What did I do wrong?

What did I do wrong?

I marinated two rockfish fillets with lime juice and turmeric, then coated them all over with panko, then put them in a medium-high skillet that had about 4 tbsp of oil in it, and when I went to flip the fish the panko came off completely and was all mushy, the fish wasn't crisp at all. Eviscerate me.

OIl not hot enough? Fish not done?

You didnt cook it long enough idiot

Some sort of wash on the fish to allow the panko to stick to the fish.

Too much oil, not enough heat.

Rockfish sucks too.

EGG WASH TO GIVE THE PANKO SOMETHING TO STICK TO.

also cook it longer

take the fish out of the marinade and pat dry with paper towels.
coat each side of fish with flour, then in beaten eggs with a splash of water or milk. then coat in your panko crumbs. the oil should be very hot and if your pan is old you should be very careful not to let the fish stick by not letting it sit in one place. when you drop in the fillet shake the pan a bit back and forth to help the breading start to cook without letting it stick to one spot on the pan. then let it cook normally.

you focused on fancy shit and forgot how to fuCKING COOK A PIECE OF FISH

flour, then egg, then panko next time

pat the filet dry before you flour it, dredge with flour, drop in mixed egg, let the excess egg drip off, coat with breadcrumbs
put it in the hot, well oiled skillet
before you flip the fish, try moving the skillet around, if the fish doesn't slide around, it's probably not brown enough
you can check the browning by looking at the bottom edge of the fish filet

Thanks for the tips, minna-san. Will try again soon.

Did you put egg wash on the fish?

>marinate in lime
Don't do this. It makes the outside of the fish slimy/ gummy.

Dunk it in egg, then push gently onto a plate of panko.. Get the pan nice and hot and fry it until panko is browned. It's not terribly hard to do really. Play with cooking time until you get the right consistency you're looking for.

PAN MUST BE VERY HOT BEFORE FISH TOUCHES IT FOR CRISPYNESS.

Needed something to make the breadcrumbs stick, should have dipped them in flour and a beaten egg.

don't marinate fish fillets. and make sure the pan is hot and make sure you let them cook long enough on each side before trying to flip them.

I was following an Indian recipe. Usually his recipes are solid.

If you think the recipe was solid and the fault lies with you it's most likely oil was not hot enough.

>Rockfish sucks too.
You and I are no longer niggas, you lying liar of Lyington.

That doesn't seem like enough oil

It probably wasn't hot enough, I don't fry much. Is an egg wash really more helpful than whatever marinade a thing was soaking in?

Egg is good and sticky. But hot oil is a must.

cover in flour, shake off excess, dip in thin egg wash, let excess drip off, coat in panko thoroughly, place on wire rack on baking sheet to sit for 10 mins. the sitting time is the most important thing to assure that the panko holds.

Y'all covered this, good job Veeky Forums I got nothing to add.

>didn't use any sort of wash to get the panko to stick
>didn't preheat the oil enough
>didn't cook the fish long enough