Thoughts on Kerouac?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/103405.Road_Novels_1957_1960
twitter.com/AnonBabble

pseud

too pure for this world

Cool when you're young

degenerate

He really wanted to be amazed by life, but never actually was, it was always a pursuit.

>degenerate
Epic buzzword, user! Made my day, have an upvote!

this, he was always chasing some fantasy of life, trying to find something transcendental in the world and only found disappointment. All his works have this fucking background layer of sadness eating away at them. Even when good things happen its subtly pained because he knows its fleeting, and he'll always be running it down.

the truest american voice in literature

One of the most misunderstood american writer. Pop culture put him in the big Beat area with all the freak proto hippie stereotype which Kerouac felt empty and conformist. He wrote a lot about decadent and romantic topics in the context of the fifties. He truly write about romantic catholic passion of the saint sinner. There are a lot of analogies with Pasolini.

You can't upvote posts on Veeky Forums, dumbass.

I liked both On the Road and Dharma Bums

Got associated with the beat movement but he wasnt a cum guzzling faggot hack.
On the Road is still mediocre though.

Chad writer with a Roux de Poux name.

Never got into Kerouac. I found it dull and boring. Perhaps, because it was 50s lit, and I was of the hippie generation. For me it didn't ring true.

Dumb leftist drug using hipster

25% correct.

the postmodernists in this board don't like him, even though he was a proto-postmodernist. typical case of leftists eating each others

On the Road was pretty shite

He stopped chasing it in his 40s and just started downing a liquor bottle everyday.

His work is very good, not all time great but worth reading anyways.

Some of the more surface level themes especially appeal to younger readers, however as other anons have mentioned, the constant sadness and catholic guilt (and passion and piety and love etc) are more interesting. I would not place him in the pile with the rest of the 'Beats', and I don't think Kerouac would so categorize himself either.

I loved him a lot when I was in high school, as I think many do even if they do not admit to it. Not that there is anything wrong with this, as reading Kerouac as a young man certainly will present ideas that require more investigation, and will lead to other 'greater' works.

Essential reading is probably On the Road, Dharma Bums, and probably Desolation Angels. There are other good ones but none as important.

>watches McCarthy Hearings while smoking pot and rooting for the commies to be jailed

Absolutely Patrician

>was a proto-postmodernist
Elaborate. In any case he wasn't a leftist.

Indeed you are.

Whatever anyone thinks of Kerouac, calling him a pseud is just fucking retarded. He's the opposite of a pseud.

The ending of "Bums" is one of the most uplifting passages I've ever read. Pity that novel gets pushed out of the limelight by On the Road.

The Library of America editions are great reads.

goodreads.com/book/show/103405.Road_Novels_1957_1960

this is what i find inspirational about his work. chase over catch, becoming over being, he not busy being born is busy dying.

this part makes his life and work particularly sad, however.

Drug using?

I enjoyed Dharma Bums. He obviously had a lot of sympathies for his Catholic faith even though he was playing with Zen. Very strange guy. I'm relatively young so the book hit home a little

Really comfy read, especially On the Road and Dharma Bums.

and hit the nail on the head, however. His work is very sad when you remember that he never found true happiness and died of an abdominal hemorrhage at age 47 while living with his mother in Florida. Once he realized that he was chasing, he accepted his fate and just checked out with a bottle of liquor.

fpbp

/thread

Kerouac is a talentless tryhard. He is XD randum: The Author.

Fuck you he was brilliant with a heart