What do Brits think of this tea? I always though it was QUINTESSENTIALLY British...

What do Brits think of this tea? I always though it was QUINTESSENTIALLY British, but I was talking to this Scottish guy I know the other day and he told me it's basically garbage that they market as being some super old British brand even though real Brits don't drink it.

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/01/here-are-the-countries-that-drink-the-most-coffee-the-us-isnt-in-the-top-10/283100/
coffee.wikia.com/wiki/Coffee_imports_by_country_in_2006
e-importz.com/coffee-statistics.php
ahmadtea.com/english-breakfast-tea
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The British have basically zero knowledge of good tea.

Drink Typhoo

Fpbp the English nowadays drink the cheapest baggie medium strength black powder they can find. They just drink it more than other countries. I recently went on several of Londons most acclaimed tea places, only got loose-leaf in 2 of them, and in both the leaves were not strained out, just left there with no way of being removed. The only place that did it right was when I was a week later in Scotland. Million times cheaper too

Garbage.

At least drink pic related.

What happened? Didn't they literally conquer entire countries just to get access to tea? How did they get so retarded about it?

I guess I don't have much room to talk. Most Americans spend their shekels on disgusting cheap shit like Fireball or Seagram's when they can get good, authentic, cheap bourbon from Kentucky (an oxymoron, I know) for the same price.

As a tea-drinking burger (yeah, we exist), I find Twinings to be consistently good as a brand, though Bongs, Kiwis, and Strines might prefer Typhoo or PG. Both also good, but not necessarily better.

There is a certain way to threading a tasty bait, and this is not it.

Closer comparison is how the US drinks more coffee than anywhere else, but most Americans settle for bottom tier Folgers or Maxwell House stuff.

Well, look what happened to American coffee. They used to buy green beans and roast them at home in cast iron skillets, grind the beans, and brew in any number of simple traditional ways. Then came the post-war era of processed convenience foods. For over 50 years it was mostly pre-ground shitbeans in automatic drip machines and instant coffee. My best guess is the the same thing happened to British tea after WWII with the shit teadust in tea bags. I wouldn't be surprised if people told me the same thing happened in any country in the latter half of the 20th century. Wars damage cultures.

Protip, most Brits who like to drink strong black tea actually prefer Indian blends.

And Pakis raping children. It's the English way.

i brew their earl grey with green tea, but im american

Please don't turn this into a /pol/ thread

Too bad he's right.

I swear they send shitty blends to the USA. Twinings is fine here, average tea, I prefer smaller brands. But the Twinings I buy in the USA doesn't even smell the same coming out the packet.

This. They are like Americans with their Folgers and Maxwell house coffee, except it's PG Tips and Tetley.

Twinings and Bigelow are both superior to the most popular teas in Britain. But if you want good inexpensive bagged tea in the USA you should look for Loyd tea. It's loose leaf tea in a bag, instead of tea dust.

>drinking britbong "tea"

it's not your call

The brits will drink any kind of tea and it's fine. It's when people ponce about over things like wine or tea or golf that it gets ruined. If you like it, have it. Fuck what other people say.

Europe has had wars forever including the 1800s which was when Europe peaked culturally in my humble opinion to be quite honest with you senpai. There is a clear trend of absolutely everything healthy and positive going downhill since 1945.
Modernity wrecks cultures. Globalization, mass production and of course cultural marxism.

I'll put up with a Taylors/Ringtons but an assam/ceylon whole leaf blend is always pleasurable and preferable.

The world wars were much more pervasive than the previous ones though.
Why do you think cooking in the 60s was shit? It's because war rationing had effectively killed cooking culture, so a whole generation of people grew up with parents who barely cooked.

for me it's PG Tips. the best tea.

Scotfag here, I drink Twinings Everyday tea and it's one of the best teas I've tried for a cuppa.

Most British people drink shit tea like tetley or PG tips so I'm not surprised he would call Twinings shit, They are also one of the few companies in UK where you can get a good Earl Grey from out the shops.

whats the difference between cold and ice tea?
is it just that people dont want to wait for it to cool down or is the taste actually very different?

Iced tea is God's gift to America, and America is God's gift to the world. One sip of it will put your mind at ease, and a tall glass of it on a hot summer's day overlooking your property from the rocking chair on your front porch will transport you to Heaven.

Cold tea, on the other hand, is just tea that has cooled down to room temperature and it is fucking disgusting.

Also, fun fact: before WWII, green tea was the type of tea predominantly used for iced tea in America. But after the beginning of hostilities with Japan, green tea was deemed "too Asian" and so Americans started using black tea instead for it.

but why is iced tea different from cold tea?
and if so can you just put tea in the fridge and turn it into ice tea?

Why my tea doesn't taste like anything? I tried making a bag, but it ended as water with a nice aroma and color.

Iced tea requires ice. And sugar, unless you're a fucking Yank

mm i was gonna make iced tea with just tea. i dont want to use sugar

>is the taste actually very different
Considering the insane amounts of sugar usually put in what american southerners call iced tea, yeah the taste is different compared to tea gone cold.

ah. when i drink my last cup of tea from a cold pot i can usually enjoy the different taste it gives. so i was wondering if iced tea would be kind of the same. i didnt think it was actually just a sugar spike drink. i would probably prefer hot tea then with that amount of sugar.
but i am currently trying out all kinds of things to start enjoying tea without any additives at all.
so i figured just making some tea and throwing in ice cubes after 5-10 minutes and let it cool down all the way

Iced tea is generally sweeted a little with a touch of sugar (A FUCKING TOUCH, NOT THE WHOLE BAG MARTHA) or some honey and lemon.
It's super crisp and refreshing

How long did you steep it for? Usually have to do around 4-5 minutes for black tea bags

If it's black tea, the water must be actively at a full boil when the water hits the tea. You will hear different views from ignorant people. Ignore them.

what if you have green tea mixed in?

