Does any character piss more people off than Holden Caulfield?

I can't think of one that even comes close. In a way, Holden represents every well-off person that people feel have no right to be such a sadboi.

Other urls found in this thread:

patreon.com/sargon
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17009190
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456259/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20376426
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24857610
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck, I haven't read this since high school. I think it's time I went back.

>if you have means, you have no right to feelings
Your post represents every retarded poorfag ever.

I never said that I myself thought he had no right.

eh?! thats more of a self-help 'you can do anything!' type meme

This but unironically

Didn't his parents blame him for the death of his lil bro? That's good enough reason to be a sadfag in my book.

It's not that they don't have a right to feelings, it's that their feelings are invalid and pathetic to the point of hilarity.

They hate him because he raped his sister, Phoebe.

>welfare trash crawling out of the woodwork
Back to /r9k/ with your deep feels, frogfaggot.

>>if you have means, you have no right to feelings
What a wonderful idea.

Tfw I can buy everything I want, but feel alone sometimes
Meanwhile a bunch of people working 12 hours a day without even proper food

Pic related has written 2 of the most unlikable characters in recent history I think.

>people working 12 hours a day without even proper food
The poor don't starve even in second world nowadays, let alone the first.
>I can buy anything I want
That's great. Remind yourself that when you lose your loved ones or get actual depression.

>That's great. Remind yourself that when you lose your loved ones or get actual depression.
This is a very different thing. I believe people should be thankful for what they have. In the novel, the protagonist has everything to succed in life, but is an annoying brat who complains about everything as if the world owes him bigly.

By the way, I am far from being rich, but when I feel that I would be a hypocrite to complain when there are people in a far worser situation( poor health or financially) who try to do the best they can. You will hardly poor people with extreme sadness or depressions, while in the west, lots and lots of people use drugs to curb anxiety, face depression and whatnot. People always had to go through adversity and life, it isn't different today.
Btw, what's second world? And is not starving enough?

I like him

Same. He killed me, he really did.

itt: poors who will never understand what its like to live a real life

>This is a very different thing.
It isn't. Being materially self-sufficient doesn't invalidate someone's feelings and emotions. Much like being in good health doesn't invalidate them simply because someone else is not.
>annoying brat who complains about everything
Exposing teenage angst and hypersensitivity is the core idea of the book. Every teenager is Holden Caulfield to some degree.
>I would be a hypocrite to complain when there are people in a far worser situation
See first point. There are malnourished disfigured children dying of horrible diseases every day in Africa. The world would stop turning if we followed through with your logic.
>You will hardly poor people with extreme sadness or depressions
You must have not been around poor people a lot.
>lots and lots of people use drugs to curb anxiety, face depression and whatnot
I might be wrong here, but I think diagnosing everyone with depression and ADHD and popping benzos every day is chiefly American thing.
>what's second world
Less prosperous developed countries.

So I'm with a girl and she has on one of those pointy goddamn sad little cone bras and she asks me to take off my goddamn shirt before we make out. So I do, and know what the hell she does? She laughs at my back acne for chrissakes, just point and laughs right there in the bedroom and all. So I call her a phony and get up to leave the goddamn room but she grabs me by the arm and looks at me with these big ol' wet movie starlett doe eyes. Christ, that always kills me. It really does. So I make up my mind to stay. and she's giddy and beside herself and all and we start to make out but then I get this feeling, like way deep down in my stomach, this queezy feeling, and I remember jane gallagher in her red and whtie sweater and I realize what I'm doing is just wrong and phony and all and I just up and walk out of there. And then, on the train home, wouldn't you know damn well know it, it just starts up and raining and I feel like gods up there, but not with the apostles, just alone, and he's judging me for what ive just done. But I couldn't help it. That phoebe is just so sexy. She really is.

>Exposing teenage angst and hypersensitivity is the core idea of the book.
Exposing a very annoying and spoiled teenager.
>Every teenager is Holden Caulfield to some degree.
And every man is Adam
>See first point. There are malnourished disfigured children dying of horrible diseases every day in Africa. The world would stop turning if we followed through with your logic.
By my logic, we should be thankful for being health and living in a well-developed country instead of being a Elliot type of guy.
>You must have not been around poor people a lot.
Depression is a much more urban phenomenon, people in the countryside may not be rich, but only get sad when there is a reason for that(loss of a family member/sickness)
>I might be wrong here, but I think diagnosing everyone with depression and ADHD and popping benzos every day is chiefly American thing.
European too. Being depressed is chic now.

How goddamn hot was ol'phoebes anyway?

Where did you get that picture of Sargon?

By the way, the reason I dislike Catcher in the Rye is not because I am against his whiny character. You could consider the Hero from the Underground for instance a whiny character.
The reasons I dislike it is because I hate its repetitive use of language.If Holden is a sensitive guy who likes literature, he'd be capable to be more articulate, right?
Also, the topics he whines about without making a valide point are "phony" hollywood stars and guys who get the girls. Completely irrelevant. No wonder why John Lennon said the book was worser than his songs

If you donate to his patreon, you will get all sorts of exclusive content. I have much more.

patreon.com/sargon
>Sargon of Akkad is creating arguments
Gets 8k/month: proof that anyone can get money online as long as they know their audience

>book about emotional troubles and coming to terms with growing up
>hur dur he wasn't poor he should be grateful and fuck off
I think your problem is with yourself, not with Holden.
>Depression is a much more urban phenomenon
This is factually incorrect.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17009190
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456259/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20376426
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24857610
>people in the countryside may not be rich, but only get sad when there is a reason for that(loss of a family member/sickness)
You have a worldview of a 12 year old on too much television.
>Being depressed is chic now.
It isn't and hasn't been for a good while.

