Post the most overrated books or overrated personalities of literature. Let's express honest opinions

Post the most overrated books or overrated personalities of literature. Let's express honest opinions.

picrandom

Other urls found in this thread:

cosmoetica.com/top43-des40.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I forgot how funny that picture is

The Great Gatsby is my go-to answer
On a more obvious yet even truer level, Rupi Kaur

Jonathan Franzen "The Great American Novelist".
Really? Time magazine? Corrections a book about melodrama family. How many times we have read this kind of shit? Does he wants to be the next DFW?

Elizabethan England? Please- I’ll grant you Shakespeare, Milton, & above both- John Donne. Who comes next? No 1 that can reasonably be granted greatness. The assorted Dynastic periods of China? Tu Fu & Li Po I’ll grant, & perhaps Po-Chu-I, but you’re stretching the definition of an age when it spans centuries, & after those 3 you are left with ‘poets’ who wore that appellation about as neatly as a Joyce Carol Oates- most were routine scribes who wrote routine verse. Haiku? Bashō, Buson, Issa- then who? Not to mention that 3 line haikus- even at their best- simply cannot match the depth, complexity, nor music of even a sonnet. Latin American poets in the early-mid 20th Century? There are a few greats- Paz, Neruda, Huidobro come to mind- but most were just political hacks- bumper sticker writers. The French Symbolists? Mallarme & who else? The Romantics? Hmm….England- Shelley, Keats, perhaps Coleridge & Wordsworth. Forget Byron or Clare- the rest fall off a cliff. Perhaps the German Romantics? Goethe, Schiller, Novalis, Holderlin, Heine? Puh-leeze! Perhaps the Soviet Era poets of Russia? Pasternak, Mandelstam, & Tsvetaeva are greats, while Akhmadulina, & Akhmatova were pretty good. Don’t even try to make a claim for the propagandist Mayakovsky.
Now, here’s a pretty good list of the major American poets who were writing & came to fame during the 1910-1970 period: Wallace Stevens, Robert Frost, Carl Sandburg, T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, Robinson Jeffers, Archibald MacLeish, Marianne Moore, Hart Crane, Countee Cullen, Langston Hughes, H.D., Elizabeth Bishop, William Carlos Williams, Edna St. Vincent Millay, e.e. cummings, Kenneth Rexroth, Kenneth Patchen, Edwin Rolfe, Charles Olson, Robert Hayden, John Berryman, Gwendolyn Brooks, Robert Lowell, James Emanuel, W.D Snodgrass, Allen Ginsberg, Frank O’Hara, Anne Sexton, Weldon Kees, & Sylvia Plath come to mind without much effort. & some could argue this list is only ½ or ⅓ its proper length.

Gravity's Rainbow is inferior to both M&D and AtD
DeLillo should never be mentioned in the same breath as Gaddis, Gass, McElroy, or Barthelme
DFW and Franzen both disdain highbrow fiction and despite DFW's early maximalist work he shouldn't be lumped in with the greats he despised in his later years
The Savage Detectives is one of the worst books I have ever read (2666 was fantastic)
Sylvia Plath is garbage compared to her husband's work
C.S. Lewis is a terrible writer

Gertrude Stein should be completely forgotten by this point

>McElroy
My nigga.

cosmoetica.com/top43-des40.htm

Tolkien was just a linguistic nerd
Jonathan Franzen is overrated as fuck
Lovecraft was a terrible writer, Thomas Ligotti it's 100x better.

Lovecraft and Ligotti are on different planes though. The former constructed a whole Mythos and world sui generis, with a steady prose style derived from Edgar Allen Poe turned into his own, while the latter is good at atmospheric surreal horror pieces.

Fuck Updike. Hate this guy.

>cute girl is reading a book
>it’s this pile of garbage

Every fucking time

Barthelme is a hack though

Joyce, he's a decent writter but people be actin' like he's the second coming of jesus

I have a hard time imagining that someone who has actually read Joyce doesn't believe he's a god-tier author

Why? Genuinely curious.
Does it have to do with her whole 'masterpiece' idea?

I find her writing absolutely offensive to read
I quite like some avant-garde prose poetry and think that language should definitely be played with, but when I read Gertrude Stein it feels like I can fully know what she was trying to do and what her process was, which is poison for avant-garde art. When I read her, all I can think of is the time I've spent writing prose poetry and I can identify all the little tricks I've used in her writing as well, and I am NOT a good avant-garde writer. You should be overwhelmed by avant-garde art. It should be touching on things you can't even put into words. Stein's writing can be completely walled off and dissected, the opposite of the effect it should have.

>Post the most overrated books or overrated personalities of literature.
James Joyce by an astronomical mile.

>I have a hard time imagining that someone who has actually read Joyce doesn't believe he's a god-tier author
Try graduating freshman lit 101 and you might.

He's an OK punster, but his understanding of the human condition and human spirituality is highschool-tier fedora cringefest.

Philip Roth. The only reason he is successful is because his writing is hyper-Jewish, and most of the most powerful influencers in modern society are Jews who want to promote their in-group.

He had a god-tier command of the English language without god-tier substance, I think

dostoyevski was a fag. russians have no soul, and therefore no talent for writing.

I can't stand 19th-century brit lit. it sucks. it's boring.

critical theory is a giant waste of circlejerking time and more value can be derived from reading actual literature instead of commentary on it.

Vollmann is boring as shit and is a pseud

likewise for Cormac McCarthy

Gravity's Rainbow is vastly inferior to pinecone's other works

Positive Opinions:
New journalism is an underrated literary movement

Vietnam War lit produced some of the most well-written books and is underrecognized

Burroughs's work is more than just Naked Lunch, Junky, and Queer and is really worth the deep study.

>Mentions muh hoomun condishiun
>Calls others high schoolers

Ulysses is a boring piece of wankery.

Tao Lin has as much interesting to say as a 5th grader that is a few chromosomes short.

Vonnegut won't be remembered in 100 years.

Hannah Arendt was the last worthwhile philosopher.

Bukowski
>muh dark realism
>muh troubled low-life character

T. S. Eliot is the king of hacks.

Till We Have Faces is elite