I'm looking to get into metaphysics can anyone recommend a sort of crash course curriculum i.e...

I'm looking to get into metaphysics can anyone recommend a sort of crash course curriculum i.e. a list of books that'll give me the whole story?
I've heard that Marx's metaphysics influenced his political philosophy I struggle to see how the two even have a relationship, and that woke me up to how behind the curve I am on that branch.

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/metaphysics/
youtube.com/watch?v=ceM8GITkKxg
amazon.com/dp/0253349656/ref=pd_luc_rh_top_sim_04_01_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
broadviewpress.com/product/the-broadview-anthology-of-social-and-political-thought/#tab-description
studiesincomparativereligion.com/public/articles/Oriental_Metaphysics-by_Rene_Guenon.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Cogito ergo sum.
That's all.

Atlas of Reality

Even though I'm that does look interesting.

unironically the history of philosophy. You'll see the irony when you get to Heidegger

Or Wittgenstein.

marx being the arch materialist that he is, thought that humans were only concerned with material things. Chief among them being money and economic goods.

Combine this with Hegelianism and you get the basis for his philosophy

I'll check this out, thanks

Is this a textbook or a funny way of saying "start with the Greeks"?

I understand that but what's it got to do with metaphysics?

holy shit literally start with the greeks

you are trying to get into hegelian dialectics before the greeks point and laugh my fellows

Ugh fuck that's so tedious there's enough content in Classicism to fill up a lifetime of study

metaphysics is like questioning whether things like existence (being something non-material or quite hard to define), God or reality (considering how hard to grasp it is) are real or what's their inherent nature.

Marx's answer to it is that we are material beings that care first and foremost about physical things (like said), so he kinda broke away from the mainstream thought and side-stepped the issue sorta. You don't have to agree with him though, I don't personally.

Things (in a VERY broad way) goes along these lines:
>greeks start metaphysics as of the central topics about philosophy, Plato and Socrates being the juggernauts they are, touch deeply about the topic
>church writers deepen the link between God and metaphysics, Aquinas and Agustine are quite important
>rationalists/modern thinkers start to develop more refined arguments about metaphysics and get even deeper about it, like what is reality? Kant, Descartes, Hume, Locke and Hegel are the most important.
>some XIX century thinkers broke away from metaphysics, each on it's own way. Marx and Nietzsche (I think he goes against the Kantian notions of the noumenal world) are interesting when it comes to it
>XX century writers continue to develop the implications of denying metaphysics, Heidegger is interesting about his view on being/existence (not really familiar with him), meanwhile Wittgenstein postulates that languages are systems that can't make affirmations that are outside it's realm, so making philosophy/discussing metaphysics is a dead end

I mean, it's not like anyone knows anything for certain on metaphysics, but some of the smartests minds in the world have tried to tackle it. It's hard and probably you won't get any definitive knowledge that can stand the test of time, but it's interesting to understand the debates.
Hopefully someone can be more specific or note my mistakes since I haven't formally studied philosophy.

You’re missing late XX philosophy.
plato.stanford.edu/entries/metaphysics/

Hegel: History is a logical process pushed forward by the dialectic of ideas in conflict with one another.
Marx: History is a logical process pushed forward by the dialectic of material modes of production in conflict with one another.

To really grasp the dialectic you need to read Hegel, and to read Hegel you need to read pretty much everything else. Honestly this video helped a lot when I first started going back from Marx to Hegel youtube.com/watch?v=ceM8GITkKxg

>mfw metaphysics.

>and to read Hegel you need to read pretty much everything else
Is this statement in regards to debates on metaphysics or does it go for epistemology, mathematics, ethics, etc. as well?

Side question: How the Hell do you people have time to study so much? "Start with the Greeks" is so baffling just because the volume of work to go through between then and now is absolutely staggering
Is there a system? Do you read digests/abstracts? Do you focus on one major work or field for each thinker? Help a brother out here

If you’re in uni then just sign up for some history of philosophy classes. If not read SEP and IEP and wikipedia and secondary sources.

Hegel likes to drop people's names, and if you haven't read that thinker it makes it more difficult to get what he means by it. Hegel is top tier difficulty in philosophy, partly for this reason, but mostly for his obtuse writing. Reading "everything else" is obviously a bit of a hyperbole, but he should be approached after you have a decent grasp on the more foundational philosophers.

Personally I took 4.5 years of philosophy at university. It wasn't a great uni but the philosophy department was amazing. You have to think of this as a lifelong process, not a goal to achieve. I've still got a list of books I need to read that's longer than it was when I started.

Also, a lot of the people on here just posture. There are very few who have actually read and understand the texts they meme about on here. You're on the right path user. Godspeed.

Dianetics: the modern science of mental health by L Ron Hubbard

amazon.com/dp/0253349656/ref=pd_luc_rh_top_sim_04_01_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Start here

Also textbooks like these
broadviewpress.com/product/the-broadview-anthology-of-social-and-political-thought/#tab-description
can be great to at least give you a general sense of the history of philosophy. This is a collection of social and political writings from philosophers from Plato to Nietzsche. Each excerpt has a short introduction about who the philosopher was and what he about. You wont know the philosophers inside and out, but you get your feet wet and have a real sense of what ideas came from where.

This:
studiesincomparativereligion.com/public/articles/Oriental_Metaphysics-by_Rene_Guenon.aspx