Why do we write?

And is the reason why we create important?

youtube.com/watch?v=Zpc5m8ltkiU

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bdpIUbx-6NE
youtube.com/watch?v=YARi25_5Egw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's about finding a mode to provide catharsis, or, it's about money and getting laid.

Duh

ego

With this quote, I can infer Tarkovsky is the Nabokov of film.

a theatre in my city is screening all the new tarkovsky restorations, I'm already seeing the Mirror, should I see anything else?

Reminder for everyone in this thread to watch Stalker. Tarkovsky is patrician tier.

Also Solaris is great, Ivan's Childhood, and Andrei Rublev.

Andrei Rublev is his best and one of the most moving films ever made.

interesting quote from tartoskovy. modern psychology would find proving your worth from something external as damaging.

sure you need to know why you write, it fuels the motive to write in the first place. in what sense do you have a question inside a frame without a why.

Solaris is far from great. It's not only one of his worst movies, it is also a mediocre movie overall and a very poor adaptation from the novel.

It might be one of his worst movies (that doesn't say much), and I did prefer the book, but Solaris is still a great film. The film-making was revolutionary too, this scene was a technical marvel for the time.
youtube.com/watch?v=bdpIUbx-6NE

In what way is it revolutionary? I really don't have that much knowledge about filmmaking, or at least not from a technical standpoint. I'd really like it if you could elaborate so I understand what you mean.

Instead of wires they used two camera cranes, one for the camera and one for the actors. If you are familiar with any early 70's sci-fi you would know how janky most weightless sfx look. This method made things looks smooth and, well, floaty.

seems like a incremental improvement on 2001

cool, where can I find more information about how to read film? I frequently feel like there are subtle things, not only technical details, that escape my understanding. I'd really like to see everything there is to see in a movie.

2001 didn't do much with weightlessness. Re-watch the space walk scenes and how painfully artificial much of it looks. The best shot of the kind in 2001 was where he was deactivating HAL, and that shat had a fraction of a difficulty of the Solaris scene (locked off shot, small space, only one moving object/person).

My favourite is The Sacrifice.

youtube.com/watch?v=YARi25_5Egw

Is the whole of Don Quixote as "philosophical" as the quote in this clip?

Lucky fuck, watch them all. Mirror is very difficult, though.

Communication. Obviously all art is far more nuanced, but all of art is about communication of what is human, whether it's feelings, information, or a combination between the two.

I write to avoid bad dreams.

No, but it can be interpreted as such. There are "dialogues" between Sancho and the Don that present alternating ideologies often masked with wit and irony, like when Sancho agrees with what Quixote is saying but thinks the exact opposite in his mind, but later on as with the wooden horse when being blindfolded, sensory perception propels him the realm of believing. The whole Cave of Montesinos can be said to be a descent and emergence from Purgatory, Sancho Panza's mayor business directly references King Solomon, the rights of the monarch vs the people, the moment when fantasy exceeds reality etc.

Read Aristotle's Poetics. Even if you don't agree with it it'll get you thinking