WHY ARE THERE SEEMINGLY LESS AND LESS GREAT WORKS OF LITERATURE THE CLOSER TO THE PRESENT DAY YOU GET?

WHY ARE THERE SEEMINGLY LESS AND LESS GREAT WORKS OF LITERATURE THE CLOSER TO THE PRESENT DAY YOU GET?

Other urls found in this thread:

theuntranslated.wordpress.com/category/the-great-untranslated/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12th_century_in_literature
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't worry. We just need everything to collapse. Then, from the ashes, true art shall rise again.

WHY?! WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME SO WITH THESE JEZEBELS? All I want to do is come here for an asexual experience that will exercise my brain but I am constantly titillated by these vixens with their prodigious hips and provocative figures. Can I never satiate this thirst, will I ever know the touch of a woman and enter between her loins? Will my seed ever drip from her moistened hole?

The Reign of Quantity and the Sign of the Times

Have you ever actually looked at the dates that great works of literature were written? My guess is probably not.

Between the 1910s to the 1970s there were a ton

As far as belles-lettres goes, literature's cultural currency as a whole has certainly fallen to motion pictures in the post World War II period.

On the other hand, nonfiction works and independent media, especially in journalism, has flourished because of the advent of the Internet. Older anons speak of how Chomsky was an edgelord before the Internet, but his worldview to a large degree informs much of the serious Post Arab Spring/Occupy Wall Street political discourse.

Certainly, this is welcome, but I worry that political movements that are all mind and little soul ultimately have little potential for widespread impact. After all, Luther's secret weapon against the Catholic Church was congregations singing hymns in unison. And many of the Bolsheviks, most notably Lenin but even a gangster like Stalin, were not only steeped in Marxist theory but also had unusual depth in belles-lettres. The future is uncertain, but without art, political movements of liberation will likely not have legs in the long run.

Decline of literacy.

Thats only indicative of a rising middle class lifestyle and luxuries like free time that gave way to the exploration of hobbies like writing you fuckin' nigger!

>inb4 they're not reading REAL literature
Antiquated book speak isn't a measure of intelligence, it has no bearing on your capacity for language or intelligence. People are still getting an elaborated code of language anyway, just not in the form of Dickens and other old tomes.

Does anyone else find it kind of strange that when you look at a girl she is really the same as a man just with a slightly different shaped body? And when you realize this you're sort of turned off from them the same way you're unattracted to men? Like how different is a woman's leg or arm from a man's really. It has maybe one or two curves which give it a different shape but JUST slightly, and other body parts might have even less of a difference, like an arm or a shoulder blade. You're really just attracted to a "feminine-looking" human form, but what is that, really? It's a thing that could have become a man but it sort of grew opposite to a man and became a womanish thing. Does anyone get what I'm saying here?

fewer

Just go bi and stop worrying about it, sperg

Keep telling yourself that sweetie but you'll always be a filthy pleb.

No, you don't understand what I'm saying. I'm saying when you're walking around with a girl thinking, "hey this is normal I'm with a girl a this is the girl I have sex with and it's normal". But when you really think about it, what's the difference between thinking about a woman as a woman and thinking about her as a particular type of deformity in a man? Like she is a weird offshoot of a man and then men become *attracted* to her because she forms into a voluptuous shape which causes men to gravitate towards her.

Survivor bias

I'm not part of the elite, but it feels like a liberal arts education isn't really a mark of the ruling class anymore. In England, from the time of Shakespeare to the reign of Victoria, knowing Greek and Latin was a must in order to be considered a gentleman. But nowadays, being the product of an elite business school is the mark of the elite. I guess nowadays, people who read musty old tomes actually enjoy reading musty old tomes, and these aren't necessarily people with a lot of power or prestige.

I'm sure the jaded elitist Victorians were saying the same about their literature degenerating. Language evolves. Get over it. English itself is a degenerated form of other languages and broke conventions.

