/Translation/ General

You fuckers tend to have good taste in general. Which translation of Les Fleurs du Mal by Baudelaire should I get?

Other urls found in this thread:

fleursdumal.org/
smile.amazon.com/Flowers-Evil-Bilingual-Directions-Paperbook/dp/0811211177/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509987407&sr=8-2&keywords=the flowers of evil new directions book
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the most expensive version

Richard Howard or Oxford edition

dont waste your time just read an equivalent poet in english

My French is very rudimentary (1 year of a high school class, plus the general acquaintance that any well-read person acquires with Romance languages). Personally, I enjoy reading over the French slowly while consulting multiple different translations.
This site has multiple translations together with the French:
fleursdumal.org/

Can't translate poetry
There are a few instances of great reinterpretations
Like Pope, Dryden and German Shakespeare or Moncrief

The Oxford parallel is actually really nice

Walter Martin is pretty good, as is Richard Howard.

Best translator for Dostoevskys short stories?

Me.

PV is the most accurate meaning it is stilted
Mcduff is the most expressive
REVISED Garnett is one of my favorites
Never buy Penguin
Dostoe is a great dialogue writer but the translation isn't super important

>Dostoe is a great dialogue writer
Is he? Is it just a Russian thing where people repeat themselves like four times in a sentence?

Why never Penguin?

Also, did any of those translators actully do his short stories? I can only find one P&V collection

>McDuff, Garnett
They didn't even translate short stories.
>PV is the most accurate
Stop parroting random shit on topics you have no idea about and kill yourself, worthless piece of subhuman garbage.
Go with Magarshak.

>Go with Magarshak.

Ok, thank you.

>Stop parroting random shit on topics you have no idea about
Nope they are, that's what makes them bad, now fuck off or provide a more accurate translator that I must have never heard of

> implying that if I were to provide you a more accurate translator you'd read again dostoevskij's works from scratch
stop posturing

Right, so who else writes paeans to hot Jew girls, negress hookers, lesbian vampires and beautiful corpses in half decent English then?

translation doesn't matter at all unless you're postmodernist with an obsession for deconstructing the language. what matters is the content and the emotions\message\concepts that the author is conveying

The version I have is the 'new directions book' version which includes a wide variety of translators and the original french, and I find it quite good.

smile.amazon.com/Flowers-Evil-Bilingual-Directions-Paperbook/dp/0811211177/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509987407&sr=8-2&keywords=the flowers of evil new directions book

>reads and writes in English
>can't read and write in French

all the words are basically the same. wtf is wrong with you people?

>translation doesn't matter at all
>what matters is that the author is conveyed appropriately

really activates the old almonds

is this true

Sort of. 70% of English is either from French or Latin.