I just finished reading this bad boy for the second time...

I just finished reading this bad boy for the second time, and would love to hear Veeky Forums's thoughts on AV and Macintyre in general.

Is ethics really just "lol virtues bro?"
Also is he right that whitey has to pay reparations for slavery?

I've been meaning to read that. Since I left school I've done nothing but read old Greek things. What did you think of AV?

Pic unrelated

I really enjoyed the work though I had a major problem with it. MacIntyre assumes that you have read his work leading up to this work and assumes you have access to university material. That in and of itself isn't bad but he never tells you when what he is saying is grounded in a previous work. Since this text is aimed as a proof of concept for virtue ethics in the modern world he doesn't need to provide a step by step walk though of everything but he never says when he is making a few assumptions to get the ball rolling or when there are strong arguments provided in different texts. Often I would finish a paragraph and think "that was an interesting opinion" and move on.
That asides I did really enjoy the book. I've been a virtue ethics convert for a few years before I read it so for the most part I didn't need very much convincing for what he was mostly saying.

I imagined AV to be like a slasher movie with MacIntyre to be the killer with other thinkers and disciplines being the victims. I love how he can set up a philosopher like Kierkegaard and demolish him in two pages. Also when he compared Nietzsche to Kamehameha the Great I broke hard.

>compared Nietzsche to Kamehameha the Great

Can I get that basic gestalt?

"Hence perhaps
the relatively easy, although to some contemporary observers astonishing,
victory of Kamehameha II over the taboos (and the creation thereby of
a moral vacuum in which the banalities of the New England Protestant
missionaries were received all too quickly)."

"And now the question inexorably arises to reinforce my own earlier
argument: why should we think about real analytical moral philosophers
such as Moore, Ross, Prichard , Stevenson, Hare and the rest in any different
way from that in which we were thinking just now about their imaginary
Polynesian counterpans? Why should we think about our modern
uses of good, right and obligatory in any different way from that in which
we think about late eighteenth-century Polynesian uses of taboo? And why
should we not think of Nietzsche as the Kamehameha II of the European
tradition?"

what university material do I need to be able to access to access MacIntyre?

He's right to acknowledge contemporary moral realisms as a pile of horseshit, but Aristotle is not the way out. Error theory is the only metaethics for people with triple digit IQs, you can have social realities and politics without the third wheel of morality.

>error theory
>not non-cognitivist moral realism

I'm actually quite curious about how you spin that.

It was a joke but it would probably be something like schopenhauer or hume

I have some sympathy for Kantian-esque constructivisms which is probably as close as you get to non-propositional moral "truths", but I think all accounts either collapse into just regular "durr we have a ESP access to objective platonic moral facts" realism or just emotivism.

i think only moral intuitionists and some deontologists have that issue

anyways, do you think hypothetical imperatives can be true?

Sure, but the issue is that you can't have a non-question begging/objective reason for following any particular hypothetical.

>do you think hypothetical imperatives can be true?

They are self-evidently true, the question is what you mean by exist.

We use hypothetical imperatives all the time in everyday language, but are you asking if they are a feature of the objective world? Because they are obviously not.

>We use hypothetical imperatives all the time in everyday language, but are you asking if they are a feature of the objective world? Because they are obviously not.
Not a lot of people think that moral facts are natural ones...

even Kantian ethics is derived almost entirely from the concept of "rational agent"

>Not a lot of people think that moral facts are natural ones...

You'd be surprised. There are plenty of moral naturalists/realists around.

It's hard to say because Maccy boi never says if what parts of the book has supplementary material and what that material is. It's just assumed you have read most of his stuff and have access to it for reference.

realism isnt necessary naturalist

just like mathematical realism is strong but i dont think mathematical naturalism is a thing

Macintyre bases his whole position on a Thomistic teleology, so its nonsense.

Also he is a Marxist apologist.

its a taboo

>also he's a marxist apologist
Petersonian neonazi trump kin detected

> Macintyre is Thomist in After Virtue

Nope. Flat out wrong and obvious you didn't read it.

> Marxist apologist

And about the last section in After Virtue where he demolishes Marx? Oh, right, you didn't fucking read it.

Dear white people: slavery and colonialism are your fault. Yes YOURS