Hey guys, new to Veeky Forums here and I've been working my way through the sticky reccomendations. I've read 1984...

Hey guys, new to Veeky Forums here and I've been working my way through the sticky reccomendations. I've read 1984, American Psycho and Of Mice and Men. I really enjoyed all three. Where should I go from here?

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Charts
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My diary desu.

wherever you want, you've hardly begun

Keep going

Start with the Greeks

Journey to the End of the Night

start reading good books

Bunch of short stuff

Goethe's Young Werther
Camus's The Stranger
Kafka's Metamorphosis
Conrad's Heart of Darkness
etc

idk try woolf it's good

I've been interested in The Great Gatsby and Fahrenheit 451. Thoughts?

>reading a woman

cuck

normie books for a normie mind, just like 1984, American Psycho and Of Mice and Men
you'll probably enjoy them

Really makes me think :^)

that's the problem, you substitute memes and surface level banalities for thought

You should LURK MOAR.

>LURK MOAR
damn kid, go back to /b/, nobody says this anymore
identifying as blatantly as somebody who is part of the posters "in the know", only serves to show how hard you are trying to fit in
furthermore is sounds very juvenile, and is completely passé

>go back to /b/
nobody says this either

I just said it to you, because you sound like you just came back from reading a dramatica page

lmao

Pick anything from this list and have at it. You've already got three down, actually. These really helped me to get back into reading when I first came to Veeky Forums. If you don't already have one I would go out and buy an ereader; Veeky Forums books are exceptionally easy to pirate and a Paperwhite is perfect for learning words you don't know.

Shut up. Just because something is easy to read doesn't mean it's for "normies." That would be John Green or whatever else is selling from the youth section at B&N.

Not him but death of lurk more culture is what ultimately killed Veeky Forums and you need to fuck off.

what I responded with was part of the lurk more culture for the modern age
fuck off with your encyclopedia dramatica understanding of Veeky Forums

I'd personally recommend A Clockwork Orange or Catch-22. I really enjoyed both, especially the latter. I'd guess both are pretty entry-level.

Those are both good picks for the reading level you're currently at. At this level also consider A Clockwork Orange, Catch-22, stuff by Herman Hesse, some entry-level Plato dialogues, Frankenstein, A Catcher in the Rye, Winesburg Ohio, Hemingway, O. Henry, Kerouac, Marcus Aurelius, Poe, Jack London, Edith Hamilton, The Stranger, Marilynne Robinson, The Metamorphosis, Stephen Crane. If you want to challenge yourself a bit maybe pick up A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, some Faulkner, Virginia Woolf, Conrad, early Nabokov. At some point in the future you might want to start adding texts that are considered extremely influential like The Iliad, Plato/Aristotle, Dante's stuff, Cervantes, the Bible if you haven't read it, Shakespeare, Chaucer, etc.

Both of these are a good start:
There's also Animal Farm, Brave New World, and Lord of the Flies. Throwing some Shakespeare wouldn't hurt (Macbeth or Titus Andronicus would be a good start).

Admittingly, these are still normie books, but that's not a bad thing. You have to start somewhere and the three that you have read are a great start.

Leave this place and let your own tastes guide you. Veeky Forums will suck the joy out of reading for you.

Stop posting, buddy

Tru

naww, it's a great place to learn about new writers if you ask me.

Both of these things are true. Veeky Forums at its best is incredible, and at its worse, absolutely degenerate.

Yeah, that's fair

>degenerate

back to /pol/, tourist

/thread

Jokes on you. I've never really been to /pol/.

I was born in Veeky Forums and have accepted /fitlit/ as my way of life.

What I call degenerate tends to be, more often than not, what /pol/ brings here.

You got more of those infographics?

Gonna piggyback off this thread. When I was young I enjoyed some books, I flew through the Deltora Quest series then Gregor the Overlander and Hatchet then Truesight and Airborn. Then I started losing steam but really enjoyed China Mieville and Machiavelli. After that I lost all interest in books. I'm dating someone who loves books so I tried trading another Mieville book but I couldn't do it so I haven't finished a book in probably 5 years. Any thoughts?

Oh, boy, do we ever. A chart thread happens on Veeky Forums every so often. Regardless, the wikia has a ton. I've been trying to collect the best and organize 'em there:
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Charts

Ohhhhh man, Deltora Quest, what a series. I ripped through it like two or three times. It still seems that you're reading below normie core (with the exception of Machiavelli, which seems a complete curve ball). Still, starting with this chart would be good: Otherwise, try your hand at Tolkien.

No.

Start with the Sumerians, go on to the Greeks and then resume with the Romans.

Start with the fucking Greeks you fucking faggot

Quick question for user, what defines 'normie' literature?

I'm not sure if there's a quick and fast answer, but essentially, if some one says they read or have read 'normie' literature tends to be that which you expect them to say.

Oh, you've read the Great Gatsby? And your favourite book is Catcher in the Rye? And you think the government perfectly embodies 1984? Neat. (That's perfectly normal stuff.)

When people say they've read the Phenomenology of Spirit, or their favourite book is The Brother's Karamazov, and they think the government is an extension of Lockean politics with certain elements of Aristotle - you're dealing not with your average individual. They may still be autists, but they ain't your regular autist.

You should LURK MOAR. But you should read Mein Kampf (if you don't know German read the Stalag edition). I mean this sincerely since plenty of people have an opinion (pretty shit opinions) on it but clearly have never read it. It can be a bit dry though.

Generally stuff that shows up on high school reading lists. It’s an odd quirk of Veeky Forums culture that you are branded a pleb either for not having read them or for liking them too much.