How did you guys survive in college?

How did you guys survive in college?
On a budget with instant noodles and tuna or on a budget with proper food?
Or on an hyper tight budget living off stolen cookies and water from the teachers lounge?

got a meal plan that was partially paid for by subsidized student loans.
t. poor

On a budget eating steak ($4.50/lb), chicken ($.99/lb), beans ($.35/lb), broccoli ($.50/lb) and whatever else I felt like while mocking retards who ate overpriced processed foods like instant noodles (>$.20/oz), canned tuna (>$3.20/lb) and fast food (easily over $10 for a dogshit 1/4 pound burger, fries and sugar water).

I got paid to have sex and thus had money to live on.

>taking out loans to eat food
the absolute state of the American caliphate

Daddy fed me.

Food was included with the room and board on a special credit card type allowance thing. It could be used to buy food from any of the shops and restaurants on campus. Ate nothing but Trix cereal for 4 days straight once and turned my stool neon green.

But yeah instant noodles were end of the month type of stuff.

literally hotpockets in bulk at sams club, but that was back in the early 2000's.

1 onion price almost free
1 garlic almost free
1 can of chopped tomato 0,4$
Small amount of tomato paste almost free
Spices free
Oil free
Pasta 0,3$ per portion

Congrats you just made pasta with red sauce for under a dollar.

My dad gave me a credit card for food with a $500/month max, but that was more than i needed so i budgeted and used the rest to buy furniture and camera equipment.

I ate like a king making more money than I do now selling made in 30 minutes beats to niggers on craigslist

I'm about to go neet and start slinging beats again. College was great.

so what poorfag meals did you make?

this

Learning how to cook with ramen, I could eat on like 20-30 dollars a week like a king. Also frozen food, and not skipping breakfast

I would buy meat and fruit on friday nights to take advantage of manager's discounts, then freeze the meat for when there were no good deals. Fried rice was a staple, i generally ate meat and vegitables for dinner and eggs for breakfast. I don't really eat poorly since i cook for myself, and i don't really budget as much as try for maximum value.

but most places require to live on campus freshman year.

if you can't go to a grocery store/market and get enough fresh vegetables and meat to meet 2000 kcals a day and be eating something different everyday for $200 a month you shouldn't be allowed to undertake the responsibility of a college education because you're stupid

Starkist tuna lunch kits from the dining hall
Apples
Seagrams VO
PBR
Cocaine

First two years at my college, you have to live on campus and if you live on campus, you have to have a meal plan. So first couple of years was eating in the meal halls, with lots of visits to the on-campus Chick-fil-a, Wendy's and Papa John's.
After that, I got my own apartment with a proper kitchen and had a budget of 50 dollars a week for food, so I had to spend with some thought, but I wasn't on a beans and rice tier diet.

>budget of 30 bucks a week
>potatoes, ramen, oatmeal, and frozen peas
>the occasional sandwich if i felt i deserved it

>get chicken
>1.99/lb get 4 pounds
>yellow/red onions, ~50 c for big ones
>green/red peppers ~1-1.50 USD
>Bag of carrots, 1.99
>Tomato ~60c
>ramen noodles ~12c a packet
>gallon of milk 2 bucks
>5lb bag of cheap cereal
>7-8 frozen meals

Easy eating for the week on that, on like 20ish bucks

>rice

>eggs

I just eat sandwiches for every meal

Gf had a costco membership from her dad. Every Saturday or Sunday we would get the $1.50 hotdog and coke then go try all the samples.

I did not go to college but I have survived with like 15 dollars a week on bulk instant ramen and bulk (40 pack) hot dogs and 50 cent per loaf bread.

I was wage cucking in grocery store. Sometimes the meat products expired so I brought it home

>500 dollars a month
>Poorfag meals

How much does food cost where you live? 500 a month is almost 3 times my monthly grocery expenses.

This

fine dining or days when I had to cook myself: lobster, foie gras, truffle, morilles, goldplated bavarois, seared bavette that sort of thing. Now I wish I hadn't because I'm poor as fuck now and about to bankrupt with my company. Probably have to lay of 200+ people to not go bankrupt. But what do I know I was the poorest kid in the Hamptons.

>How did you guys survive in college?

My Mom and Dad fed me because I went to a local public college and I'm not some mongoloid orangutan who comes from a broken divorced family.

i can make a pot of spaghetti and meatbol for 10 dollars.

sauce
16oz
diced tomato, drained
tomato sauce

32oz
crushed tomato

little can of tomato paste
whole onion diced
5 stalk celery chopped
piece of beef to enrich the sauce

sear the beef and then throw in the veg to sweat them
throw in some oregano and salt and pepper to taste. then throw in all tomato shit and cook it down

meatbol:
ground beef
bread crumb
parsley
onion
egg
salt and pepper
mush together and ball it up, bake on a rack for 45 minutes at 400

add all meatbol to sauce and then pour in a slight amount of the drippings from them to enrich the sauce

the longer it simmers, the better it tastes

dont be a newfag and burn the bottom of the sauce

I had a job so I just ate whatever the fuck I felt like

I'm in university and I'm not concerned with money in the least. Monday to Friday I can go and eat a nice meal with salad, bread and choices between several main dishes at the uni's own restaurants for a price ranging between 0.80-3€ depending on what I choose. At home I eat whenever I feel hungry, with a generally well-equipped pantry having both basic bread and cereal for snacks and anything I might need for more sophisticated cooking. I was thinking of putting some small fish in the oven for this evening. Some days I just don't feel very hungry and just have small snacks over the day after eating a basic oatmeal breakfast.

worked at a restaurant that fed staff and used money to buy food otherwise

>like a king
No one envied your garbage ramen creations user, just because you threw in some extra ingredients doesn't mean it was a good meal.
I hope you learned some self respect since then.

