Overrated

Why does Veeky Forums love this book? It's not that good, most stories are very hit or miss.

An Encounter was great though.

it's something like a portrait of Joyce, the artist, as a young man.

Araby and Little Cloud were quite good

Granted, not every story was great. But Joyce's prose transpires humanity through every sentence and it is beautiful.

No it's a portrait of Dublin around the turn of the century

>But Joyce's prose transpires humanity through every sentence and it is beautiful.
You're some next level pseud

>It's not that good, most stories are very hit or miss.

>An Encounter was great though.
/mu/ tier criticism with reddit spacing. Fuck off

sorry to use this word but it is fucking comf(y)forting, we can always relate to something on every story.

'An Encounter': who didn't skip class as a kid to do some stupid shit? It is even nostalgic to read it, the emotion, the adrenaline of doing something forbidden, the fear of being caught mixed with the feeling of liberty. Who didn't have that one friend who'd always 'funk out'? And the dialogue with the old man? The mysterious, strange unknown.

In 'The Sisters', how Joyce express the emotions of a kid, its extremely beautiful too. "Tiresome old red-nosed imbecile!"

All that mixed with the genius writing of Joyce, its wonderful.

as user said.

Why do you post OP? You're not very smart nor well read

The Dead was the best story, by far.

The only story I can say I truly enjoyed was the first one and the one which ends with the dad beating his son whilst pissed.

Joyce's prose is shit tier.

*stories

Does Veeky Forums lack the language skills for proper criticism, or do its posters so little respect each other that they don't bother putting effort into anything?

every time you put real effort into a post the thread disappears
just make quips and shitpost like the rest of us
there is no proper platform for literary criticism on the internet

Stop saying "Stories", they are obviously chapters, anons.

reddit is that way son

>Joyce's prose is shit tier.

Yes, an opinion can be wrong. Yours is.

don't forget it's a novel!

The latter. No one responds to thoughtful criticism here so I just come here to blog and talk shit.

The first one you said

Little Cloud is the best