I want to make Ramen but I never made it before

I want to make Ramen but I never made it before.

Ive got some ingredients like pork belly, pigs feet, pork bones, chicken bones, eggs, alkaline wheat noodles, soy, mirin, sake, ginger, scallion, garlic ect...

I will make a marinade for the pork belly and the eggs and I will cook them and set them aside while I make the Tonkotsu ramen broth.

I plan on tying up the pork belly and searing it then marinading it and cooking it sous vide for a few hours and then let it rest for half a day before slicing. This will be my Chashu.

The eggs will be soft boiled and then soaked in the same marinade for 12 or so hours.
Marinade:

Garlic, Ginger, Scallion

Sake, Mirin, Soy, Salt, Sugar.

Boil in pot, set aside

```

I dont know what other kind of toppings I should put on my ramen.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-umev-TRAHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=mAG48p1ryn0
youtube.com/watch?v=6l54cG0Wb68
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Get ready to continuously fail to achieve restaurant quality flavour because ramen broth is very hard to make at home. Don't forget to cook the broth for over 24 hours

Just buy Maruchen what are you doing

>Maruchen

lmao are you kidding?

Instant packet noodles cannot compare to real ramen.

I am pretty good at making soups.

I frequently make chicken stock at home and use it for many things, but I have not made Tonkotsu broth before.

Ramen is one of the few dishes which is totally acceptable to not make from scratch yourself

Well ya its a quick and easy street food that you can buy for little money.

But I just wanna do a homemade version of it. Not an instant broth but a real broth made from bones because this is healthy.

I gave up instant ramen many years ago. But I wanna have the real thing at home instead of going out for it.

Restaurant quality tonkotsu broth is much harder to make than soups and chicken stock. Your tonkotsu will come out bland/lacking in certain flavours unless you are given an exact recipe from a ramen restaurant. Downsizing the recipe for single servings also drastically changes the flavour as opposed to preparing it in an 80 Qt stock pot

This guy is full of shit. Like really full of it.

I dont plan on making a single serving. But not a huge batch either.

My family is gonna eat the ramen.

Ive got a couple pounds of pork bones and pigs feet and some chicken bones. Its enough to make broth for us.

I am following youtube vids for how to make the Tonkotsu broth.

youtube.com/watch?v=-umev-TRAHQ

youtube.com/watch?v=mAG48p1ryn0

Might not be possible to actually "copy" japanese ramen the way you can buy it. I personally believe that you are doing fine when just using self-made real broth and fresh ingredients. After 50 years or so of trying variants you might have found out a good soup recipe. It's sad for us, but the best recipes are a secret most well hidden.

I am on your side, doint the same thing myself. I am cooking my own super-soup for 12 years now and I am just content with the flavor. Though I must admit that I might not be able to sell it. I like it because of its natural healthieness. But I must admit it lacks the certain kick. I therefor say that I am not a great cook since I am happy with bland taste as long as it's healthy and natural.

I am wishing you good luck.

Muh authentic nip cuisine

Yea ignore that tard OP

I think I am gonna try to sous vide my eggs.

Time to do a test egg

194 for 8 mins

Interesting toppings there. I see beansprouts and what looks like raw ginger and garlic. A bunch of chili paste and what is that brown powder?

I plan on trying to make black garlic oil.

>try making ramen with fancy miso paste from some organic place
>don't put a lot of miso paste in the water at first because that shit was expensive
>end up with bland, watery miso
>put rest of miso paste in
>still bland
>overcook the noodles while I try to figure the noodles out
>try to cover it up with toppings and hot sauce
>convince myself it's good

Now I pay 13 bucks for ramen like an asshole, but at least I don't waste my fucking time

You guys complaining about things being bland dont know how to season food.

I can cook so I am not worried, this soup is gonna be flavorful.

My first sous vide egg came out a mangled mess.

The shell stuck to the white all over the egg and it was impossible to peel.

