/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Reading Edition.
>Do you even read sff novels?
>What sff books you enjoyed reading this year?
>How many sff Books did you read this year?
>Recommend a book from the ones you read this year.

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg
SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries (incomplete, mostly pre-Millenium):
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

First for OP is a fag.

no

re:Malzan.

I really, really liked the first book. It was interesting, very creative, with fun camaraderie between the characters who are these hard-bitten veteran soldiers, fighting men and women, no use for officers. But now, it's all just getting to be too much. If I had to put my finger on why the story is losing my interest, I'd have to say "too much magic."
The whole thing with the warrens, the gods, the Tlann Imass with their immortality sundering ritual, the ghost dogs, the Azath houses, the Deck of Dragons, the gods mingling in mortal affairs, etc. etc. it's all just too much. This is a world where anything can happen, and consequently nothing that happens really has much weight. There are no meaningful consequences to anything. You know if a character dies or gets horribly injured, they can easily be fixed if the right person snaps their fingers and makes it so. And if the right person refuses to snap their fingers, there isn't likely to be a good reason.

>no ghostly Wolfe head hidden in the BG
It's like you didn't even try OP

If I had to rez every patsy that croaked on my watch I'd have no time for real wizard work.

I finally read The Book of the New Sun. Overall, its was... neat, I guess. Not sure what all the hype was about, though. It looks like it was mind blowing when it came out, but it didn't have any impact on me. Some parts were really fun and/or interesting, and the story is way better on a second read-through. Tbh I don't know wtf happened at the end of Shadow of the Torturer.

>implying anyone on this board reads at all.

Where is the guy who's obsessed with catgirls?

I think everyone who dies in Malazan stays dead outside people serving Hood. People might disappear, fake their deaths, or indeed recover from bullshit injuries, but actually dying is pretty formal. As for no weight, lots of fan favorites kick the dust and have no hope of truly returning to life, including many figures who 'snap the fingers'. I wouldn't rate lack of consequences as one of the problems with the Malazan universe.

Can someone give me some ideas to my short story I'm going to write? I need a character, and story

that's incredibly vague.

Yeah you know I just really struggled it was so long and boring and there was all this stuff that wasn't really explained and it just seemd like the author was trying to make it hard to read. Also I don't really care about the chain of dogs at all so its kinda boring.

the character is a medieval or renaissance era money-changer, gender is up to you.
the story is about finding the [insert local ruler's title here] stolen gold, which has been pilfered due to a misunderstanding of the exchange rate between two kinds of coinage. your character handled the transaction and is assumed to be at fault for this. they have three days to accomplish their task or be hanged.
hard mode: your character is the thief and needs to keep the money for reasons.

A young monk experiencing a demonic outbreak.

He dies at the end

>Where is the guy who's obsessed with catgirls?
>imblying
I'm trying to spend less time here.

THanks

I need your expert opinion on Hestia

Young black-furred felinoid servitor rebuffs the advances of a lecherous prince and is exiled. She decides to become a witch for revenge but is very bad at it. Falls in love with a rival prince who isn't interested but thinks she can work witchery on the other prince. They utterly fail at their plans and in the process she endears herself to him. Happy ending, etc.

What sort of opinion? It's pretty short and has a nice cover.
Spoilers:
Tragic feral kitty waifu gets domesticated (or does she) and tries to assist offworld engineer in saving the ungrateful rednecks colonists from her tribe.

how do you feel about this kat?

Isn't that the plot to Avatar?

Anybody in here read Octavia Butler's "Bloodchild"? One of the best SFF short fiction pieces I've ever read, hands down.

The Wolves are enough.

Here you go cunt.

Any other Donaldson fans here?

Her ears just aren't fuzzy enough to do it for me. Also /co/ is a horrible place.
As much as Avatar's is the plot to Pocahontas, sure.

Appreciate it

>Too Like the Memes
>great phil interludes
>great worldbuilding
>great plot, as opposed to the majority of hard sf, great prose, GOAT characterisation, all the characters have dubious motivations - two books in and you still aren't sure who you should put stock in, great conspiracies
>Mycroft descended from the GOAT almighty Veeky Forums combo of Gulliver Foyle and Jacques
>Palmer is a Wolfefag and Gundamfag
Books of the era. I can't wait to borrow/torrent The WIll to Battle.

Here. We're not well liked on sffg though.

So like real life? Where nothing we do matters in the end because we will all die?

