Have an idea for a book

>Have an idea for a book
>desperately want to write
>finally started talking meds for ADHD
>finally have the motivation
>finally sit down to start writing

>Realise I have an extremely limited vocabulary and a very poor grasp of English and grammar becuase of shitty public school

What can I do to rectify this? Someone please help

Read a dictionary that explain the etymology of words. It's a very interesting read.
Read an English grammar.
Read books in some way similar to what you want to write.

Pro mode: Read an encyclopedia.

just read all kinds of books, old and new
then write and yes it will suck but who cares just do it

>read an English grammar
Like what

Write it as a childrens book

Also keep in mind that you don't need a rich vocabulary to write well or captivatingly. In fact you could make the intelligent mastery of a limited vocabulary you own style. This is very interesting if done correctly.

I don't think it's possible, given the subject and atmosphere. Its nothing edgy or "adult", I just don't think it would do all that well with children

Can you give me an example? Like Where The Red Fern Grows? Heard that author had no proper education whatsoever and people still loved it

The Oxford English Grammar is an obvious choice. I suggest you take a look at some and see which you like best.

I'll take a gander. I always figured that would be a tough read but I guess it's necessary. I know one flaw I have is I either abuse commas too much or neglect to use them. I'm never in that perfect sweet spot

Unfortunately and don't know any good examples in English.

use the right words, not the biggest words.

Neglecting is a big problem. Abuse can be well done or not. In my language there is a very good book written in a single sentence.

Remember, there are other ways to separate ideas besides commas and periods - this for example is a great way to make observations.

should I just nut up and just post an early except, so I can get some critique on my grammar and vocabulary?

excerpt *

I think this would be unproductive.

Then how do I get some context on my failings?

Just read more. Learn from the classics. If you need to read with a dictionary all the better, that's how you really expand your vocabulary.

Yeah I'm trying to. The problem is I tend to only read non-fiction; particularly autobiographies and documentaries. I need to expand my horizon.

Currently on The Time Machine and Dracula. Don't know where to go from there.

Compare with what you read and try to notice them. If you really feel like posting, by all mean do it, that you are going to waste your time is merely my opinion.

Do you have any interest in philosophy? Or human history?

I had the entire story for a book given to me by myself in a dream, very descriptive and I can draw out the events very well for cool cover art. as an artist and book lover, I should easily make the whole thing... but big vocab doesnt help a lazy ass. you got further than me, use a thesaurus and you are GOLDEN!!!!! good luck my dude (or gal)

Not really, except in the context of the setting of the story I want to write. I need to study specific human history, just to gave the setting correct.

But no, philosophy and general world history doesn't interest me. Wish it did but I can't get into it.

get*
Dang auto correct

How important is the historical setting for the story?

Pretty important, or at least important for the context of the setting of the main characters. I Need to make sure I have the history of America correct, the eurocentric view the world takes on slavery and race relations correct, and the philosophies of fairly recent groups/movements correct, at least when it comes to their motivations and goals.

A lot of well written good literature on those topics. I suggest you create a thread asking for book recommendations. Unfortunately, most of what I've read about this matter was not in English and finding the original titles or translations is going to be an unpleasant task.

>I need motivation to write

Are you referring to me or yourself? Because I have the motivation, just not the skill.

>Realise I have an extremely limited vocabulary and a very poor grasp of English and grammar becuase of shitty public school

Simple: use a thesaurus!

>because of shitty public school
Pffffffffffff

[continuing...] Besides, don't let your shitty public school define who you are as a writer/person. Own responsibility for whoever you decide to be. If that's being a hell of a bestselling author, start doing what a bestselling author does, which means to get past your difficulties, get feedback from trusted advisors who are willing to give you an honest say about your work and... sit down and write! Most of the effort you spend on a book is editing, rather than writing itself. I hope what I said makes sense to you and I wish you best of luck! Now go write!

read

Working on it. By the way, this ADHD med is working wonders for my reading life.

I just finished a 3rd of The Time Machine in just one sitting. I would have never been able to do that normally.

>finally started taking meds for ADHD

Why.

No one has the patience to read or write these days because they are brain dead, not because they have ADHD.

>the can't write anything other than opening sentences and a title

I was recently diagnosed, at the age of 28.

I won't bore you with the details but they've been a lifesaver. Honestly, they're saving my marriage, my work life, and my abilities to actually act on my dreams. Good thing as well is I'm on straterra, which is NOT a stimulant nor is it addicting. It just doesn't work for many people but it does for me.

You are a drone now. Congrats

Except I'm not. Again, this isn't a stimulant like adderall or Ritalin. It doesn't change my personality or cause me to become emotionally stunted. It just helps my thoughts stop racing at a 100mph, which allows me to focus. Its lack of mental side effects is exactly why we started with it and I plan to stay with it. I refuse to take crack as a pill.

only side effects so far is a slight cloudy feeling every once in awhile and a slight tingle when me and the wife make love.

Jesus, coming off a little hostile there buddy