century vegan.

Please don't skip anything. The more you wallow in it the more the tonal shift of the NT will shock you.

>mfw The Bible is unironically the best book I will ever read.

Feels bad.

Old Testament is patrician and from a time when Jews were actually part of a complete society and not a group of wandering castrati with a shattered caste system

read Leviticus 10 times and skip everything else

You mean before all the real Hebrews converted to Christianity and Pharisaism as we know it fully metastasized?

>implying it matters at all whether or not goy-cattle read the tanakh, although of course they can give money to the JPS if they want

>implying their souls aren't composed of just one circle-thingy while jewish souls are composed of three-circle-thingies

Old Testament: "Obey out of fear!"
New Testament: "Obey out of love."
Classic good-cop/bad-cop routine.

The OT is pure bronze age kino

Do not skip ANY of it. Not one tiny bit - DO YOU HEAR ME OP!?

You would be missing out. BIG TIME.

Of course you can't. Christ, Paul, and all the Apostles were well versed in the Hebrew Scriptures and traditions - citing them several times in fact. In truth, the validity of Christ's Messiah-ship lies in the OT.

Now run along, you have Scripture to read.

This is a simplification born of ignorance.

Is there nothing to fear when Paul says in Romans 9, "What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction," and urges us in 2 Timothy to cleanse ourselves and be vessels for honorable use? Is there nothing to fear when Christ appears to John and chastises the churches?

Did it change? Is not the fear of the Lord still the beginning of wisdom? Without this reverential fear, can a person ever approach the point where they are perfected in love and there is no need of fear any longer?

>With that said, your joke was still worth a chuckle.

user JUST READ PENTATEUCH, SAMUEL AND PROVERBS/PSAPMS/ECCL ALSO JONA AND JOB AND MAYBE DANIEL OR EZRA JOSHUA AND JUDGES ARE NEAT

Are you kidding? Skip Isaiah and Ezekiel? WHAT ARE YOU ON?

On a literary forum, you're literally telling him to skip Jeremiah - a book whose entire structure is chiastic poetry which has been studied by literary scholars for thousands of years?

Now go on, you have Scripture to read.

2 Timothy is pseudepigraphy. Paul only wrote seven of those epistles. This isn't a matter of opinion. It is science.

Skip Leviticus on your first read-through, but go back to it later. Genesis, and Exodus have a continuing narrative, beginning with the creation of the world, and ending with the Jews wondering in the desert, with God promising to appear in a tent, and give them a whole book of new laws. Then Leviticus is that book of Laws. Then Numbers consists of them going around counting all the Jews, and figuring out the Logistics of the following pilgrimage. Then Deuteronomy is just Moses going around lecturing everybody for not obeying the laws in Leviticus, before he dies, and gets replaced by Joshua.
Then the book of Joshua FINALLY brings the narrative back, after three books of nothing. With Joshua conquering city by city, and tribe by tribe, until the Jews rule all of Caanaan, then he dies, and says that the Jews are all shit, and none of them are fit to replace him, so rather than having a single chief, or King, they set up a system of governing "Judges", and that's as far as I've read so far.

>MUH SCIENCE

Kek. This word gets thrown around so frequently now. I guarantee I can find dozens of dissenting scholarly opinions on your so-called "scientific fact."

>t. Phys/Maths major

>it is traditionally considered to be the last epistle Paul wrote before his death
>They internally claim to have been written by Paul, but a minority of modern writers dispute that assertion. Those known as the "Pastoral Epistles" (Timothy, 2 Timothy, and Titus) are regarded as pseudographs by a small minority, but the vast majority of scholars consider them genuine.

Wikipedia has spoken.

The methods they use to determine which of the letters paul wrote are scientific (mathematical models) and the probabilities are overwhelmingly decisive. Yes, there will always be 'scholars' that go with the .00001 probability just as there will be creationist scholars, but does that really say anything about the actual situation?

Oh I know about the methods they use, but, in the end, what your """"facts"""" rest on is opinion, and is therefore mere scholarship, and not science.

Also, your point of view is in the minority.

Please try a different source...

Why wouldn't it be science if it relied on statistical analysis? I guess I just don't understand the threshold for science.

Numbers and leviticus. Especially those parts detailing how much tribute you owe to the fucking rabbi

Those books, especially Leviticus, are important. Leviticus is full of symbolism which will be relevant throughout scripture.

FAIR ENOUGH THANKS FRIEnd

Go straight 2 quran

You can't skip anything, every last begat is of the utmost importance to modern Christians.
t. pseud