Yeah, but people are getting an elaborated code of language (where they can go "deeper" into semantics) in university, it's just not as esoteric. I don't see how that's bad. What's the point of putting the dialect of the rich on a pedestal?

>comes to Veeky Forums to exercise his brain

Like, how far removed are men who date women from homosexuality? They're maybe three or four sexual characteristics away from being attracted to a man, you see what I'm saying? Both straight men and homosexual men are attracted to the human form, but with slightly different characteristics. Like, they're both attracted to a person's buttocks, but with a slightly different shape. You see?

Fyi all babies start as females in the womb so fucking a guy is actually straighter than fucking a woman would be gay.

These questions have been answered in a pyschology book somewhere, can you fuck off and educate yourself instead of spreading your insecurities?

For instance, what does it say about me that I am attracted to a human thigh? I haven't said whether that thigh belongs to a man or a woman, but it is true that I am attracted by the thigh when it is a particular shape. What does that say about me?

It must not be the thigh itself, but what the thigh when it is a particular shape, evokes in me. But then, the person is only acting as a vehicle for an evocation of a particular response from me.

It says youre a faggot. I can guarantee you if all you saw was a disembodied thigh, you wouldnt be attracted to it. Youre attracted to the person the thigh is on, (their personality, the rest of their body, their essence and the idea of sexing them).

Have you not had sex-ed class yet kiddo?

>Will my seed ever drip from her moistened hole?
disgusting desu

This guys a fucking weirdo

definitely more litterature from the Vth century than the XXth.
there are not less, they haven't had the time to benefit from posterior praise.

Well, you are on Veeky Forums so obviously you're going to get partisans of belle-lettres defending the good ole cause.

I feel that Bakhtin basically had it right: good literature is always dialogic and polyphonic, in other words, a literary text at its best will be capacious enough to hold different points of view, and the different linguistic and semiotic markers that come with different point of views. You don't get that with fields like economics or business or even science, where uniformity of discourse is sought. Literature really is a unique art form that is not interchangeable with specialized fields that dominate elite education, like business or finance.

I’m with this guy.
You must be either a virgin or a fag.
But yeah bro I totally get it lit is probably the best place for anything resembling intellectual discussion. I come here to forget I can’t get laid.
Why do fags like OP have to torture us like this? It’s not like I can ignore it. Does he not know the animal spirits such sluts call forth? Having a boner isn’t exactly conducive to intellectual discussion either. This is also a blue board.

1. Go on Tinder
2. Find a girl with non slutty pictures but a profile that talks about sex. Make sure she is about as attractive as you are.

Non slutty pictures means she's okay if you aren't as experienced, but the profile tells you she wants it as much as you do. Once you find this girl (about an hour of swiping should suffice). You're good. Just take here out to dinner then offer to take her back to your place and fuck.

Relax pal there's only a handful of great works each century

That's what you get for being monolingual:

theuntranslated.wordpress.com/category/the-great-untranslated/

Fyi all mammals start as a single cell. So having sex with your wife is the same as having sex with a goat. Hence we are all arab

>Make sure she is about as attractive as you are.

i.e. fucking hideous? I think I'd rather just masturbate.

Actually, no, they start with two.

I believe it seems like there is less good works out there, because it becomes easier to fill the market with popular, commercialized works.

how do you not recognise that pasta

Anyone that knows basic biology knows that the baby in the womb develops as female first and then switches to male based on chromosomes. Hence why we all have nipples. Dumdum

I love this thead!
It really activates the brain.

Because there are but they haven't been canonized yet and since you are a retard who only reads books that are spoonfed to you by the literary intelligentsia and the collective memory of humanity you don't know.
This "reeee literature today friking sukks!" mentality has existed in every day and age.

Because Narcissismus' Tales Untold is the penultimate perfection. Not worth attempting greatness after that, cannot ever be surpassed nor even matched.

Yes I've been having this sort of thought lately.

All the good writers started making movies because it's an objectively superior medium.

That's because the bourgeoisie has made the world in its own image. Aristocratic values have been totally expunged

this

Thanks for ruining women for me. Now traps are all I have left.

whats wrong with her butt, Veeky Forums?

