About to read pic related, what I am in for lads?

about to read pic related, what I am in for lads?

Other urls found in this thread:

nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/
youtu.be/2wv06DKLXmI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A [possibly intentionally] autistic man solves mysteries; drinks tea.

This is correct, but it's still good

Correct? Monk is a jew.

Read it you faggot. Do you trust yourself and your judgement so little that you have to ask Veeky Forums what to expect?

meta-conspiracy

Ooh, I am also about to read this, just gotta finish my current first. We'll have to check back n chat about it hehe

one of my favorite books—some unforgettable stuff in that book
Library of Babel by Borges is short, and free online, and I think it inspired Eco

>Jorge "Pinochet seems like a great guy" Luis "I don't read any newspapers" Borges

>obvious Sherlock Holmes "homage"
>[possibly intentionally]

I don’t know much about him
the blind monk in Rose has his name

oh, I got your post now
;)

enumerations

More scholastic philosophy than you were expecting.

A critique of Italian communism and autonomist Marxism in the late 1960s.

No, seriously.

A great book to connect you as a human to a long chain of humans, going way the fuck back.

Alright. I found the plot twist in the end retarded. I may just be a brainlet but the solution to the mystery sounded pretty dumb to me.

BRO Jesus didnt laugh but Aristotle did MOMS GONNA FREAK!

Did Eco liked Borges?
Expand this

The fight between the old monastic orders, the new franscicans, the heretical populists while all the while the peasant fuck on replicates the arguments between the PCI, QR/AO, PO/BR and the workers in the factories.

Eco is making the point about lost Marxist classics coming to light, and that the humour of Marx and Marxists provided a humanist undercutting to monolithic Soviet style party positions. And that no matter how many Marxists declared each other heretics, or factory formen turned party activists were excommunicated, that intellectual bickering wouldn't stop farting and fucking in the stables.

never mind the post modern preaching about it meaning anything

You pretty much totally missed the point of post modernism and Eco.

>Did Eco like Borges?
Almost certainly, yes.
Certainly, they both loved books and libraries.
Is there a better book on libraries than Name of the Rose, or Library of Babel?
If anyone knows, please tell me.

Thought the same when I reached the part of the maze .

A comfy, well-written, literary mystery novel with a lot of cool sequences and fun references, a lot of which you don't have to get to enjoy the experience (unlike Foucault's Pendulum). Definitely the best gateway drug into Eco.

If you enjoy it you should read Baudolino next, then maybe The Prague Cemetery. I won't say that Foucault's Pendulum is something you need to "study" for per se, but it is good to have prior knowledge before going in. It is basically a giant meta-conspiratorial wank with just about every conspiracy theory from the past 1,000 years thrown in. May or may not be his best work, depending on your point of view.

Opinions on other Eco? Got Foucault's Pendulum and The Prague Cemetery for cheap recently

>detective character
>possibly intentionally autistic
They're all autistic and it's on purpose.

Don’t trust this guyEco never meddled in politics, he was too smart for his time

Read his essays, he was one of the most clearheaded thinkers of the XXth century

His last book was totally about politics, though

Comfy historical detective novel with some middle ages western philosophy chunks here and there. I definitely recommend reading it, it's pretty fun

>Eco never meddled in politics
Wot

>foucault's Pendulum
any specific topics to be familiar with before tackling it?

which do you recommend?

Currently reading Baudolino as my first Eco and I recommend it to everyone. The first chapter may be the funniest thing I've ever read.

tru
nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/

>Eco never meddled in politics, he was too smart for his time
objectively false. like every post-WWII italian intellectual he was a pedantic crypto-communist

Other anons pretty much summed it up; it's a good book enjoy it.

>crypto-communist
ask me how I know you're from murica came from reddit and under 18

the patrician counterpart to dan brown

I'm from Italy, mongoloid

good read! thx wouldn't have found this on my own kek

Come fai a parlare di cripto-comunismo quando avevamo il più grande partito comunista fuori dall'URSS.
Vi preferisco a testa in giù sembrate più svegli

Westlake huh?

How is Eco's "On Ugliness"? Will it make me feel better about being ugly?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Eco is as middle brow as it gets.

>Middlebrow
>Constant references to medieval scholastics, semiotics, obscure books only known by a small percentage of philologist and the nature of truth and our search for it
Eco is the ultimate pleb filter

Probably not, it's on the concept of ugliness and its evolution through the ages

Did Jesus kek though?

>tfw you look like pic related but are a straight man(let)

Since cryptocommunist define that kind of person that support commie agenda without speaking out, you can be a cryptocommunist even in a country who had the largest commie party outside the URSS in Europe.

>Probably not, it's on the concept of ugliness and its evolution through the ages

oh

So being a cryptocommunist is believing in left values and/or antifascim without going around with a sicke and hammer necklace? gotcha

>communism
>left value
Dunno about what values you're talking about since even italian right wing party from that era like MSI share many of those "left" values.

yeah like when the MSI supported the burgoise against the farmers in Sicily. Or when they supported the DC. I guess they were also internationalist.

More on book themselves rather than libraries but check out The Club Dumas

Loved it!
Always wondered if there’s truth to bibliophiles having a special love for Dumas.
youtu.be/2wv06DKLXmI

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who thinks "The Island of the Day Before" was his best novel. "Baudolino" was also pretty good, but the deeper parts of it were always obscured by the gonzo medievalisms.

no i agree its about marxism but he tries to play it off in an almost tongue and cheek manner

recommend me eco essays and other good italian essays (ie by calvino) please

Read up on the Kabbalah and have a good grasp on medieval European history. Also, optionally, read up on the Italian partisan movement during WWII and maybe 1950s-70s Italian history. That's at least what I wish I had more closely examined before reading.

But honestly there is probably no way to get everything in the book unless you're a human encyclopedia. It's highly enjoyable even without knowing everything, but I had to look some things up at least a few times per chapter. But at a certain point, I think, it's best to accept that you won't get everything, and that's part of the message of the book. So don't get too intimidated or anything, it's just less accessible to the layperson than some of Eco's other works.

Agreed, Baudolino is a very comfy and very hilarious book. Be prepared for some extreme craziness at the end. I've been meaning to re-read it actually since I think I can understand a bit more of it than when I first read it.

>Eco never meddled in politics
are you retarded
>never meddled in politics, he was too smart
oh never mind you are

thank you very much. kind of ulysses mindset I guess then. I want to read it in italian, current reading calvino's le cosmicomiche, but I will wait a bit more since I need more 'italian-reading' maturity.

>A
>FUCKING
>DOOR

>obscure references constitute a pleb filter

As a historical and partly philosophical novel it is certainly a fun read, but the prose can be rigid at time. Also I found that Pynchon did a much better job at conveying the same major theme in The Crying Lot of 49.

Thank you, anons-ordered Crying and Baudolino
and thank you, op-this thread was a goldmine

Of course they do you dumb pleb

Can you explain a bit about the themes and Tcol49. Because I read both and didn't make the connection apparently.