This is a good post user

unironically this

I didnt go to college, I fell for the trades meme

How the fuck did you find steak that cheap?

Noodle cup -- add frozen mixed vegetables, green onion, soy sauce, chili flakes, and frozen shrimp (you can cook the small ones simply by pouring boiling water over them)

Rice cooker -- buy several large bags of brown rice

Bouillon cube -- great for flavoring rice

Frozen mixed vegetables -- simmer in salty water until the water evaporates;
surprisingly edible

Cans of beans -- dried is cheaper, but canned is more convenient

Hot sauce -- I like Tapatio

Orville Redenbacher popcorn kernels -- better than off-brand

Coconut oil and Flavacol -- for making the most delicious popcorn

Baked potatoes and baked sweet potatoes, plain or with a dab of butter

Chicken breasts -- the organic brands come individually vacuum-packed and they freeze amazingly

Sliced turkey or chicken, whole wheat bread, and Duke's mayo -- for a quick meal that is surprisingly savory and filling

Honorable mentions: spoonfuls of peanut butter, granola bars, boiled eggs, frozen pork dumpling

Bean and cabbage soup, every single day. That's what I've been eating for the last few years.

I unironically use my slow cooker to make chili and beef stew, lasts me all week. Sometimes make a breakfast sandwich with eggs/cheese/bread in the morning if I’m feeling ambitious. Usually just folgers in my “six” cup mr. coffee for breakfast though. Can’t imagine I spend more than $50 a week, considering my 2 handles of popov come out of that budget

i had a meal plan in school so have never personally struggled too hard, but some of my friends are unemployed-ish right now and they pretty much eat potatoes, tuna, ramen, eggs, and random vegetables.

>Cabbage
>Ground beef
>Eggs
Mix all that shit together in a pan and you get cheap filling food

You've gotta look around at all different places, particularly (in my experience) independent or local businesses; sooner or later you'll find a place with a butcher as their loss-leader in an otherwise expensive-ass grocery.

I've got a grocery just for beef (and a good brand of hot links that I've never seen anywhere else) because of this.

Invest in a rice cooker.

It's like $15 and it's basically a pot.

A drank a lot and did drugs. That curbed the hunger most of the time

If you're not on a meal plan/eat at the cafeteria, then you should always be looking out for special deals and specialty markets. Eg, a grocery store was selling large sacks of grapefruits for $5 for a few weeks due to an oversupply, so I ate a bunch of those for a while. Chinese supermarkets often have cheaper frozen fish than normal ones, especially in bulk sacks. A bought a bunch of goat meat from a Middle Eastern store once for cheaper than beef because they had extra meat after some festival. Etc. If you have time and adequate facilities for prep/storage, you can also look into local hunting and fishing possibilities. I harvested my own crayfish locally with no special equipment; just a bucket and some gloves and waders.

>check deals in grocery stores
>buy cheap priced or sale meat in bulk, freeze what you won't immediately eat
>buy vegetables
>buy rice
>buy pastas
>buy vegetables
>eggs
>milk
>whatever sauces or seasonings you like

What I just stated should run you 20 bucks and feed your for 2+ weeks

I got a part time job working at a fast food place. The 50% employee discount was abused heavily.

Guess you americans have it good. Cheap healthy food. Pretty much everything you just mentioned costs more or twice as much here.

Not him, but same here. Only spend like 150-200 euro on food. But i was at a friends party once (they're not poorfags) and one of the family members complained 500 was almost not enough to do groceries.. guess they just don't check what brand they buy. Let alone what they buy.

I see a lot of people mentioning pasta. Why sort of recipes were you using?

lately i've been depressed and just eating out all the time. It's also in part because i have a full school schedule and I'm working too much at my job that I really don't need because I'm already fucked by student loans anyways

haha fuck

First year was on a meal plan. Gained like 15 pounds. Then learned to cook. I was very enthusiastic about it, but I was really terrible at it because I had no idea what I was doing. I was just making shit up and throwing random shit together. Older women kind of came to my rescue. My mother and some of my friends' mothers showed me the basics. One friend's mom was Italian American and another was Greek. Learned a lot from them. Realized step one was actually setting out to make a particular dish instead of trying to improvise. So I learned how to make a lot of simple cheap dishes that could be cobbled together to make meals. I remember eating a lot of lentils and rice.

I had a meal plan and ate most of my meals at the campus dining hall, or “canteen” if you’re from Britain. We students just called it “the Caf”. They had some dishes that were absolutely terrible, and the coffee was literally the worst I have ever had the displeasure of drinking, but a lot of the food was actually quite good. It was certainly easy to eat a balanced diet there. They served the food buffet style, and always had enough options to get all you major food groups in each meal. The salad bar was 8/10, I ate from it most every day. My go-to was spinach with cranberries, sunflower seeds, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Was on cafeteria meal plan. Unlimited cereal and soft serve.