Who else enjoys History books? I just finished pic related. Good shit

Who else enjoys History books? I just finished pic related. Good shit.

I do. I have a history of India book I need to get round to reading. My dad is a Byzantium fan, I might borrow some of his books about it at some point.

I've also got the Pinochet Files on the back burner, fascinating stuff but heavy going due to the amount of detail.

They fucked up my taste. Thanks to them I can't watch or read any historical fiction. As soon as I attempt one, I start noticing glaring historical errors and inconsistencies.

If you like this one, try The Fall of Rome: And the End of Civilization. It's prequel of sorts.

I listened to baurs ancient and medieval histories on audiobook. So comfy when in cooking or something menial like that to listen to history.

>History books by non-historians
I don't trust them.

what books does your dad have/recommend?

Bauer's pretty great.

>just finished pic rel
But can you tell me how many times a guy named Shalmaneser was beat off?

Muh nigga

Historical fiction is for plebs anyway

This chick is a superstitious Christian. The introduction to Ancient History was all about how facts, archeology, science were subpar and how myth is so great.

She then immediately starts defending the Noah flood myth and continues to defend the lack of evidence for the jewish exodus.

My favorite history book so far would be David McCullough's 1776, but behind that it would be Christopher Clark's Iron Kingdom. I have yet to finish it because I bought it digitally, so I'm waiting to get a physical copy when my money improves.

Thanks for the heads up. I figured Bauer was a jewish name and ignored it. I'll take a second look now.

So are you just not a fan of reality?

>really like history
>any time i end up reading a history book the over-abundance of character names/etc make my tiny brain hurt
help

Take notes and go slow. Reading history should just be for pleasure for most people so don't think it's a race

>Iron Kingdom and McCullough

ma nigga

After Tamerlane.
Rubicon.
The Horse the Wheel and Language.
Iron Kingdom.
From Dawn to Decadence.
1177 B.C: The Year Civilization Collapsed.
The Inherintence of Rome.
Cicero: The Life and Times of Rome's Greatest Politician
Revolutionary Characters.
The Collapse of Complex Societies.
Lost to the West.
Parallel Lives.
Vanished Kingdoms.
Empires of the Silk Road.
The Storm Before the Storm.
The World of Odysseus.

On phone, so this is all.

Im cumming to this book

Read
>The Rise of Western Christendom: Triumph & Diversity
Instead
And maybe.
>Empire's and Barbarians.

>tfw too pleb for dry historical texts

Just find a period you think you might enjoy, like French Revolution and Napoleon, or Ancient Greece. Then find thinkers of those times, then slowly build up from there. Histories are boring, but they're there to put events into a schema or context. I found Jean-Paul Marat and Rousseau the most interesting for exploring the French Revolution.

I'm not exactly looking for historical ficiton but I find it very hard to hold the information in my head without attaching it to some kind of image, he might be a bit of a meme but Dan Carlin has a gift for bringing his subjects to life and I love listening to his podcast because of it.

I enjoy mostly Military History ones.
Currently I'm reading about the Caucasian Wars. In addition I did get a book on the Italian Front of WW1 and a collection of memoirs from Stalingrad.

>Bauer
mein nignog. she's a hardcore christian hippie who homeschools her kids. you can really tell she loves homeschooling because the entire book is written that way — not an overarching narrative, but a series of anecdotes that are related by time and space. i still remember that story about the chinese general waltzing into the city and getting poisoned by his advisor.

from her, i've learned the oldest story is: a father has a kingdom, the son lets it dissolve. tragic.

Explaining freemasonry and secret societies behind it, or utterly looking the other way?

>1776
Good stuff. His John Adams biography is superb as well. Both should be required reading for that period in American history IMO.