I'll start:

>Calvin Coolidge's autobiography
>Black Rednecks and White Liberals by Thomas Sowell
>Time Machine by HG Wells

Hi dad

Oresteia
Stoner
Hamlet

All you faggots need to stop sucking off Dante or Joyce and read Hamlet right now, realize we are lucky enough to know the language of the greatest writer ever

Are you calling me old or calling your dad one cool dude?

The republic
Sketches from a Hunters Album
The Castle

This. Hamlet is the greatest masterpiece on earth. Veeky Forums cares way too little about Shakespear desu.

Disgrace by JM Coetzee
Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker
The Lime Works by Thomas Bernhard

Consider yourself judged.

Pretty sure most people posting on this board have already read Hamlet.

>Consider yourself judged
Was that supposed to be an insult?

The Remains of the Day
The Counterfeiters
East of Eden

>Black Rednecks and White Liberals by Thomas Sowell
>reading this coon's """books"""
/pol/acks, everyone

You and I have mildly similar taste
>Thomas Sowell's autobiography
>Dune
>Pompeii

If I'm from pol, why would I read behind a "coon"?

Is Dune good?

It's very good, but it can get kind of dense and verbose at times. Fantastic worldbuilding, I really appreciate that aspect of it.

>Is Dune good?
YA sci-fi for weebs.

>worldbuilding
Epic meme. You know a novel is trash when that's the only thing the fans mention.

To be fair, what's wrong with fleshing out a setting in great detail?

Lolita
Dorian Gray
Urth of the New Sun
Just started reading no bully

>We Can Build You by Philip K. Dick
>Dr. Bloodmoney by Philip K. Dick
>A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

Culture of Critique
Maps of Meaning
The Art of the Argument

The Book of he New Sun
Rhetoric: A Very Short Intriduction
The Republic

the godfather
east of eden
anathem

Suttree
American Psycho
Demian

Finishing up Cathedral by Carver and starting the trial atm.

hello stefan

The problem is that this happens a lot in sff novels: wannabes who played lots of dnd and can't write characters throw everything they have on the setting and, occasionaly, on a rigid storyline.The most successful author who does that is Sanderson, whose books feel like a big-ass table from IKEA. When the novel has more things going for it other than the setting, no problem; when the author can't write for shit, for all the "depth" of the world, the novel feels shallow.

Baudolino
The Long Ships
An Anthropologist on Mars

give us something to compare it with. What's an example to you that has great depth beyond scenery and setting?

>Underworld by Don Delillo
>Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
>The Story of the Lost Child by Ferrante

I like this idea

Norwegian Wood
After Dark
The Great Gatsby

you're either attracted to damaged women or you really relate to men who are attracted to damaged/hard women. You relate to men who are scorned by the ladies.

Dune? I haven't read it yet, I doubt the other user has read it either (I'm not ). Not saying that Dune has this problem, but I agree that worldbuilding feels "empty". I'd take a look at fantasy that's not epic (maybe sword and sorcery or something in between of epic/s&s: stories with heroes that are more personal, instead of end of the world missions with dozens of forgettable characters that feel like npc's.) Tolkien is an exception, as his books offer much more, despite the characters being archetypes.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Masters of Doom by David Kushner
The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

>Pretty sure most people posting on this board have already read Hamlet.
If only that were true

>but I agree that worldbuilding feels "empty"
*in plenty of sff books, I forgot to add.

>Hell's Angels - Hunter S. Thompson
>Beyond Good and Evil -Nietzsche
> Infinite Jest - DFW

too many "judge me", not enough judging

I first read a novel from a young lad from my country. I really liked his writing and I was craving for more but in the end it looks like he inspired himself from Murakami's style and realized it when I started After Dark. Idk, I just like the "In love with a girl" and the way it builds up to it.

OP should always say something like after 10 post only new ones allowed if you judge with a (you)

nice list bud, now read the aeneid
how is urth? read homer next, if you havent
why did you read so much pdk? ps ubik is his best work
now read gravity's rainbow

>Caliphate: The History of an Idea
>Latro in the Mist
>Molloy

Invisible Cities - Calvino
Submission - Houllebecq
The King in Yellow - Chambers

OP here, this is the new rule. Don't post unless you judge at least one person who hasn't been judged, unless there isn't anyone left.

Someone get this nigga a medal

>The Master and Margarita
>Ernst Jünger - Fire and Blood
>Memoirs of Milan Stojadinovic

What did you think of Suttree? It's been so long since I've read it, but I dip into parts of it at random every now and then to remember how it is. I don't know why, but its a book that has stuck with me more than almost any other

>A Theory of Justice
>Master and Margarita
>The Myth of Sisyphus

damn it, don't y'all read

Fuck me, didnt see that post, but anyways, i didnt read almost anything posted here, so how can i judge it.

