This is really good lads

Already 60 pages in; its brilliant. Whats this stuff about it being hard to read?

It only gets better.

what a terrible cover, holy shit

These do read well, however.

Proust is a top 5 writer of all time, probably #1 GOAT

The style of prose and beauty of detail and concepts, like how the two entrances of the house constitute the two sides of his brain, things like that, and the descriptions of the paths etc are really lovely.

What is tiresome is that there is really nothing happening of substance the whole time. "In Search of Lost Time."
Why is the time considered lost, and why is he searching for it? Because nothing happened and he is in denial that his life was so shallow, and now that he is bedridden wants to chronicle his past to see if there was beauty to salvage of it. Sure there are hints in anyone's life but, and I know this is bigoted of me, I have trouble sympathizing with people who never have to a work a day in their life and still find things to get depressed and dour about.

Le ennui of a privileged bourgeois. His neurotic attachment to his mother didn't help my sympathies either.

it's the dust jacket of a clothbound dumbass

>Overgrown babby can't go to sleep without mommy's kisses.

Was Proust really that much of a pussy ass faggot?

A delicate child of life to be sure

His paranoia, his ego-centricity, his sexual jealousy, his 'concerns,' etc., all still very much apply with respect to their invovement to these here modern times. His crass externalization of the notion of time and very down to earth literary philosophy keep him interesting. Marcel, for instance, is very clearly proto NEET, and therefore timely still.
And this tackles very little....

So the Moncrieff translation is good?

It turns out he finds the lost time in people. There I saved you 3000 pages of this nonsense.

t. brainlet
A la recherche is the greatest novel ever written

>mfw i finished it I wondered where all the time went

read more

better than being a profane dullard

Ye

inb4 /pol/ ruins another thread because the author is Jewish.

>Whats this stuff about it being hard to read?

lots of long sentences, little in the way of "plot," and it really is all 1 novel so its easy to get lost if you take much time off from reading it halfway through on your first read - you'll only get maximum payoff with the later sections if you can remember the earlier ones. requires stamina

you have to keep going. i wasn't blown away by swann's way either but it really pays off to read the whole thing. there's a 120 page scene where marcel finally 'makes it' with the guermantes social set in vol 3 that i ripped through in one sitting with no awareness of time, one of my top reading experiences ever - felt like the contemplative equivalent of a fighter jet breaking the sound barrier. there's so much good stuff that you've missed if you bailed after vol 1. if you ever come back to it and finish you're going to feel like a fool for having said this kind of crap

>overgrown
He was a child. Every normal child wants his/her mother's love.

should I learn French or just read a translation

The entire first few books center around him unable to let go of his youth

inb4 leftists ruin the thread because he was bourgeiousie

This is a rare case of an excellent translation

Thoughts on Lydia Davis translation? A relative gave one copy to me last Christmas, been thinking about reading it but maybe there is a better translation out there.

Prolly good (I've heard good things about it), but for continuity Moncrieff is better. She only did Swann's Way.

À toi de voir, cher ami.

Is this serious or trolling?