Is just that one autist mang.

>Yeah you know I just really struggled it was so long and boring and there was all this stuff that wasn't really explained and it just seemd like the author was trying to make it hard to read. Also I don't really care about the chain of dogs at all so its kinda boring.
Brainlet struggled with a book, and because he doesn't have the iq to decipher the novels he calls it trash with no consequences.
Typical.

>brainlets trying to read BotNS
You guys shouldn't have shilled it so much.

>one autist

>implying God isn't real

Herro senpai

Depressing as fuck but pretty good. I never finished the third trilogy

Why is isekai the future of fantasy?

>www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-prince-of-dragons-christopher-paolini-and-the-rise-of-inheritance-20120308

Posting the article for that dragon user from the last thread.

what book should I read

The Bible

I had found it in the meantime, but thanks anyway.

The paolinis sound like insufferable bobo hipstery faggots tho.

what version

Which of these should I read next?

>tfw we only get crappy isekai without goblin harems and experience points

I like this cover best.

First trilogy was good, second was mediocre, Final Chronicles was so universally panned I never bothered reading it.

>op called me out on my shitposting
>he knows I don't actually read
>let me call him a faggot

This one solely for the cover

Isekai, and LitRPG, needs to be loaded onto a rocket and fired into the sun.

This

What font and size do you guys write in?

I've been using Times New Roman in size 10. Is that boring? I want it to be comfy to read and not pretentious looking or retarded.

>mfw Shallan finds a writhing inhuman abomination in Urithiru's basement

That was unexpected.

I'm looking forward to giving Seventh Decimate a try in November. Hopefully he can redeem himself with this new trilogy.

This one. It was a real pleasant surprise when I read it, much better than I was expecting. I'm actually looking forward to the sequel.

>tfw narnia would have been ten times as good with an incest harem

Ur a shit.

Are you the mecha-cunt who posted that chapter from Seven Surrenders fucking months ago?
If you're one and the same, thanks for finally getting me to read Palmer's wild ride, such a good recc.

>The Will to Shill

Only a one month now lads

Yes.
This can't come out soon enough.

I write in Courier New size 12. That's apparently what those short story mags want as the standard. Not that I'll get accepted anyway.

Why does it now feel like most posters on most boards even here in this general, are underage?

I liked the first book more than the rest too. Author kept on adding more stuff to build a deep world/plot/magic instead we got a shallow mess. Almost all the best bits were the parts were with the army which you see less and less of in later books.

Reading through Titus Groan of Gormenghast right now. Is the author going for Tolkien style writing? I'm on the third chapter and we haven't reached a plot point besides a new heir to Gormenghast has been born. It just feels incredibly slow.

Actually, I do.
>What sff books you enjoyed reading this year?
BotNS, Dying Earth, Jonathan Strange, Fifth Head of Cerberus, The Three-Body Problem (series), Hard to be a God and Left Hand of Darkness, to name the best ones.
>How many sff Books did you read this year?
About 20-25.
>Recommend a book from the ones you read this year.
>answering anything not BotNS on a recommendation

>hey, Veeky Forums, I want to write
>I have no imagination though

Which one of these was the best fantasy book published in 2017, /sffg/? Do you think any of them is worth a Hugo Award?

I recently picked up Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress, now going on chapter 5. The concept and the ideas are really interesting, but I'm finding all the teenage drama bits to be so off-putting and frankly bland that I'm considering dropping the book. Does it get better? Should I stick with it? I'm finding it very underwhelming for a Hugo and Nebulla winner

Tad Williams. N. K. Jemisin and Gaiman were decent. Haven't read the rest.

>people telling the guy to read this book when all they did was look at the cover art

I have only read Gaiman. It's basically a retelling of stories I already knew, while it's well written I would not say that it deserve any award.

Because it's Halloween /turkey time. Kids are out of school.

It's dinosaur fuel for a reason.

>kids out of school for Halloween

Not Anne Bishop's new series. I dropped it a few years ago. Can't say for the rest. I read sins of empire, Norse mythology and red sister. From those 3 I would give Gaiman the award for making norse accessible to younger persons in understandable prose. Rick Riordan has gone full fanservice PC, and that first Norse series I read from him was complete shit. Haven't read stone sky yet.

>From those 3 I would give Gaiman the award for making norse accessible to younger persons in understandable prose.
There's absolutely no shortage of dumbed down norse mythology since burgers are absolutely obsessed with turning it into games, comics and movies or whatever. So it has far less value than you give it credit for.

