What is Veeky Forums's eReader of choice?

What is Veeky Forums's eReader of choice?

Are Kindles a ripoff? Are they actually easier on the eyes or are they no different from a tablet computer?

Checked the wiki and saw nothing. Looking for something easy on the eyes and that you can simply add .epub files to easily. No space left for physical books.

E- ink is great, no glare, great battery life.
Kindles are propietary botnet garbage, you want a Kobo or similar.

Kindle Paperwhite.
Convert your epubs with Calibre.
Kobos are slow pieces of shit.
There, I summed up all the responses you will get in the thread OP.

Yes, they are much easier on the eyes. If you read a lot - a must. Paperwhite, especially used one is best value for money.

Well I'll be damned, a thread asking for advice on Veeky Forums that got actual advice. Thanks

Have a Kobo Aura One with Koreader and I'd say it's alright. Main selling point is that the display enables a reading experience not unlike a real book, whereas with a 6 inch ereader I always felt it was too small.

i got this chinese android ereader called the jdread over a week ago, its my first ereader. Not without its faults but those page turn buttons are very handy

fff senpai

t. user who pre-ordered an oasis

I love my kobo.

>Are they actually easier on the eyes
Yes- that is literally the point of them.

E-readers are awesome, my Kindle Paperwhite was one of the best toys I've ever bought. Currently using a Kobo Glo HD because I let my mother have my Kindle. It's not bad but strangely in the period where I was without my Kindle and also staying with a friend, my only time to myself was small moments and I continued my books on my phone with the Kindle app until I got my Kobo and it seems like I read much more when I was using my phone. Very strange.

hello /g/

Got my first Kindle Paperwhite a few days ago. It was £89 on Amazon (£10 discount I think). It was smaller than I thought. But the size seems to be ideal nonetheless. It has a front light, so it doesn't shine in your face the way a phone, iPad or laptop will.
You don't have to buy books online if you don't want to. You can even leave it in "flight mode" for ever, and simply drag and drop . Pdf's or other supported formats that you have obtained on your pc/laptop (works with Ubuntu too).

It's a breeze to use, and I haven't found a downside yet, other than having books and documents in folders. There might be an option to add folders, but I haven't found it yet.

just get a decent tablet. you're gonna spend hundreds of hours with it so it might as well be good quality

every "e-reader" ive ever seen looks like a dinky ugly piece of shit

This is bait.

Kobo doesn't make a high-resolution 6" e-reader any more.
If they did, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

They killed off the Glo HD for whatever reason, even though it was their best-selling and had nearly perfect reviews.

My first kindle was one of those ones with the Keyboard. When it eventually gave out I bought a Paperwhite and have been using it for years. I love it desu, no complaints at all.

how intrusive are the ads on kindles?

Ads? I never saw one. Bought mine in Brazil.

here they subsidize the price a bit if you buy one where the home screen advertises books

Legit question, if you want free books why not use the library and actually get free books?

I think a busted usb port on my computer broke my kindle paperwhite's battery.
It didn't load anymore until it eventually shut off completely.
Does anyone know how I could fix this?
The cheaper solution the better.

I've been really wanting a Kindle DX, since it has a nine-inch screen. Found one on Craigslist for $100 and it had a scuffed screen. Probably not the best of deals.

Rural area

Yes, e-ink is much better on the eyes. I use a Kobo Glo HD. It's been great, I never buy physical books anymore. Used to own a Sony T1 (nice features but buggy as fuck). Kindles can be suitable too, you just need to use Calibre with the Apprentice Alf plugin to solve its lack of epub ability.

I went from a Paperwhite to an Aura One.
This shit is massive yet very light, I like it a lot. The screen is nice and the kepub has some nice extra features like reading time analysis and whatnot. Also the Shelf management is pretty good (compared to the piece of shit management you have with Kindle)
You really need to apply the firmware patches though.

Looking to buy one, one question, considering you do not plan on buying anything from the store, how fesible is it to leave it 24/7 in flight mode?

I do this because I do not want piece of shit ads.

I have seen stories saying that if you are not from the US, you can ask custumer support to make it add free. Those were from 4-5 years ago tho, anyone know if this is possible now?

>Those were from 4-5 years ago tho, anyone know if this is possible now?
Yeah, it is still possible.

>garbage software
>below-shit-tier battery life
>epubs need converting to be usable
$0.02 have been deposited into your kobobooks account.

Nice.

Follow up, based on individual experience, is it worth it to spend 30 bucks for a case?

Any tips/help on a paperwhite that refreshes slowly?

Does anyone here have this? Is it good for notes, or should I just get a real tablet instead?

try restarting it. or deleting some stuff if it's near capacity

This.
t. Kobo owner.

Get the third party ones. They are way cheaper.

Makes sense, should've thought of that one.

Last thing, if I have an epub and transform it into mobi, does it loose anything? Would there be any difference if the file was natively a mobi?