How come this guy talks about and reads so much serious literature and yet never produces any himself...

How come this guy talks about and reads so much serious literature and yet never produces any himself, instead giving us genre crap? Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-industry-news/article/53937-new-study-55-of-ya-books-bought-by-adults.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bc he wants to corrupt the youth with his milquetoast pozzed values

>tfw author-youtuber

>How come this guy talks about and reads so much serious literature and yet never produces any himself

So, everyone on Veeky Forums then?

Anyone can read, but not everyone can write. Besides, his books are intended for high school girls, its not like he needs to write anything of particularly high quality anyway.

>never produces any himself
uhmmm, check again, sweatie :)

Writing shit is easy. So is talking about serious literature. Writing is much harder.

Also, if I read and discuss YA fiction on Veeky Forums like most retards here, that doesn't mean when I go home I have to write YA fiction. Dumb fuck.

$$$$

it would be unfair to dismiss him entirely but i would argue that all his books are a copy and paste of one and other. they do serve a purpose to introduce those in early teens to literature, albeit in a very simple and basic way he does make light of belonging and certain existential topics which then if people take an interest in will go to look into further.

issue is that he is so easy to read that people often feel an aversion to challenge themselves to better yet more difficult books, as those who read John Green tend to be studying the more difficult stuff in classes.

>he believes the stepping stone theory
people don't read john green and move on to william gaddis
a third of all young adult fiction is now read by people over 25.
think about that.
do you know how many english masters students will name J K rowling and john green as their favourites?
Phd students?
people who read drugstore paperbacks STICK to drugstore paperbacks.
I got into serious reading in high school by pushing through serious books. Not by "working my way up"

>people will take an interest through john green's YA crap and look into better topics!

publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-industry-news/article/53937-new-study-55-of-ya-books-bought-by-adults.html

He desperately wants to be an author but he cant make art

He likes money.

because 'dude breakfast foods are arbitrary' makes you millions and literature does not. unless your karl ove memeguard or michelle wetback

>issue is that he is so easy to read that people often feel an aversion to challenge themselves to better yet more difficult books, as those who read John Green tend to be studying the more difficult stuff in classes.

issue is with the education system, as highlighted by your own points and the one above

I guess it's about relatability and his audience. His fanbase on youtube is probably 75% adolescents, 20% college students and 5% others.

So, he's more or less forced to write YA trash for them. But I think he's the kind of author who would get off on a 16/17-year old's mind "resonating" with his fiction, not matter what. So he drags out the same clichés about insecure teenagers and fairy-like women and gregarious gay friends (in bad prose) in most of his works.

Then again, he made it, and Veeky Forums hasnt

>commercial success is having made it

Plebeian desu

genre crap is easy and makes lots of money

t. failed author

Because he knows what sells. He'd rather be a richfag surrounded by young tight pussy than a starving artist.

the same reason DFW read exclusively Stephen King and John Grisham yet produced the best novel of the last 30 years

It's more challenging to pander to a certain market than writing "muh serious" literature. Besides, it's not like some white middle class fag can write anything meaningful.

>people don't read john green and move on to william gaddis
I did.

I saw a signed copy of Turtles in Target today for $16, should I pick it up? Might be worth a lot some day.

It's easier to be critical than correct.

citation please

That's a retarded study. A lot of teenagers get books from their parents

This is purely anectdotal, but John Green unironically got me back into reading.
I read a lot as a child, mostly good stuff too like Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl or the Hobbit (Don‘t tell me HP is not a good childrens book). Then at maybe 18 I just stopped.
At 21 I bought a copy of The Fault in Our Stars for my mother which she recommended I read after her. I did so in a single day. Two days later I picked up The Garden Of Eden by Hemingway, a book that really changed me. I proceeded to read all Hemingway, then Kafka then Hesse and so on. I think it‘s been a hundred or so books since and I‘m not tired.

So in a way, Green may serve as a stepping stone. And while it‘s objectively crap, The Fault in our Stars will always hold a special place in my heart.

>And adults aren’t just purchasing for others -- when asked about the intended recipient, they report that 78% of the time they are purchasing books for their own reading.

>How come this guy writes books that are very specifically designed to make him the maximum amount of profit?

/thread

>Hemingway
>Kafka
>Hesse
wow so you're still stuck in high school reading

pseud stuff like Vonnegut, Orwell, Green, etc is accessible and makes people feel smart

A childhood spent reading Rowling is a preparation for an adulthood spent reading King.

how is green pseud stuff tho?

this lol

because writing coming of age type trash for the tumblr/reddit crowd is making him rich. real literature does not sell these days. this guy is a supreme pandering opportunist

>ideology
>money
>inability to move past his own childhood

He's an INFJ. Everybody knows that only INFPs can write good fiction.

Imagine that smiling face staring up at you from your crotch in a home depot bathroom.

the first book i ever read was about some catepillar. now i shitpost about joyce on the regular because I've read finnegans wake 5 times.

yes, stepping stones are real

>implying daves main reading wasn't self-help

Yeah that's literally having made it.

>he actually believed that

Do I have to?

only if that's your goal and it's a shitty goal

>tfw no comfy mother to share, recommend, and discuss books with
why even live

This. I remember growing up hearing all about how great it was that Harry Potter was getting kids to read again and this was basically going to save the western world from anti-intellectualism. The kids who read Harry Potter back then either still read Harry Potter or have moved on to Game of Thrones.

Can't disagree with that

i can think of much worse things than making a living as a bestselling author, like whatever wagecuck job you slave away at for example

jokes on you, i'm NEET without putting out shameful young adult trash

Yeh but do you have enough money to spend all day drinking expensive scotch and banging teenage fangirls?

i've got all the scotch drinking and teen fucking out of my system already desu, they're both more trouble than they're worth

Because he realized his entire market is standard high school and college girls.

what the fuck are those shoes

Dare I suggest that if he wrote a serious book now it would sell well on account of his name.

The fuck are you talking about man? You don't exist.

Ayy lmao

King of cringe

>Why does he write books that guarantee him a great amount of wealth and fame instead of writing boring shit that will only be read by litfags through torrenting the PDF

Zoom wonders

>cringe

roastie detected

>roastie

>Should I use YA fiction as an investment vehicle

No