Not that user but the Gaiman's retellings are quite true to the originals, unlike most games and movies that bastardize the myths.

Does this look like /v/ /co/ otr /tv/ to you?

Is shadow and claw any good?

Sorry for not explicitly stating that writers of books have cribbed from norse mythology for a long time as well. I figured that went without saying but I guess it didn't. I'm not saying that you have to read the fucking Icelandic manuscript to the Poetic Edda but come on son.

This is what is turning me off from starting this series. There being so much shit going on and no tension. Gods and magical creatures and wizards and evrything and more. It feels like a highschool goth kid got together with a heavy metal kid and an english nerd and wrote it.

Yes. You should get Sword and Citadel as well, it's the second part of the series.

Don't listen to what people say of how complex the series is or how Severian is such an unreliable narrator. Don't even read it as a sci-fi story.

Read it as a book that leaves many things unanswered, as a book that is read like being in a dream.

So I've finished reading Jordan's part of WoT and so far I've really liked it despite its flaws.

If you're looking for a comfy read, something that you can enjoy in your armchair by a fire in a winter night, this is not the series for you. WoT is something you read when you crave fast-paced action, with minimal, to-the-point plot and brutal war scenes that will make your heart rate go through the roof. Don't read this in the evening unless you don't plan on sleeping.

Jordan imposes a relentless pace on the story. Here you will find no overly descriptive paragraphs, no tax-system, no irrelevant character, no five-parties political intrigues to determine who will attend the ball. The vivid action takes you from place to place, barely letting you catch your breath before taking it away again. There is a plot twist or a battle scene in nearly every chapter.

The characters are few and easy to follow up on. Although it could be argued that they feel hollow, that they lack background, they serve their purpose. Where Jordan shines is in the interactions between the characters, which all feel natural and flow smoothly. The harmony between the characters is heartwarming, and most of the women will make you feel serene just by their peaceful and dignified presence - the perfect counterpoise to the never-ending action. Compared to them, the men feel a little off.

All in all, WoT is a great read for brainlets who don't feel like remembering names from 7 books ago, or people who just want a wild ride.

What is the mahou shoujo madoka magika of /sffg/?
By mahou shoujo madoka magika i mean a book with a plot twist which brings sorrow and despair.

Read Do android dream of electric sheep. Bretty Good. Some shit didn't make sense though, like how dumb some of the androids act. Aren't they supposed to be super intelligent? Pretty fucked how Gordon cheated on his wife and it's never really brought up though. Overall good book.

Thinking of reading Alas, Babylon next.

The androids are just kind of autistic. That's AI for you I guess.

>Sorry for not explicitly stating that writers of books have cribbed from norse mythology for a long time as well
True. However, Gaiman's retellings are quite true to the originals, which hardly can't be said about parts cribbed by other various writers.

But if you actually care about authenticity you'd be reading the original texts instead of some britbongs novel where he looked up wikipedia beforehand. Especially since the only thing a brit could add or verify to the norse myths is how a Viking raid feels. Whereas if you wanted some sort of fun devil may care interpretation then you'd be better of playing Age of Mythology or something.

No one without a deep interest in either literature or mythology will read the Edda. Many people will however read literally anything Gaiman write and his book will give people a much better understanding than Age of Mythology (not hating on AoM, that's some good shit).

The series is mostly a drama revolving around relationships, so once the interest of Sleepless has worn off and you've gotten the gist of the plot, there's not much reason to plod to the end if you're not enjoying it.

Red Rising.
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant for the opposite.
Literotica.com

Did you even read the fucking book? Why do the pseuds in this general start spouting shit without even reading the novel they are discussing.
>this book is like that
>even though I didn't read this book to be sure about that statement

Isn't Hugo supposed to be strictly SF?

Haven't read any in the pic but I'll go with rowling for the meme.
Most likely gaiman tho because he's where it's at.

Also surprised that Hobb is still shitting out her garbage. When will she learn?
That ilona andrews stuff has the YA-est cover art tho. How terrible is it?
>#1 New York Times Bestselling Author
>it's on every Sanderson book too
>really makes you think

Any fantasy stories of the protagonist solving a murder? Like kriminology in a fantasy setting?

Lovecraft

Guards! Guards! and the rest of the books with the City Watch

Dresden Files, they're actually good