But user, nobody on Veeky Forums reads

Thinking, fast and slow is genuinely fantastic. I thought it'd be pretty pleb psychology because it's been pushed so heavily in the mainstream but it definitely made me more aware of how I think and act. Surprisingly broad too

I guess you just wait for someone who did read the books and judges?

read a synopsis or judge them on at least one book. You've read the same book as the other guy

>>The Myth of Sisyphus
One of my all time favorite philisophical works. If only they taught Camus in highschool.

>why did you read so much PKD?
>read UBIK
I have read it. I've read all his most notable books by this point.

>The Art of Travel - Alain De Botton
>Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
>Richard III - Shakespeare

Urth was amazing. I'm was gonna start Homer anyway but gonna go through some shorter stuff (stranger, prince, art of war, clockwork orange, sickness unto death) then Moby Dick before reading some books on poetry from Veeky Forums wiki and and Mythology then, finally, start with the Greeks and go from there.

>Daisy Miller - James
>Phantastes - MacDonald
>Shadow Lines - Ghosh

I haven't read anything of my own volition in months

>stoner
>butchers crossing
and guess what third novel im reading?

He's a pseudo-libertarian conservative that worships Coolidge, Sowell, and all things sci-fi

>the violins of st. jacques - patrick leigh fermor
>the remains of the day - kazuo ishiguro
>a voyage to arcturus - david lindsay

Augustus :]

Huxley - Ape & Essence
Vandermeer - Souther Reach trilogy
Asimov - The Robots of Dawn

Currently slugging through Atlas Shrugged.

Sounds like an awesome dad to me

Console Warris by Blake Harris
The Waves-Woolf
33 1/3 on bizarre ride by the pharcyde

>the curious sea horse
>5 little ladybugs
>moomin's hide-and-seek
100% honesty, i've read over 5000 books over the last 2 years, but considering they probably average

you're a man who recognizes his own limits

yep. and my limit is having a 2 year old son. i love him more than anything else on earth, but proper reading has not been in the equation since he's been born.

I'm in the same boat soon. Son is 7 months and I should probably start reading to him soon.

Have you considered simple, coming of age tales? I mean if you're 2 year old is advanced enough, I feel like you could read something like Where The Red Fern Grows, if taken slowly.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun and you should wait till three or four

congrats.

where the red fern grows is on the shelf, but it's probably a bit much for 2. he'll listen to an entire chapter of pooh, though. and i'm going to get paddington soon.

Last five things I'd read from newest to oldest. Rate me harshly.

>Open Letter, Moldbug
>The Three Ages of the Interior Life, Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange
>Dominion: Tank Police: Conflict One, Shirow
>Cursed Pirate Girl, Jeremy Bastian
>The Middle East: A Brief History of the Last 2,000 Years, Bernard Lewis

>Concluding Unscientific Postscript to Philosophical Fragments
>The Recognitions
>Moby-Dick

weird, i think i read those three books sequentially (or at least roughly contemporaneously) as well.

Winnie-the-Pooh is god-tier writing. i have a 3y/o daughter, but i've been reading her Pooh since she was 18 months at least.

have you tried to explain any of the jokes yet? recently, my little one has been catching me chuckling at a phrase and asked what it means.

also, around the time he gets toilet-trained, you may want to look into the following books to help him start reading. they have some power beyond my understanding: they are very easy for kids to memorize.
>Dandelion (a lion who dresses like a dandy)
>The Little Engine that Could
>Guess How Much I Love You (about a father bunny speaking to his son-bunny)
>the Madeline books (although that might be too girly for your taste, I dunno)
many of the Little Golden Books, such as:
>The Tawny, Scrawny Lion
>Scuffy the Tugboat
>Prayers for Children (don't know if you're religious; it has coleridge and stuff and is Veeky Forums af)

/unsolicited advice

>Francis Fukuyama, Political Order and Political Decay.
>Molloy, Samuel Beckett.
>Hopscotch, Julio Cortazar.

