My writing is derivative. What do I do?

My writing is derivative. What do I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

cosmoetica.com/d1-des1.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Clinamen – Bloom defines this as “poetic misreading or misprision proper”.[6] The author makes a swerve away from a precursor, alluding to the proposition that the original work was only precise and accurate up until a particular end; at which point, the successive author makes the corrective motion.[5][6]

Tessera – Bloom defines this as “completion and antithesis”.[6] The author elaborates upon a precursor’s work, maintaining the precursor’s terms and ideas but constituting them in another sense, with the implication that the predecessor failed to take the argument far enough in the first instance [5][6]

Kenosis – Bloom defines this as a “breaking device similar to the defence mechanisms our psyches employ against repetition compulsions”.[6] The author seeks a state of discontinuity, in the act of isolating themself from the influence of the precursor [5][6]

Daemonization – Bloom defines this as a “movement towards a personalised Counter-Sublime, in reaction to the precursor’s Sublime”.[7] The author manipulates an apparent power of a precursor that they believe is superior to the precursor in an effort to dismiss the originality of the predecessor’s work and perpetuate the greatness of their own.[7]

Askesis – Bloom defines this as a “movement of self-purgation which intends the attainment of a state of solitude”.[3] In this process, the author diminishes both his own and his precursor’s achievements, purging themself of all remnants of influence, with a rationale for independent, individual success and achievement.[5][7]

Apophrades – Bloom defines this as the “return of the dead”.[7] The author is encumbered by his previous state of solitude and holds his work open for inspection with that of his predecessors [7] Geddes 1999). Instead of proving detrimental to the author, this instead has the effect of the successor overpowering the predecessor, with the predecessor’s work being read in terms of the successor’s work [5][7]

insert teenage drama

Be more creative

neck yourself

Sink into passivity. Give yourself up to the muses and pray for grace. But don't expect it – they don't owe you anything.

integrate

Just accept it. Pic related is Jung pointing out that even Neitzsche could be derivative.

so punny

Good post.

Make them integral

hehehe

Wide reading ... is valuable because in the process of being affected by one powerful personality after another, we cease to be dominated by any one, or by any small number.' - TS Eliot, Points of View

Read more, Write more. Don't worry. You'll get there eventually.

Posting this thread again

Celebrate.

Man and his symbols?

Yeah. The Jung essay.

Force her legs open and absorve that aroma into you, you should sweat like a pig, make her say she's yours, cum inside her throbbing pussy while you look her dead in the eyes.
Check your testosterone levels.
BUILD, fuck everyone, fuck your soft side into submission, be your own tyrant. You should care, your blood has to boil if you want your desires met.

cosmoetica.com/d1-des1.htm

write less derivative writing

>A Midsummer Night's Dream
>atrocity

I was almost taken in by this bugman's reddit funtime voice until this moment. For shame, user. For bloody shame!

>his well-reported (& self-boasted) philandering with nubile Yale coeds
anyone got a source for these self-boasts?
>I now quote the final sonnet from my first Omnisonnets ms. (see the Omnisonnets page in this website) The Passings:

>There are years to go before the last perfect day
>on Earth. Then the sun will begin to swell, and life
>will cease, shorelines will retreat as oceans boil,
>and all will glow a barren red and airless gray.

>By then I will be shadow, long dead. Now, I live
>amid joys and sorrows, with the love of a girl
>in a backseat, behind her mommy and daddy,
>as they pilgrim to a motel in New Hampshire,

>blowing kisses out her window to teenage strays,
>drunk in a sportscar, honking and cursing at her
>family squareback's pace, as they are full on passing,
>as if they are ready to face eternal sleep,

>as they leave her family behind on the highway,
>that is endless, and endless, and everything.

>how many critics would kill to be able to “ape” me here- to disprove another critic with not just rhetoric but great art itself?

Thanks. This was unironically something I needed to read.

Have more experience than anyone else.

Writing is the art of smoke and mirrors, you have to create ilusions; the ilusions that characters have something sort of resembling free will, the ilusion that what you are writing is original, the ilusion that things are coherent... and to achieve this the more experiences you live and the more obscure books you read your ability to hide your mediocrity will increase to the point where people can't call you amateur or a hack simply because your overcame their self-perceived intelectual superioriority.

That being said, no you cannot escape, its a fundamental problem of creativity; you never create new things, you always take what you know, modify it or mix it with otherr things you know and call it new.

So is not that your work is derivative, is that you know as much as anyone else and it shows.

That's a great poem though. Way out of Shakespeare's domain.