So I did a 6 and 1/2 min boiled egg instead and this time I put baking soda in the water and the egg peeled perfectly.

That shit gives you cancer.

...But so does everything else, I guess, so do what you want.

I'm doing something this spring break, can't now because I'm in a dorm.

I'm thinking trotters, rib bones, maybe a chicken carcass? I've heard using a whole chicken works well, too.

>ramen broth is very hard to make at home
t. lacking basic culinary skills

You've either never had ramen at a proper restaurant or never attempted to recreate it

I used to work at Country Clubs and I made huge pots of beef Demi glaze so I am not scared of Tonkotsu Ramen broth.

Making broth just takes time, its not hard. Maybe if you are impatient.

What defines a ‘proper’ restaurant my culinary challenged friend?

Worry about making a good broth first before even thinking about toppings

I don't know what I am looking at here but I am into it.

Could also just steam 'em. Chef John has a good video for that.

For ramen it would be a restaurant that recreates flavours as done in Japan and uses the same style to prepare it. There are a lot of different types of noodle soup and many restaurants try serving something as Japanese ramen when it's broth and noodles resemble more of Thai or Chinese noodle soup. (pic related: "Ramen" from wagamama tastes good but the toppings, noodle and broth differ a lot with Japanese style ramen)

If you just want to create something that roughly tastes similar to Japanese ramen, it is not as difficult because you have more freedom with what ingredients you use, cut corners to simplify the recipe and sacrifice some flavour in order to prepare smaller batches at home.

For people who want to accurately recreate the flavours like a ramen restaurant, it will take more than a couple attempts to get the flavour just right; the devil is in the detail.

Real ramen is jusr spaghetti in chicken broth. The japanese eat that shit with corn and mayo. Stop being pretentious about something that was never a rich people food.

*makes your ramen*

>Real ramen is jusr spaghetti in chicken broth.
come back once you've actually tried restaurant ramen

>Stop being pretentious about something that was never a rich people food
There is nothing pretentious in trying to recreate something at home and it's stupid to say it's the same as maruchan instant noodles. Making pasta at home is not pretentious just because there is microwavable spaghetti available in stores

You're culinary challenged.

You have no standards.

>Real ramen is jusr spaghetti in chicken broth

Both things you said are wrong.

Its not just spaghetti because they use an Alkaline to make a chemical change in the noodle.

And Tonkotsu Ramen broth is translated as Pork Bones. It does often have chicken in it but its mainly made from pork.

youtube.com/watch?v=6l54cG0Wb68

MSG.

Every single ramen restaurant worth anything uses msg in their broth. No it’s not poisonous, it wont give you a headache. MSG is the isolated flavor of seaweed. That’s it. And it is 100% required for making ramen.
Have you ever been to some bougie ramen place and while all the ingredients were good and the broth was competent it was just missing something? That’s MSG. One small spoonful per bowl.
I cannot stress this enough. MSG is literally essential to Japanese izakaya food, and americans have a weird aversion to it for made up reasons.

6 1/2 minutes room temp eggs. Immediate ice bath. Soak in soy sauce overnight.
At the place I worked we would use the soy sauce leftover from making the chashu and it made them even better if you want to try that.

Make sure you blanche then wash the bones to remove the dark bits, that’ll help you get the nice white tonkotsu broth. Also if you can try breaking up the bones while boiling, its a little hard to do unless you have a full-sized stock pot but it leads to much richer broth.

Room temp eggs, gotcha. My test egg was cold

I plan to use equal parts soy sauce, mirin and sake as the pork and egg marinade.

Gonna braise the pork chashu in it and let it rest overnight, as well as the eggs.

I will blanche them, I know it helps to remove scum.

I will try and use a big stock pot and stir some like this guy

Ive done what youre doing and tried different marinades with mirin and other flavorings but in the end it doesn’t taste like chashu and all the places I’ve worked have done straight soy sauce. Not saying don’t try it, but in my experience I’ve been unpleasantly surprised