On diabetic diet

>On diabetic diet
>Limited to 40g carb per meal
>Slowly get used to it, doing well at 185 lbs
>One day friend offers me a donut
>Don't want to be rude so i explain the situation and just have a piece of it
>That little piece spikes me to 317 BS.
>Freak out and start avoiding carbs for the rest of the day to let me levels go back down
>Nothing but protein shakes, chicken, eggs, bacon and sausage meals for three days
>Back to a manageable BS number
>Check weight
>169 lbs

Did I accidently activate ketosis?

>dae le keto xDDDDDD

Fuck off

? What are you asking? Ketosis is a legitimate medical state. I'm asking if thats what happened with the body?

I don't see how I'd logically drop nearly 16 lbs in 5 days eating fattier foods (ranted i'm only eating twice a day now,) but still. unless it was this state, So i'm asking what are the sympotoms and feelings? I've heard you're supposed to feel like shit yet I feel right as rain.

>has diabetes at all
I know it's not T1 either you gigantic faggot.

I've been T1 since I was 8. Mom had it and her mother had it, so I unfortunately inherited it as well. Despite it being a recessive trait.

>doing well at 185 lbs

I'm a 43 y/o male adult. 185 is well within normal for my age. Hence why I don't want to be under weight.

He literally said he was 185 you mong.

40g carbs per meal will not put you into ketosis. 40g per DAY is barely low enough to do it effectively

my bad, just read the last part of your post. how far in between was the 185 and 169 weigh in? your story makes it seem like more than three days.

Either way, kinda too short a period to effectively enter ketosis, you would likely still have stored glycogen, although not much because you were already eating low carb. I'd attribute the loss to either weighing at different times of day, after/before a meal, and holding differing amounts of water weight, in addition to your dietary changes over the previous couple of days.

>eating fattier foods
>protein shakes, chicken, eggs
Literally 60% of your "diet" was in no way shape or form "fattier" than your carb diet.

This. It takes a bit to burn through those glycogen stores. Nice to see someone on this godforsaken website that actually understands ketosis.

Well I had the donut 4 days ago at lunch, and by dinner reading I was 309 and then 9pm lantus was 317. Next morning I was still a high 258, so I decided to cut down on carb items that day, had a breakfast omlette in the tavern I work at, (Didn't eat the bread or hash) had a protein shake for lunch, and then meatloaf for dinner. Repeat that process for the enxt two days with interchangeable Sausage/bacon breakfasts, and a cooked chicken/swai filet, And thats all i've had the past three days. I'm 78 this monring, and 169.3 body weight.

Thats exactly why I'm confused. The weight drop is very much real and here, I even re-weighed to make sure. after breakfast i'm now 170.1 I dunno if its ketosis, but something clearly kicked in.

You're a dipshit. 100g and below can work depending on your metabolism and insulin levels.

Your body can hold between 5-20 lbs of waste. a fluctuation of that much is nothing. When you're swinging 15-20 lbs in a couple of days, that's when you're sick.

>Hence why

Train your carbs.

Do what?

I've been eating off 5in saucer's worth of food, and salads. I can assure you I never carry more then maybe 4lbs max in my stomach at any given time.

Consume good sources of carbs to train your insulin sensitivity (yeah that donut was pretty stupid).

>40g carbs per meal

nigga you need

>people who don't know what they are talking about try to weigh in
20g is the strict mode. You can be in ketosis well up to 100g. The lower you go, the higher your ketones. That is all.
This. Water weight and food weight play a major part in people getting discouraged and upset during their diets. When they don't have regular bowel movements, or somehow aren't urinating enough, it can look like they've gained weight or failed to lose much. On keto, sometimes bowel movements are slowed due to a decrease in fiber (easily remedied with chia seeds or supplements) and an increase in fat.

>diabetic diet
>limited to 40g carbs per meal
>per meal
>limited
How much fucking bread were you eating before, then?

Wasn't bread actually, it was high fructose in concentrated fruit juices. Complex carbs are just as bad as sugars.

I don't think that's how diabetes works, my friend. Eating complex carbs would slow carbohydrate absorption into the blood, but that rate has nothing to do with insulin, and is the less relevant rate for diabetics.
It's not as if you weighed yourself at the start of the day and were certain that you were 185, is it? Either way, you probably did go ketoacidic if you did that for three days. Were you dizzy or anything? Do you know what your fasting blood glucose level is?

>beans are as bad as sugar

To a diabetic they are. Grains raise BS levels just as much as pure sugar can. I don't have sugar period, grains may not spike, but they increase, which is still deadly if not checked regularly and maintained.,

I did actually, not any routine reason, I just happened to step on the scale when shaving, looked down and got a glance of the weight, which was the normal 185-188 range.

Diabetic doesn't mean you are utterly unable to deal with blood sugar / insulin, just very badly. To give a metaphor, if you break a bone you don't want to completely rest it, it's more effective to slowly start using that body part again even during recovery. Getting some carbs, low GL, back into your diet is a good way to increase insulin sensitivity (main thing is still weight loss though).

Oh really? Slow absorption increases pancreas productivity for type 1 diabetics? Didn't know that.

