Thoughts on Lord Byron? What is your favorite work of his? Thoughts on the 'Byronic Hero' character?

Thoughts on Lord Byron? What is your favorite work of his? Thoughts on the 'Byronic Hero' character?

Haven't read too much but Manfred is pretty good. Byronic heroes are basically tragic villains but cooler.

I liked Don Juan.

There are better poets, but his poems are interesting.

He's underappreciated these days. His best work is satirical, like Don Juan, though I have a fondness for Childe Harold.

Part of what I enjoy in Byron is his self-awareness. He knows that the brooding and laconic stance of both his characters and persona is an act for mass appeal. His natural mode is satire and his tone is bitchy. He fits better in the mid-18th century, with people like Pope and Sterne, though he coukdnt have had the same celebrity then, which he craved.

His apocalyptic poem Darkness, which imagines the world without a sun and moon. It's about four pages of blank verse, no excuse not to read it.

Beppo, Don Juan, Childe Harold, the short lyrics. His many shortish narratives are worth going through, many of which were themselves influential. For instance, Sardanapalis on Delacroix's famous painting of the same name.

Will do, user.

Byronic heroes are fucking Veeky Forums desu
I half algays liekd "the good guy isn't good and don't be like him kids"
Cool shit is cool des-yu.
I like the destruction of sennacherib because it is a shonnen arc of being overpowered by the OP protagonist(GOD) and I read it in middle school.
I'd like to read more, any that really epitomize the Byronic hero?

let's be honest - adieu, adieu from childe harold are one of the best, if not the best verses ever written

perfect allegory for the modern age

Great read.

He was the original edgemeister who created so many more edgemeisters. It was a very bad move.

Catullus was pretty edgy.

Just read Keats instead

Keats sucks even more ass than Byron.

Blake is the real deal.

>fuck the church
>get bitches
>draft? no.
past the romantic nature of youth he wrote about characters who had quite about of hubris in them. They usually died because of it.

>They usually died because of it.
On their own accord, which is what makes them so admirable and badass.

Sounds like Mozart's Don Giovanni

Blake is the poor man's Shelley

Epitaph to a dog

What's the best collection of his works? Penguin or Oxford? Or is there a decent hardcover version?

>Scott, Rogers, Campbell, Moore, and Crabbe will try
>’Gainst you the question with posterity.
How much longer will it take for people to get redpilled on the lake """poets"""?

the destruction of sennacherib

>heroes never die
wonder if their families feel the same way

Families perhaps mourn the loss of a son, not a hero.

>badass
you need to go back

Back to where? The other literature board that isn't as proper as this one?

sounds like a plan