How many books have you read in your life?

how many books have you read in your life?

for example i read about 15-20 books, im fucking ashamed

bout tree fiddy

also am i a plebeian?

(OP)

A little over 1000.

Around 350-400 at this point, but around 1/5th of that is all the pulpy sci-fi I read as a teenager.

If you can answer that question you are probably an idiot desu

probably around 1500
probably closer to 1200 if you discount plebshit from high school

200+ shit tier "books"

30-40 actual books

how could you keep count? I understand if you started reading recently and kept a journal or a list, but including books you read during your childhood, teenage, and adult life that's a lot of books, even for non-reading normies. My current collection is probably hitting 500 books of which I've only read about a fifth, but that's only the ones at my disposal, I cant fucking remember how many books I've read for school or outside of it years ago.

I'm not sure. Probably a couple hundred. I keep most of the books I've read on my bookshelf but don't feel like counting them.
Why feel ashamed about reading that many books? If you want to read more, then do it. If you don't, who cares?

About 200, but I am getting more and more into literature every year, so it gets exponentially better each year.

Since, I've been keeping track, over the last five years, I've read 163. I still want to do a year with one book (or more) a week. Still, I feel as though I have now come to love reading in a way I did not previously.

Is this image true? Will they really pay that much?

Somewhere around 450, 350 in the past 4 years.

If it is I want in on it. I love nordic qts

is that how islandic women look like? i thought they were more like bjork. anyway, sign me up.

104 since I started tracking on goodreads. In real, a little bit more than that

I tried to make a list once for memory and only remembered about a 100. I'm sure I've read way more than that though.

>I read 300 books in high school
Ok.

>he can't read 300 plebshit books in 4 years

why are you here you illiterate fuck?

Not him, but I used to get about 5 or 6 books a week from the library (parents didnt allow TV or video games in my house). They were not all door stoppers, but I always finished them all. I did that from about 5th grade on (i hated sports and had very few friends). Now ill be lucky to finish one now that my attention span has been destroyed by the interwebs and my dopamine receptors.

About 600 or 700. Probably over a thousand if you include gradeschool books like goosebumps and hardy boys etc.

not as much as i wanted to. still can't because of school and stuff. luckily, current school book we're reading is Camus' Stranger, a book i wanted to read besides school books.

In my whole life? Probably like 300 if you count YA and kids' picture books

Only ~20 of them have any literary merit though

in my whole life? I mean it depends on what you want to count as books. I probably read at least 30-50 Hardy Boy books alone as a child plus tons of other stuff. Also read a bunch of shorter stuff like Animal Farm, Through the Looking Glass, Call of the Wild, The Hobbit etc. I still usually finish a novel every week or two. I have no idea how many books I've read in my entire life. Much more than 20 though, you absolute shitter

18-24 20-25 per year

I’d say 120 conservative estimate since I started reading more literary stuff. Not counting kids books.

I started reading about one book per month at the age of 14 and now I'm 23, you do the math. Plebshit included.

around 300. Those are rookie numbers

this desu

have a (you)

donald duck, uncle scrooge, etc comics: at least 70

kids adventure series books: ~40

literature: ~50

around 400-500

I don't know. Many hundreds

i've probably read about 50 books in all my years, and i remember maybe a handful of them. my unhealthy lifestyle has rendered my brain almost completely useless. i couldn't even tell you what i had for breakfast yesterday.

Source for that pic? I find it hard to believe Iceland would pay foreigners 5000 dollars to come and mate with their women. Or is my Russian failing me?

ive only read about 60
im a loser desu

you are seriously overestimating how much average people read.
in one of my basic english classes at the community college I went to -- yes, I'm poor -- we had one guy announce that he'd never read a book before. he had a beer belly, a farmer's tan, looked about 40 or 50, and seemed proud that he'd never wasted time looking at words on a page.
that's not the worst part, though. when the teacher asked if anyone else had never read a book before, a solid 30% of the class raised their hand.
this wasn't even in the ghetto or anything. this was in California.
the teacher had Hamlet, Lolita, Slaughterhouse 5, and Crying of Lot 49 on the syllabus, but ended up adding a "substitution list" of cringy adolescent literature (Fault in our Stars, Speak, Perks of Being a Wallflower, etc.) for anyone who didn't think they could handle reading at their grade level
literature really is obsolete

>this wasn't even in the ghetto or anything. this was in California

haha

I really hope this isn't real

Depressing as fuck

If you don't believe this, you are seriously underestimating how many dumb people there are out there who only care about there shitty little working class job, making money to buy shit they don't need, and grinding out their mediocre little life with no desire to expand their mind or learn new ways of thinking. I grew up in a broke working class white trash family and shit rural towns and have been around these kinds of people most my life. They are literally everywhere in this country like cockroaches in the woodwork. People so set in their ways and actually take pride in being stupid and below average.