>type 1
C'mon now. More than obviously I meant T2 here.

being in a ketogenic state doesn't mean you lose fat any quicker
realistically you just dumped a shitton of water weight, maybe entered ketosis, it'll come back on when you start go back to eating more carbohydrates

wait either way I fucked that up, you were talking about sensitivity and not production
regardless, OP has t1dm
>being in a ketogenic state doesn't mean you lose fat any quicker
The way I learned it was that the "diabetes mellitus" name has something to do with "sieve" or "wasting away", and that untreated DM causes rapid weight loss. You'd be right to say that of ketogenic states in general, but not for diabetics.

Not all of us are skinny manlets.

Oh, ok. This is interesting. Also a type 1. I'm almost as old as you are, weigh a little bit less, and take the same medication. I've been doing the keto thing for years now. Every now and then I have to make a correction for hypoglycemia. I used to eat or drink whatever: candy, soda, etc. Then I started to notice that junky carbs like HFCS fucked my insulin sensitivity for several days afterwards even without going over my ketogenic threshold. So I just don't touch the shit unless I think I'm actually going to die. I'll go for fruit or something. This partial portion of the refined sugar/refined white flour very well may have janked your lantus basal dose simply because it was unaccounted for carbs, or it may have weirded your insulin sensitivity. Hard to say.

You may have inadvertently been in dietary ketosis the entire time, but I kinda doubt it. The rapid weight loss combined with the high blood sugars are concerning. At your weight, you should have only lost 5-7 pounds of water weight going into dietary ketosis. You can't rule out ketoacidosis. You got insurance? Run this by your endo if you do. Feels wrong.

Out of curiosity, what's your actual insulin dosage? You're somewhat low-crab. When I switched to keto I went from 40 units of lantus and 10-30 units of humalog to 30 lantus and 0-4 units humalog on keto (with fucking fantastic numbers). Sorry, I don't get to compare and contrast dosing with people my size and age very often.

It's a little bit scary adjusting your basal for keto if you ever wanted to try it. You can wean the dose down by trial and error, which inevitably will lead to lows and extended keto flu nightmare, or you could chop off 20-25% of the current dose off and test 20 times a day and treat hypers with smoll injections all day until you nail your true fasting basal dose.

You need to eat under 20g of carbs per day to enter ketosis. Even if you're only eating one meal a day, you're nowhere close.

Wrong. Do your own research instead of reading what Reddit says. Below 50g is enough for MOST people, and some people can go up to 100g. 20g is the limit for the strict version, which is what people sensitive to carbs tend to go on.

>ketogenesis doesn't make you lose weight faster

this is 'lightning comes from the gods' tier backwards superstitious caveman tier non-understanding of... organic mammels.

You sound like the Redditor here with the amount of times you've lied in this thread about it being 100g. It's 20g, fuck off with your disinfo.

either display yout fucking ketone tester strips or fuck off and eat my balls, you turd muncher.

You're a fucking retard. Find me a source that implicitly states that under 20g is required to enter ketosis. You will be fucking shocked to find out how wrong you are, and that the range is SPECIFICALLY 20-100g depending on the person.

Oh, fuck it. I'm gonna keep rambling at you, OP. So yeah, the simple answer is that you just ate too many fucking carbs and didn't bolus until hours later that day. Who the fuck knows about the weight thing though? That's not fucking normal though. DKA sucks. You're over 40 now, too. You might actually get type 1.5, aka: double diabetes. Nobody likes talking about that, but it's possible. Sugar is the Devil. I'm actually not kidding. I started noticing some fucked up insulin sensitivity bullshit in myself before I switched to keto.

bitch i lost 50lbs on the atkins diet before you were born, know what i'm saying? crunch my crispy cockhole, 20 grams carbs a day is the hard line that will get EVERYONE in ketosis. most people can probably manage around 30, and some even 40. show me a fucking ketone strip. if you're eating 100 grams of carbs a day, then you are a numbskull and you are NOT in ketosis!

Atkins is NOT the ketogenic diet, fuckwad. The induction period of Atkins barely resembles it.

alright hitler, calm down.

bitch have you ever read a book? can you even read what i'm writing? you don't know what a method is, dumbass. atkins is keto and keto is atkins. get fucking dichotomies going on, you fucking ratcoon. bumbass biazatch

kek. are you having a stroke grandpa?

Atkins came at least 40 years after the ketogenic diet, retard.

You're also false in assuming I'm the one taking in up to 100g, or even 50g. Mine is 15g net. I am stating a fact; that the daily intake of net carbs required to enter ketosis could vary from 20 to 100 grams per day depending on the person. There have been plenty of people who do those ketone strips and take in around 100g carbs and still show purple.

i had a stroke or two inside your mom, which means i'm not very smart considering she was a crab infested whore, but that still makes me a rocket appliance compared to you. you're obviously not smart enough to be doing the ketolysis so why don't you just get some fucking hyposuction instead, you wack ass corny little punk.

>atkins came after keto

nigger keto came around when the ice mage was freezing everything an the people who could metabolate sugar better got a free pass from the mage or something. it's like saying rocks have an age.

You need to get laid, fatty.

how about you suck my cock then?

>be such a fucking spineless faggot that you eat a donut while diabetic because you "don't want to be rude"
wow, did you tip him too?

Carbs make your body retain water. When fighters want to cut weight they stop eating carbs and taper off water.