Since the flavor of the black tea is superior, I would go with the black tea method. I've never known green tea to suffer from fully boiling water.

The difference between iced tea and cold tea is that iced tea is overbrewed so it still tastes like something when diluted. That significantly changes the taste, so just letting tea cool doesn't work. You need to simmer the tea for a while. Both lemon and a little sugar are great but unnecessary additions

i mean if you make your own blend and it has black tea mixed in so you need to start with boiling.

any good recipes out there?

Yorkshire Tea is even more expensive than Twinings where I live.

what if you just put it in the fridge instead of putting in ice?

I like twinnings Irish breakfast tea.

My ma used to make "sun tea", she would leave a glass pitcher covered with aluminum foil outside in summertime, with water and about four black tea bags. After a couple hours she'd bring it inside and cool it in the fridge.

Was tasty this way and had a unique subtle flavor that regular iced tea had.

All I know about Twinnings is that their Chai blend is absolute shit. It tastes like a summer sausage, with hints of big red chewing gum and black pepper. I think it's the only tea I've had that is not just mediocre, but truly revolting.

Put 2-3 times the amount of tea you would usually use in a pot of boiling water, simmer on medium low heat for 15 minutes, take out the tea, add sugar if you want, and make cold using ice or the fridge. If you're using the fridge make sure to dilute your tea with water before drinking.

>add sugar if you want
No. The sugar is mandatory. Preferably turbinado sugar. Unless you're some fucking mick/kraut/frog mutt from New York, you need to be adding sugar to your iced tea.

>turbinado sugar
if anything Sucanat
but why would you need that. its not like there is some kind of chemical process like with kombucha

Doesn't need sugar. You will need ice.

okay. whats the difference between increasing the concentration and then dilute the tea over just making regular tea and putting it in the fridge

The key here is more over extraction than the strength of the tea, I find. There's no reason I can think of why you couldn't make normal strength tea and cooling it, as long as it's overextracted for dem tannins

>the US drinks more coffee than anywhere else

Also you need to brew the tea stronger than you would for hot tea even if you're not going to dilute it with ice. The mere fact it's cold will dull the taste so you need to compensate

i really like twings in my opinion is much better the loyd, premium lipton, dilmah or hipster pay per gram tea, sadly in near stores there is nothing else.
But i think that i will order a lot of different kinds of tea

I hate Twinnings Earl Grey. Love their loose leaf Green Tea from the cans though.

I actually like their earl grey the best, even the baggies I can tolerate when I make tea at work

theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/01/here-are-the-countries-that-drink-the-most-coffee-the-us-isnt-in-the-top-10/283100/

Netherlands - 2.414 cups per day
Population of Netherlands - 17,200,000
41,520,800 cups of coffee drank each year in the Netherlands.

USA - 0.931 cups per day
Population of USA - 325,719,000
303,244,389 cups of coffee drank in the United States each year.

USA drinks around 7 times as much coffee as The Netherlands. The numbers would be similar for Finland and Sweden.

coffee.wikia.com/wiki/Coffee_imports_by_country_in_2006

>b-but that's just the raw numbers that not how much the average citizen drinks!!!

Okay. Let's just say only 10% of the USA are big time coffee enthusiasts. That would still be 32,571,000 people. Around double the population of the Netherlands.

USA is by far and wide margins the coffee drinking champion of the world.

Dutch have bigger dicks, Amerimutt

>Okay. Let's just say only 10% of the USA are big time coffee enthusiasts.
That's actually something that is easily looked up and it's far more than 10%.
e-importz.com/coffee-statistics.php
>Over 50% of Americans over 18 years of age drink coffee every day. This represents over 150 million daily drinkers
>Among coffee drinkers, the average consumption in the United States is 3.2 cups of coffee per day.

>muh dick
Literally the thought process of a nigger

General opinion on Harney and Sons? Pic related is my shit.

>African

I used to really like the sunshine grey bags that Twinings sold, but they discontinued it a while ago. The rest of their range is alright, I suppose. It's not particularly good quality, but it's cheap. I buy my tea from T2 these days as they have some pretty good loose leaf selections.

I drink their Irish breakfast blend because I like to be a special snowflake cunt

what about these two part teas, with both granules for taste and leaves for aroma? At the place I live this is the best cheap tea I think (it's 50% of what it's on the site) ahmadtea.com/english-breakfast-tea

Granules are bullshit. Just buy looseleaf tea.

I only ever see this shit in hotels. People drink PG tips, Typhoo or Tetley mostly at home or a cheap generic version of one of those that a cafe buys in bulk

most people in Britain just want to make a quick cup of tea during the TV adverts in the evening, or during a quick break at work, they're not looking for high quality.

making quality loose leaf tea in a tea pot is less common nowadays, although I still do it on the weekend, but it's pretty inconvenient.

>not drinking russian caravan

it's only old people and working class roleplayers who drink tea in this country

do you exclusively hang out with foreigners or something? practically everyone drinks tea in one form or another.

tea is easy on my heart, don't bully my hypertension

They have artificial flavoring in some of their teas. Don't understand why since their teas with no added crap are decent.

I got a huge bag of this 11/10 best tea.

Seen that at my moms I personally only drink tea she offers but i don't see her much anymore

Why don’t you visit mum for a nice cuppa?

Visit your mum user (unless she's an abusive cunt)

Reminder to people other than OP, call your mom, your grandparents if they're still alive, If they're in a nursing home, please visit them. I used to work in a nursing home.

Anons, remember your family and (as long as they're not abusive cunts) take good care of them.