Is this a place where I can learn to cook or should I turn back?

Is this a place where I can learn to cook or should I turn back?

if mexicans can do it you can

I would honestly rather go to Reddit if I actually wanted to discuss cooking at this point. This is one of the worst boards on Veeky Forums for intelligent discussion of the topic. Mostly memes and shitposting. It used to be better but only marginally, it was always pretty bad but nowadays /b/ is probably better.

OP, for the love of God, turn back now and never look back. They make you do things, terrible things, in culinary school. Why do you think so many chefs are alcoholic chainsmokers or worse? Culinary school! Why do you think people laugh when you want to go? Why do you think the food industry is so miserable?

Your pan won't just catch fire. Your eggs won't just explode. The roux won't just turn to cyanide. But even the water will turn to sulfuric acid. Save yourself!

Run while you still can

Just fucking go back.

This board is up there with /tv/ for people who have zero knowledge of or taste in the subject at hand. Honestly and literally, /v/ has better taste in video games than Veeky Forums has in food.

If you choose to stay, I hope you like fast food and hot sauce.

after going through the catalog I must agree with you. I only see disgusting shit and three threads about McDonalds. Reddit it is then

It's already too late, you can never leave.

I can teach you the ways of the tendies user

No. It's for shitposting

I actually cooked my first meal yesterday, it was one of those Knorr pasta sides. I was too scared to use milk but I think it came out pretty good.

turn back

has he gone yet?

He went to /b/

He'll probably learn more about cooking there in all honesty.
McChicken anyone?

phew, that was close.

All clear then? Good.
So last night I tried out a bechamel with an olive oil roux and yogurt. Used dill and diced cucumber and made a sort of tzatziki sauce for lamb chops, turned out well enough. Wasnt very good over the potatos though

OP here. That sounds amazing.

Missed the last of the decent posting by about two months.
/pol/, in it's fresh-outta-middle-school ubiquity has decided that it's hip forced memes are great for other boards.

At least the siptards got pushed out, and the deenz posters moved over to fit and r9k.

That sounds heavy. Why not just yogurt instead of bechamel like a normal tzatziki?

Turn back. Stick with youtube videos and cooking shows for now until you know enough to weed out the bullshit from the useful information on this board

I've really been getting into making pan sauces from different sorts of meats. Duck was underwhelming. The humble pork chop has been the easiest and most reliable to work with.

Anyone else use part apple cider vinegar (w/mother)/part apple cider for their roux? Any interesting non-flour thickening agents I should try?
Also, adding dried fruit during the reduction process has been surprisingly delicious. Soaks up the savory flavors, while still providing bursts of sweetness.

People discussed recipes years ago but that's over now and if you actually want to learn about cooking this is not the place for it.

For McChicken, this is the board for you.

The sad part is that despite almost everything you said being true this is still one of the best boards on Veeky Forums.

just watch food wishes videos and read up on a few techniques and tidbits of knowledge

i mean, i guess it could be, but you'd have to post a specific question about cooking.

>how do i cook good?
vs
>how do i cook good scrambled eggs?

Read the sti-

Because I had a bad idea and rolled with it. Sometimes you win and get this strange saucy tzatziki that flows well, sometimes you lose and realize that you can stomach windex to get drunk.

I never did cider or vinegar in mine, though if its something with a pan sauce that has no drippings you can use cornstarch and water to thicken it. Try apples and raisins when you make a chicken gravy. Or just stuff a whole roaster with apples onions walnuts and raisins. Then dust the outside with cinnamon.

dude have you ever been to /b/

Fuck off and stop lying

To be fair, at least /b/ knows what it is. Veeky Forums fluctuates between raceposting, fast food, memes, raid threads, legitimate content, and dick waving.

At least the buy Monsterâ„¢ energy drink shill gen finally got the hint and left, that's something.

Exactly.
That's half of the fucking problem.
Not having a sticky harms this boards credibility no end.

shut the fuck up NO STICKY

user if you have questions just ask, you will get your answer, just with a side of nonsense

t. Soyboy

What's your problem?
A sticky would be perfectly feasible.

If this was 2012, I would have said yes.

But currently, no. The board is pure shitposting and garbage. The mods facilitate this/do not care. 0 quality control.

There's literally no reason to oppose a sticky. You're the cancer killing Veeky Forums

I actually stopped buying monster simply out of spite from the shilling here

absolutely not, first of all it would all be wrong, secondly it could never cover everything, and most importantly its fucking pointless.
What would go in the sticky, honestly?
and why can't you get that information anywhere else
Or you know, ask?

Friendly reminder that meta content belongs on /qa/.
You've been warned.

I'm the guy keeping this board alive friend
Ps, 'the cancer that is killing /b/' is the cancer that killed /b/

Even if it was just YouTube links it would take up half the front page which killed /x/ for a long time.

run

All it needs to cover is a few basic techniques.
Cooking is pretty objective, the basics never change. Obviously it wouldn't contain recipes as the booru (shit as it is) covers this.
I know some of the guys in the IRC are trying to write one. Hopefully we'll get a preview soon.

>All it needs to cover is a few basic techniques
Throw in some infographics of how to eat on $3 a week and we will finally free up the board to be nothing but McChickens and alcoholism

even making a thread here with OC, and pics of a 6/10 meal or dish you cooked will usually get few replies or a bunch of people calling you a faggot. sometimes they work out, but rarely. the retarded teen humor meme threads get reply limit though, so if you think "pan nice and hot" or " for me its the mcchicken" is fall-out-of-your-chair-laughing comedy, then by all means, stay

This is a place you come back to after you learn to cook without looking at recipes to chuckle at shitposts and post your opinion which you'll think is better than everyone else's = by that time

You sound really bitter, fag.

Neck yourself faggot

>Anyone else use part apple cider vinegar (w/mother)/part apple cider for their roux?

Way over my head. Sounds interesting.

>Any interesting non-flour thickening agents I should try?

Arrowroot is a personal favorite.

>Veeky Forums - McChickens and Alcoholism

>I can learn to cook
What do you like to eat? Sandwiches are easy, as are salads. Learn to make steamed vegetables. Potatoes and carrots need time to cook. Broccoli, not so much. Can you hard boil an egg (steaming works best)? Roast a chicken, make some bread (easier than you'd think). A kitchen scale and an instant read thermometer are really worth the money, as is a decent chef's knife (6") and a paring knife (3"). Add a cheap bread knife. Learn to make crepes, chicks love crepes... 100% guaranteed panty remover. But I digress...

I think I have a basic cooking knowledge. I want to learn about different flavors and how they work together. I also want to learn how to work with different kinds of meat. My focus is only the healthiest food (had colon cancer, don't want it again).

Oh, well, if you had colon cancer you'll want to stick to eating McChicken sandwiches. The Best Sandwich and safest food. 100% halal.

I don't know if they're shown on TV any longer, but Alton Brown's Good Eats was IMHO a great introduction to culinary basics. Fun to watch and I learned a lot while watching. The only recipe I didn't like was his French onion soup recipe, which turned out way too sweet.

Well a diet based in raw ingredients will do a world of good on your ass cancer. Without the nitrates and salts from preservatives youll be better off, I would also suggest against charring or blackening too much of what you eat. Learning one meat learns you all meats but the ways of preparing them are the challenge i.e. grilling a steak vs grilling a pork chop isnt a wildly different process while braising a veal shank vs grilling a steak is worlds different. Learn techniques with known good flavors before you look for flavor pairings specifically.