Is writing worth it?

Books (especially artsy books that try to do more than just tell a story) are by far the least popular entertainment medium so the people that like them tend to be sort of cultish.

Anyway, I've been thinking of trying to write something but I'd want to go for a style that's, say, Joycean-lite (lots of word play, opaque references, stuff like that) but I am in no way educated in literature so I feel like bookish-types wouldn't take me seriously but regular-types wouldn't be interested. Writing's fun and all, but we all know you'll hit a wall where you probably won't continue if you don't think you'll be getting something out of it (money, a publishing deal, book-fame) so should I even bother.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Paolini
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It is fucking hard and not worth it at all

Legit no one gives a shit.

If you actually had something to say you would be writing instead of wasting time on Veeky Forums. Don't bother writing when there's nothing there.

That about covers it

Muh asking is your answer

/thread

>Books are by far the least popular entertainment medium
Theater, opera and dance (particularly modern) are fucking nothing compared to Harry Potter and Hunger Games.

>I'd want to go for a style that's, say, Joycean-lite (lots of word play, opaque references, stuff like that)
Might as well write a love sonnet.

>Is writing worth it?
If you have to ask this question, no, probably not.

Just do it user. You know you're a creative person, but you'll never find your true calling if you don't just do things.

Heres the thing. Writing is art. Go over to ic, they talk about "making it" just as much as fit does interestingly enough. If you want to make it you have to write on a regimen.

As far as practicality. Theres alot that can be used for a writing career. Our society is natrative driven and who do you think drives that narrative? I mean hell, i bet they look for writers to craft their false flag operations.
Secondly a major hurdle to wether a writer is going to make it finding their own voice. I know its a canned phrase but take it with a grain of sakt and that grain of salt is this.
A writer should write about their passions, writers should also be curious, and they should make efforts to explore concepts on all angles , striving for complete apprehension of a subject. Total comprehension. So that they may digest and synthesize those expierences to deliver them into a processed easier to swallow vernacular to the writers target audience. Its unfortunate that writers in college mainly only have time to develop their writing skills rather than learning practical expierence that they have natural curiosity about.

Basically if you want to be a good writer or really a good artist in general, you need to be passionate about other things than just writing.
Youre getting too wrapped up in form and function to realize what those things are supposed to be used for in the first place.
Translating an expierence.

> i bet they look for writers to craft their false flag operations.
Putin unironically has a writer for his regime, who writes about a writer who works as PR man for a politician.

Good post.

Hard work is the foundation of everything worthwhile. There's no shortcuts.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Paolini

If you do things for fame or attention you will fail. If you enjoy writing for yourself be happy enough with that and you might get lucky. If you want attention get off Veeky Forums.

No one should ever expect anything more out of their creative pursuits especially if one would want to do something unique.

Clearly you don't have a story to tell, seeing as you're currently here instead of writing.
Secondly, if you don't have any talent at writing, you might as well give up before even starting.

>worthwhile

Talent is a bad meme. All skills are learned and individual differences are not significant enough to give anyone a vast edge over anyone else, we're talking about the most mentally adaptable species on the planet. A great deal of time spent practicing consistently in the right way will always produce advances in skill, but people like you saying and thinking things like 'if you don't have talent don't bother' breeds a culture of people that become self fulfilling failures because they honestly believe they've lost before they even truly started playing.
OP still won't make it though, he has put more value into anonymous opinions than putting in the required work.

The most important thing I writer can do is write. Regularly, religiously.

The second is read. If you're not into literature, you're not going to write a good book - period. If you're serious about it, start reading, start writing, and continue making a conscious effort to improve until you die.

This is the only good post ITT.

Good job user.

>we all know you'll hit a wall where you probably won't continue if you don't think you'll be getting something out of it

OP, some people just like to do stuff because it's fun, even if they get nothing in return. :D

>practicing consistently in the right way will always produce advances in skill

This is true, but a talented person will always be ahead of an untalented one. You either have it or you don't.

>Is writing worth it?
I've never asked myself this question even once, and if you do, that means you shouldn't write.

Writing a good piece of literature you can be proud of is supposed to be the prize itself, not a mean to an end.

the fact that you said Joycean-lite holy fuck kys lmaoo