Yep. But there are rare exceptions. Pounce on those.

nothing. there are videos of her doing anal masturbation and they are delicious

>he hasn't taken the asexuality pill and admonishes his love of the flesh yet

Satisfying your basic needs first. Then try to exercise your brain.

Survivor bias, obv.

Who is this dirty looking thick-browed honey?

Seriously? You gotta post the salsa, user, don't be a dick.

Yes we are just attracted to the feminine form. I don't see the big deal, the further you get to the masculine form the less attractive she becomes.

I'm pretty sure OP really is a man, tho

>she is really the same as a man just with a slightly different shaped body?
You should really plan to meet an actual girl at some point in your life, just to see how hopeless your premise is.

Because works that have stood the test of time are exactly that: works that have stood the test of time. Not every book you read nowadays that's hailed as a masterpiece was appreciated in its day. There are a few exceptions, like Tolstoy and Dickens, and even those you can say they were just popular and not many people thought they'd be herald as part of the western canon like they are today.

Protip: there's nothing wrong with enjoying something modern and popular.

Trust me, there is better fiction than you think. Some is repurposed into new fiction, and some has survived the tests of time itself.

wtf i hate women now

it takes time for a novel to become accepted as part of the cannon

link?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12th_century_in_literature

Because the people who are alive now or are somewhat newly dead decide the classics of the time much further in the past. As you get closer to the present day, the people deciding which works are classics reside further in the future.
In short, we won't know what the classics of modern times are. Future generations will decide that.

Because no one wants to sit in a room for ten years with no distractions to just think and bring new ideas into our world.

Who is this jezebel?

Gaaaaayyyyy

You are just gay

Because the standard of discipline performed on students from educators and themselves is less strict and efficient. It’s literally the only reason, beware people who try to tell you elsewise.

lol

this is what i don't understand about men, i cant imagine going gaga over a slightly different more curvy shape. not complaining it is just alien to me.

Film slowly, but ultimately largely replaced Literature as THE popular form of media
The internet dealt the death blow

"Great works" don't exist in a vacuum. In order to be considered great, a work needs to 1) be consumed by most people who *can* consume it, 2) enjoyed by a large percentage of said consumers, and 3) have enough depth to be written about over a large period of time (decades, centuries, millenia).

High literacy, combined with low interest in literature, means that you don't even get to #2 or #3 most of the time. The reason why it matters is because "great works" are generally immune to elitist bias: in other words, they're not made solely for the elites nor solely enjoyed by them. If only a small group of people consume a given work, then regardless of whether they like or whether it has the legs to be discussed forever after, it will be difficult for even a skeptical contemporary critic to think of the work as anything more than circlejerk material for elites or trash for select commonfolk.

Ultimately, the rising attention-splittingness/ADHDness of contemporary times is the true killer of "great works" in all media. Even film has only had a handful of great works post-2009.

The sheer irony of this poster being called a faggot

>le survivorship bias meme
>implying any modern work of literature is going to be deemed part of the western canon 200 years hence.

>it's a present people are ADHD stricken sheep and past people were enlightened gentlemen episode

Just because you suck his dick rather than vice versa doesn't mean he's not a faggot.

>"X doesn't exist in a vaccuum"

Immediately stopped reading

*FEWER

It's not about one set of people being worse than the other, you mong. It's about one set having much more options available to them and how that has positives and negatives.

The decreasing amount of "great works" is one of the major downsides to living in our "present with ADHD stricken sheep". We otherwise have access to centuries worth of great literature, great TV, great films, great comics, etc., which our ancestors had access to no more than 1% of. I'm not some sort of luddite asking to go back to the past; our present is pretty damn good.

>our present is pretty damn good.
I completely agree, we have everything we could ever want

It takes time to see what great works of literature have emerged from a given period. A lot of works that will be considered great in the future may just be obscure right now. This may take longer because of all the noise created by visual media. Time clears away all (or most) cant, hopefully.