Veeky Forums why haven't you endorsed the best translation of the Odyssey yet?

Veeky Forums why haven't you endorsed the best translation of the Odyssey yet?

Pic related, it's the translator

nytimes.com/2017/11/02/magazine/the-first-woman-to-translate-the-odyssey-into-english.html

get it while it's hot

amazon.com/Odyssey-Homer/dp/0393089053

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/24/a-father-and-sons-final-odyssey
amazon.com/Odyssey-Homer/dp/0393089053
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ewwww gross a girl. Girls give translations cooties.

Because we haven't finished the Iliad.

Lattimore is still the best

If I had a wife who translated Homer, I would be afraid that she is too smart and probably cheating on me.

>Here is how Wilson’s “Odyssey” begins. Her fifth word is also her solution to the Greek poem’s fifth word — to polytropos:
>"Tell me about a complicated man."

Could you come up with a less poetic translation of πολuτροπον than "complicated"?

I don't get why you would anything other than Pope. It's like reading two great poets at once. I thought Americans liked bargains.

Because 12 of the books of Pope's Odyssey were translated by other people? Pope only translated half the books.

I've always liked "Man of twists and turns."

>women

What does poetic mean here? Verbose?

Polytropos simply means many (or much) travelled.

It's the 21st century, there are no real poetry movements that don't equate lived experience, technical skill, and popularity.

>Since the “Odyssey” first appeared in English, around 1615

Sorry hun, you're a few centuries late.

i really hope she incorporates post-modern feminist ideals into this translation just like homer intended

Why is it the best?

Because it's a trendy women-are-just-as-good-as-men meme (no offense to the translator, I'm sure she's lovely)?

I specifically avoid female translators when looking for Greek works, and I have no problem with female authors or translators in general. A woman is honestly incapable of understanding a work like Homer's Iliad, Plato's Symposium or Laches, or Aeschylus' Agamemnon. These works are pervasive with manliness and the subtlety of women.

Damn, that really does suck. This isn’t helping the cause...

>Sing in me Muse, and through me tell the story of that man skilled in all ways of contending, the wanderer, harried for years on end, after he plundered the stronghold on the proud height of Troy

>Fitzgerald

Good taste, my friend

post more pics of the broad

actually read it a month ago.
its fantastic

What's so hard to understand about Symposium?

If you're a woman? I don't know but probably the entire thing. Of course, men who aren't from ancient Athens probably don't get it, either.

For a woman, that one person can love another with no underlying, sexual cause. The whole idea of the love described in Symposium is foreign to them.

hey Veeky Forums give me moar piktures of her

thats literally the only flattering picture of her

Nice story about Odyssey, its long so you' probably want to print it out, I read it in the magazine

newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/24/a-father-and-sons-final-odyssey

she s uglee hoe?

>its in the April 2017 issue
I know a bitch that has this I'm gonna steal it from her

>amazon.com/Odyssey-Homer/dp/0393089053
>#1 best seller in literature

Literally 100% chance these fags are eating up this translation only because she's a woman. We've had a number of lastingly solid translations emerge in the 20C; anyone actually interested in Homer has read him already.

tell me - is there a difference between a male translator and a female translator?

for example if male translates smth about the beautiful woman, then he can be inspired and portray her even more beautiful. i'll just be happy to read this - i'm a male and i like to read about sexy girls in books.

if female translates... oh. she can be excited about the heroes. she can become wet and translate that shit appropriately. i do not want to read about handsome men. I do not want to read homo stuff. i am a male, i luv girls

I read Pope's odyssey. It sucked. The rhyming ruined the whole thing

she's hot

i wanna read her