>The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
>The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
>How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer

Edgy cunt

>Guess How Much I Love You
is that the one where the little bunny tells his dad he loves him and his dad says "oh yeah? well i love you this much more"? if it is, barf. we used to have it, but sent it to a thrift store pretty quickly. otherwise we have most of the rest of those, plus about 8 more shelves of kid's books. and yeah, it's crazy how he'll have a book read to him just a couple times now and then he can sit down and "read" it, reciting it page for page.

the Moomins are so good though. Tove Jansson is an amazing story teller and even better illustrator. Found an original copy of Comet in Moominland recently but it was about $95. Would have bought it if I had the extra cash.

yup. and its good. he may be my favorite author

The New Tsar: The Rise and Reign of Vladimir Putin

Poking a Dead Frog: Conversations with Today's Top Comedy Writers

Sick in the Head

>Childhood by Maxim Gorky
>The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
>Mother by Maxim Gorky

>Skating to Antarctica
>The Great Gatsby
>Waiting for Godot

disgrace is the shitttttttt

Crime and Punishment
Vol 2 of Knausgard's novel
Aeneid

Maus
Fahrenheit 451
Universal: A Journey Through the Cosmos(Brian Cox)

Which Aeneid translation and what did you think of it? (Both the text and the translation).

Not reading it in english, but it's Carlos Alberto Nunes' translation that preserves the original works meter. There is also the latin original side by side, with every verse being equivalent in the translation.

I found the Aeneid to be a more sublime experience than reading Homer (although I love both of his works). I guess the Aeneid sounds more lyrical, if that makes sense. I almost cried several times, especially when Aeneas (I think that's his name in english) reports how Priam died and the whole fall of Troy. Truly devastating.

Blindsight
Echopraxia
the wasp factory

I know I'm late to the party with the first two

Ringworld
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Odyssey

The Collected Poetry of Frank O'Hara
John Darnielle - Universal Harvester
Dubner and Levitt - Freakonomics

You must read the Dryden translation

The Afterlife and other short stories - Updike
Inherent Vice - Pynchon
Going Postal - Pratchett

Just started Foucault's Pendulam

>infinite jest
>os sertões
>grande sertão: veredas

now rereading dubliners

Oh boy...

The Stand by Stephen King
Morning Star by Pierce Brown
Golden Son by Pierce Brown

... no bully

pynchon slow learner
beckett more pricks than kicks
kenzaburo oe teach us to outgrow our madness

Ah I see, I guess I was too anglocentric in assuming you'd have read an English translation. Well I guess reading it in a romance language would be more appropriate than a Germanic one, but sadly I know only some French and basic Spanish.

I have listened to 5 hour podcasts on both the Iliad and the Odyssey, and I was thinking of buying the Fagles box set of those two + the Aeneid. That's why I asked you for translation information. Fagles's translations are lauded throughout the whole internet, except on here, where they are dismissed as being for plebs. I guess that unless I hear a very strong counterarument, I am going to order that set tomorrow. If it is actually for plebs, I will at least have gotten familiar with the texts, and could always ''move up'' to Lattimore/Pope/ someone else. I haven't really researched the Aeneid translations though.

PS I do have a T.E Lawrence Odyssey and a Patric Dickinson Aeneid in my bookshelf. What does Veeky Forums think of those? Not much thought went into that by the way, they were $1.49 and $0.99 respectively at some second hadnd book event.

I was blown away just by the prologue. The rest of the novel didn't disappont. I enjoyed it slightly more than blood meridian but that's probably just cause I found it more relatable. I'm definitely looking forward to revisiting it after I get a better grasp of the other works McCarthy alludes to within it. Maybe you could help me better understand: is suttree ashamed of his family because his father had married someone out of his caste? Is that why he feels no obligation to remain within it? Or does it all stem from some existential crisis surrounding his fraternal twin?

Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
The Pale King by DFW
The Living Tundra by Chernov

Infinite Jest
Slow Learner
The Pale King

What the fuck was up with some of the chapters like the one about fapping and that one about that seven year old who started self sucking or whatever that is meant to mean.

I read comics more so than Veeky Forums since I can follow stuff easier with my autism.

>le double dfw meme
come on bro, at least give yourself some time between books.

pour moi, c'est The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Beautiful and Damned, and Bockris's biography of Andy Warhol

There was a month gap isn't that long enough?

>your last 3 books took you a month
I read all 4 of john williams' novels in the last two days

Read AS a few months ago. Thots thus far?

>All the Light We Cannot See- Anthony Doerr
>Illuminatus! Trilogy by Anton Wilson and Anton Shae
>First as Tragedy, Then as Farce- Zizek

Currently wrapping up "The Russian Revolution" by Fitzpatrick

"I read comics more so than Veeky Forums since I can follow stuff easier with my autism."

Hamlet
Candide
Wuthering Heights

>Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler
>The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad
>Ashenden by W. Somerset Maugham