Do any of you all discuss Literature outside of the internet?

Do any of you all discuss Literature outside of the internet?

Literature used to be such a social activity for me but ever since I've left college, I haven't found a single person in my new town or place of work that wants to discuss books. I'm not even talking about the fact that no one reads the same things as me, it just seems like people don't read anymore.

How do I find a good Literature Club to join up with outside of returning to school?

i have one friend with whom i talk books. even though we often read distinct material we still have interesting conversations about the concepts and characters we come across.

No that's why I'm here

there was a documentary about New York in the Fifties, and people like us went to coffee houses and talked about characters as if they were real
people
Robert Redford was one of the people interviewed, and they all seemed so nice, except for Norman Mailer
one book they talked about was Catcher in the Rye

i don't have any friends friends and I landed a soulless programming job, so the answer is nope.

I pay $40 bucks a year to be part of a lit club in my town. We meet once a month at a buffet place and hear local profs and writers talk about big brain nigga shit.

My gf and friends dont even like discussing politics.

I have a teacher who I sometimes chat for a minute about literature and philosophy, and I talk with the librarian sometimes and the clerk who sells the books on the street.
But not much else.

>B-before we started dating, I tried to make a tulpa of you

i belong to a Veeky Forums club. it's just me and a bunch of incredibly cute girls, one of whom is my childhood friend.

Yeah, I would watch out for her if I were you

why? she's a pretty normal girl, we hang out all the time

I go to a stem school where nobody reads anything
Veeky Forums is the only place where I can talk about books I like and not sound like a cunt
One of my best friends sent me a free copy of the new Dan Brown novel on audiobook and wants me to read along with her but I don't know how to tell her I really don't want to do that even though it was so thoughtful

Did they come to the conclusion that holden was an edgy faggot that deserves to be shot for being insufferable?

>mfw there literally isn't a literature club at my college
no I'm not going to start one you fags, I'm too busy

>pay $40

Then you never were going to join one, you're too busy, fag.

It was the book they talked about the most, dunno their conclusion

I regularly talk about literature while getting drunk with my roommate. Sometimes we fuck. We're both guys.

@10239756
pasta
fuck off and die

Dave?

Redford sells a Catcher t-shirt at his Sundance website, and says he loved it and Holden is like Timothy Hutton in Ordinary People, so New York coffee houses in the 50s probably liked Catcher.
I only care about autists, but if I could have gotten rid of Norman Mailer in the first act (Mack the Knife!), I wouldn’t mind sipping coffee and listening politely to those New York liberals in the 50s.

that's big dave to you

John???

its mainly so we can pay for the guest speakers gas and food if they drive a few hundred miles to get to my meme town

Oh, is that what the Leader tells ya?

I'm sure it costs a fortune to get Ms. Nobody from Bumfuckistan to come and talk to y'all.

By the way, I have a friend I want you to meet, a Nigerian prince in real need of some help.

You posted this before.

bro its $3.3 a month to pay for my litfag hobbies. I live right next to the restaurant and i prefer going there to hear people talk rather than driving to the university 8 miles away. Sometimes i get lonely and i want to talk to about irl about stuff and not just anons on Veeky Forums

i met this really cute girl at my schools literature club a while back. she was really the reason why i joined in the first place... well that, and my neighbor pretty much tricked me into becoming a member.
she even bought me a copy of the book she was reading but we just ended up sitting close to each other and reading from the same copy.
not too long after i joined my friend hung herself and things started going downhill from there. my cutie reading companion eventually told me she was in love with me and wanted me to be her lover, of course i said yes. but then she committed suicide as well, stabbed herself right in front of me.

now i just hang out on Veeky Forums.

Go to bed, Haruki

You're so busy that you're here shit posting?

Nah. I kind of want to, but I'm so unaccustomed to discussing art, or even my opinions in general, that I can't really say anything besides "yeah it's really good, I like it a lot." English major here, by the way.

Anyway, try zeemaps or some other meet up site?

Holden wasnt even edgy chill

CARL?!

As a Veeky Forumser passing thru our group talks about books alot. Most of it is fantasy and science fiction. As a historical wargamer the bulk of our discussion is on history books.

For finding a group look around the internet for any groups in your area. If you can't find any then be proactive and start one, your local library at lest should have a metting room available for a location for free or at least low cost.

I teach high school English and a couple of college lit courses at night so yes

would you prefer to be a full time college teacher? Are the classes satisfying general ed requirements or is it only english fags who take them

How degrading

how can i sleep without my sweet yuri?

Is it odd that I find myself always either way above or way below people's reading level?

Everyone I talk to either doesn't read or reads shit way more complex and sophisticated than I do.

sounds like you're s pseud

everyone is a pseud

True, but there are varying degrees of pseudom

Why the fuck are you all even here, it's obvious you don't read.

this. though if I do get the chance I usually regurgitate some Bloomian anachronism I've memorized to make myself seem erudite but in an almost backward way. as if I am some old reactionary you must respect even though you find yourself repulsed

how would you know?

I wouldn't know how to talk about books if I did have somebody. I have a few pet theories for some of my favorite books but for the most part there's not a lot to say. I don't read a lot of fiction anyways.

I’m in the army, which means we all have nothing to do but sit around and read for half the day. There was a lengthy conversation the other day about As I Lay Dying which was nice. Plus I have a few people with masters in English in my platoon, so on the whole it’s pretty Veeky Forums.

Officers are pseud scum though.

If they're really Masters, they're Online Masters, which is to say they're pseuds

No. I dont know anyone who has read a book in the past ten years besides my wife and she only reads garbage.
I mention it to people i work with sometimes and they usually tell me they hate reading. Though i have limited contact with people outside my field (construction management). They seem to be more enthused with sports, hunting and tv shows. So i watch sports to create common ground and conversation topics. Tv shows are terrible.

You know people who are enlisted with an M.A.?

If anything that sounds like a great deal to me. Keep doing it user.

Who does? People who like discussing politics are exhausting at best.

A lot are actually from before they get in, I even knew two dudes who had PHDs in polysci when I went through training.

Most people are just doing it for more college money or so they can pas their resume by putting intel on it. But officers are usually just middling beauracrats from no name state schools that check a bunch of blocks all day long.

I am thinking about getting a masters in counseling and going into the army

>I'm thinking of getting a masters for a high-paying job then going to work for a low-paying employer

I'm not sure you're smart enough for a Masters, young lady

my dad was in the navy and I would like to serve in the military before i get too old. Also i would get veterans gibs

The military is the complete opposite of a "Who is yo daddy" corporation

The military is COMPLETELY "who is yo daddy, private?"

jah. ich studiere music history in a small graduate program, and for various reasons the field tends to attract people who like books. of course, we all have to read enough shit for school that there's precious little time for fiction :(

Lamo, fucking greek, why do you even post here?

>Greek

Pls leave

Start with the Greeks.

>Start with the Pedophiles

You'll be the next to go as soon as we get rid of the Nazis

wtf! this guy knows how to use "whom"

I think the last time I had a one-to-one conversation with someone about a book was high school

And I say this as a post-college graduate

Fuck, why has literature become such a dead-end hobby?

>hobbies' primariy value is in socializing it brings
neck you're self pseud