I was initially responding to this, not on the merits of the in novel itself.
I believe that a novel can be good regardles of how foolish the main character is.
>I think your problem is with yourself, not with Holden
My problem is that instead of complain I try to do solve my problems. I also don't think that people don't have much reasons to be sad and so down in the dumps if they are the ones responsible for themselves?
>You have a worldview of a 12 year old on too much television.
How about the view of someone who lived in the countryside ?

>instead of complain I try to do solve my problems
These things are not mutually exclusive. There's also nothing wrong with complaining per se."Talking it out" has been a basic therapeutic technique since the dawn of time.
>I also don't think
Everyone is responsible for themselves and everyone is subject to circumstance. I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
>How about the view of someone who lived in the countryside ?
So did I in three different countries. Not that it makes my anecdotal evidence any better than yours.

Ok.
I have to leave now.
Should we agree to disagree and keep our friendship intact?

Sure. Enjoy your Sunday.

only libtards think in terms of rights

Reminder, pic related was inspired by Holden Caulfield...

In any case, I remember reading this book when I was in middle school, and again in high school. Didn't understand its significance then, and still don't now. It wasn't a very memorable story, the guy was just pessimistic as fuck.

Probably kikes in the publishing industry just promoted the shit out of it as another means to subvert society and normalize stupidity. The author, of course, was jewish.

We get it, you like /pol/

Worse: he likes /pol/ and family guy

kys

his parents most of really hated how Holden gave his brother leukemia

who is this? explain por favor

Hal from IJ pisses me off much more.

>nepotism leech upset that his feefees are the result of a childish and low intelligence mindset
Don't you just wish you could suck your dad's dick?

I understand why people don't like him, but I know some people who hate him to the point of wanting to strangle him to death. He's not a good person but he's not evil. And the guy is only 17 years old. Perhaps I'm too forgiving, but I felt he deserved a second chance at life.

Why is Raskolnikov so beloved while Holden Caulfield is so despised?

FMD's characters are actually very underhated, reading The Gambler right now, fuck Alexei is such a neurotic cuck

>it's the "non-retarded people are just stupid lucky nepotists" episode
Whatever you have to say yourself to rationalize being impotent loser, friendo.

You mean to redit?

Pedophilia is worse than murder.

How so?

I haven't read Catcher in the Rye, but I do have a thing against annoying brats

That is why I hate Hal Incandenza and Ishmael

(Seriously, that part in Infinite Jest where The Prettiest girl In The World is having dinner with the Incandenzas and Hal is annoying the shit out of her sums up perfectly my feelings for him)

Why do people think that there can't exist a good, complex character study about an unlikable character? Not referring to OP necessarily but every time this book gets posted someone says hurrrr it's shit because he's an edgy teenager, like that's not the fucking point.

best fucking post

I was depressed as a teenager and I deal with bouts of depression even as an adult. The book does a pretty good job of putting you in the mind of a depressed person. Depression doesn't really have a lot to do with a person's circumstance in life. You can be broke and have a shitty life and still be able to see things in a positive life. Or you can have a great life, have lots of wealth and accomplish your goals and still feel sad at times. Clinical depression throws your brain off in such a way that it is near-impossible to feel good even when good things happen or everything is going according to plan.

We can have a discussion about whether or not Holden had reasons to be sad. I think he did. He was a teenager after all and he had some problems that he was forced to deal with alone. And in that same regard you can't really reasonably expect him to articulate himself the way an adult would even if he was a smart kid. But either way, if he was depressed he would have just been feeling sad all the time and the book portrays that feeling well, and it gives him a redemptive arc where he finds potential meaning in life through personal reflection over something seemingly mundane. It's a very human story IMO. I've really never understood why people hate Holden so much

Because he doesn't have anything beside being an edgy teenager. It's not complex or deep. It's just fucking annoying. He has no depth.

Addendum: I think people who dislike the book generally either hate the odd writing style of the narration and read it as though Holden is retarded or they are in the majority of people who have never experienced actual depression (not just legitimate sadness but extended physiological depression) and think that Holden should just suck it up when he probably didn't have the tools to do so. "Pulling out" of depression naturally is usually a matter of patience and serendipity, people can't logic or tough their way out of it, especially not a teenager

Read it again in 5 years when you're over 18.

holden is best boi and phoebe did nothing wrong.

>everyone whining about holden caulfield being whiny
the irony never dies, that was the exact reaction of everyone in my 11th grade english class

>visit Veeky Forums after a week
>oh, this will be nice
>first thread I see is some dipshit utterly misunderstanding catcher in the rye, AGAIN

didnt holden molest phoebe?