Which are his best works?

Which are his best works?

Cardenio

it's those plays innit

'srsly Hamlet' is the obvious patrician choice.

New Atlantis

King Lear
Sonnet 18
Sonnet 55

the actual text is easier to interpret than this

To be honest, I used to like Shakespeare’s Hamlet, but it falls flat after reading David Wallace’s magnum opus. It’s like when J. Cash did “Hurt” or Jimi played “All Along the Watchtower.” I don’t even really think of it as a Shakespeare story anymore.

This is too obviously a false comparison and therefore b8.
Of the covers, each are great but I wouldn't say either are necessarily 'better' than the originals. The NIN version of Hurt, for instance, sounds as if it's coming from some spooky region of the psyche, whereas the Cash version comes straight from the (mangled) gut. Both are great.

I recognize it is perhaps not his best, but my favorite is The Tempest. Very fantastical, and pretty cool depending on how its staged.
When I was a kid a traveling theater group staged it on our town green one hot summer night, and I hid up a tree and watched it alone from up there. Good memory, and one of the most instrumental to me pursuing literature. They had a big dragon puppet, requiring multiple puppeteers, for caliban. Shit was rad as fuck

Henry the 5th of course

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more...

None of them. Literally the most overrated garbage playwright in history. Maybe for his time his works were noteworthy, but comparatively there are so many better things to read. Of course his work had influence, but the source is not always the best.

The ones Thomas Middleton co-wrote (Macbeth and Measure for Measure).

Coriolanus

>but comparatively there are so many better things to read

Go on...

Hamlet is the best thing ever written in the English language.

Pretty sure Middleton ruined Macbeth. His best is obviously Hamlet, but contrarians will disagree.

Romeo and Julio

Kek.

>His best is obviously Hamlet

Hello, sophomore. His best are Antony and Cleopatra, Richard III, Henry IV, Merchant of Venice.

Hamlet is also staunchly pro-Catholic.

Richard iii, junior? Please.
Richard ii, rather.

>Hamlet is also staunchly pro-Catholic.
You say that as if it's a bad thing. Shakespeare was a badass Catholic rebel in a land full of odious proddies. Why do you think Hamlet was in Wittenberg? (not a rhetorical question)

Omly good post ITT.

His best is Henry IV Part One.

Hamlet, Othello, Macbeth, King Lear, Antony and Cleopatra, Coriolanus, Julius Caesar, Romeo and Juliet
Measure for Measure, The Tempest
As You Like It, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night
Richard II, Henry IV I and II
The Sonnets