Be more empathetic. IQ is mostly genetic, and people's life trajectories are often the direct result of their upbringing.

well, my part of California isn't ghetto, anyway.

more depressing is they didn't read the adolescent shit, either. they didn't want to read and they ddin't. end of story.

"participation" -- aka attendance -- was 50% of the grade.

Why dem understaned Rusian?

>people's life trajectories are often the direct result of their upbringing

oh wow, that old chestnut. blaming your upbringing for your shitty life as an adult. people still actually believe that bullshit. haha

what

It's a cliché because it's true, you dope. Talk to them and understand their subjectivity

Dese boyz, they speak Russia, they can read dat pictah

In here thread u see

Yeah, it's a pretty common language.
I only know it because my parents are from the SU.

so what does it say?

"Because they don't have enough men, Icelandic women will pay immigrants who marry Icelandic women 5,000 dollars per month."

something like that

*who marry them, "Icelandic women" twice was just redundant

Russian fake news.

I remember taking a critical thinking class at CC for units (needed classes taken within 5 years for grad school) and at least 10 people in a class of 35ish couldn't read aloud without stuttering.

Incorrect rather than just redundant, it’s the state paying in this fairy tale.

whoops, sorry, misread Iceland as Icelanders for some fuckin reason

you dumb fag, it ain't true. it's only a bad excuse

>literature really is obsolete

why would you infer that?

literature has always been a minority interest. ffs you didn't even have universal literacy in the west until the 20th century. Much of the best poetry ever written was only made for the consumption of small groups of aristocrats in 10% literate societies

Probably somewhere between 300 - 500 depending on what constitutes as a "book". Closer to 300 if we are talking like novels that meet some sort of minimum length and reading level, say 200 pgs and not including shit like Goosebumps and Harry Potter.

This. So much this. Living and working in Alabama and Georgia since 1973, this describes all of the rural south.

This desu.

If anything there's probably a higher percentage of people reading real literature than ever.

damn op's picture is depressing
and im neither a polfag nor from iceland

100 or so actual books
300 or so children's books, pop sci/his etc.

этo ж фeйк oчeвидный, нy eбaный poт..

hvala drug, I was really depressed when seeing that and now I'm just as dead inside as usual

I've read over 77 000. That's basically all I did for 20-ish years, up until the later 90's.

After 12-15k, you recognize entire pieces based on one or two details, but lose the ability to pull specific quotes.

After 20-30k, your mind starts to see nearly every pattern and flaw common to humanity. Your brain = tvtropes for books.

About 44-60k is when you lose the recognition of individual aspects and floor entire novels with conceptual summaries.

Somewhere between 20-44k began accurate predictions of the texts and detailed insights into the author(s') habits & nuances.

Around 70k the self-loathing started. You realize even if everything you predict or analyze or intuit is wrong, you will never amount to something beyond a few thousand collections of concepts mashed together. The best to hope for is eloquence in whatever medium and style you feel most comfortable with.

>TL;DR the more you read, the more like shitty English lit profs you become, even if English isn't your first language and you don't only read lit
>The Romans were right; to only sit and think is a waste of time, you have to do something with it, even if it's just rehashing old concepts in a new style

What a bunch of bullshit. Given 25 years to read 70k books, you'd have had to read 7-8 a day.

Good pasta though.

i red like 4 books

It's not "can't", it's "won't" you fucking cunt. Enjoy being a pleb for life.

probably like
15 books if you throw out any genrefiction

yet im smarter than all yall, so I dont complain.

I wish I had the attention span to read books. I read like 15 pages of a WW1 history last week and I havent resumed it since then. im hopeless.ssss.

>im smarter than all yall
To be fair, you have to have a very high level of insecurity to say this unironically ever.

>Read like 400 children's books back when I was a boy because there was no TV in my house
>After I graduated elementary school, I stopped reading entirely
>Only read like 5-6 book throughout the rest of education

I kind of miss reading.
It's highly addictive, but I'm hooked on electronic entertainment.

have fun in your booster seat

Depends a lot on whether you include Goosebumps catalogue.

I too remember being 16 and believing I was morally superior for having an interest in obscure intellectual stuff

what are the people who have read 20-30 books in their entire life even doing on this board?

Shitposting about philosophy.

THE KEKISTANI 4RM4D4 STRIKES AGAIN. RICK AND MURTY AMIRITE

How the fuck would I remember

9×12=108 books

Like 8