I'm a Christian. Should I read Zizek?

I'm a Christian. Should I read Zizek?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AXVEnxtZe_w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Only if you're prepared to not be a christian after

Yes.

If your intelligent his writings will not impact your life at all.

>I'm a christian

>Should I read relevant or modern authors who have different philosophical beliefs?
Why is this even a question?

If you are avoiding things because christianity you shouldn't call yourself christian. Gather some courage and convinction and then reevaluate your beliefs.

You should read the sublime object of ideology in any case if only for the way he explains his ideas. He firstly states his idea and then trough metafor simultanously developes and explains it. Even if you are not familiar with the thinkers he builds upon, reading a chapter twice allows you to understand what he is talking about.

Nah, you should keep reading semitic fanfiction.

I'm a Fascist should I read Zizek?

>metafor

yep

he wrote smth about c.s.lewis and chesterton

check it

It was late and my language is mostly phonetic

He is a fascist too

His work on Christianity is called The Puppet and the Dwarf. If you are easily offended I wouldn't recommend it, but if you can get past Zizek's unfiltered satire he has a lot of interesting ideas. He's called himself a Christian Atheist before, and basically proposes that the New Testament should be read as an atheist text.

He also has a book with John Millibank, the Monstrosity of Christ, in which he argues for christianism being the inauguration of atheism, which I quite liked (though I'll admit I kinda dropped Millibank's response 3/4s in and only read his rejoinder.

If you repeat enough times that a man is an intellectual, he will become one in the public eye

Zizek hides his theoretical power level these days. Read The Paralax View and uncuck yourself.

This desu.

>If your intelligent
Why are you even here, you two?

psued

Thanks for pointing out the most obvious flaw of democracy, that the masses will believe anything they hear and shouldn't be trusted in deciding on anything.

why you hate democrasy. are you the leftist or the nazi?

Not the person you replied to, but do you really think democracy has no flaws? Have you never read the Apology?

"Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time" - Churchill (for once)

Neither, user. I'm just stating a fact, people are retarded and can't decide on anything properly. A corrupt media or a smooth talker will always be able to sway the masses. What happens when A.I. is able to predict what the masses want to hear? The day that happens will be the final nail in the coffin. The word of a politician will be even less trustworthy, they will always know what to say.

dunno ya wanna go ahead

what to do?

Run and hide! Live in the woods or on a sailboat.

this is not a fucking option

It's worked this far, just don't worry about it desu
also unironically this youtube.com/watch?v=AXVEnxtZe_w

>It's worked this far
(Assuming you're a burger like me)
How so? Our country is bankrupt, constantly at war, no manufacturing jobs, crippling debt for students, shitty healthcare, social security will be gone soon, country is divided on frivolous splinter issues, high divorce rate, opiate epidemic, worlds largest incarceration rate, racism on all sides, mindless consumerism. America is going to explode. It's like saying "Oh, yeah, the car sprays oil and smokes, but it worked thus far." The car is fucked, user.

Read Gustavo Bueno. It's the best philosophy you can take if you want to survive reality.

not murican

Zizek is left wing peterson

Anybody else going to Pittsburgh, NYU, or Cambridge to see Zizek speak this coming week?

I don't trust the government either though.
So what the fuck do I do?

Zizek is yet anoher meme fuck for the faggot pseuds on Veeky Forums to fawn over becauseread him being talked about in a middlebrow newspaper.

If you practice a flavour of Christianity that is still grounded in a metaphysic, like Orthodoxy, Coptic or Trad Catholicism you probably won't get a whole lot from his writings. If you're some sort of Western heretic you may be swayed by his insights.

Read it, then read more. A faith untested is a faith untrue. Only then can you see . . .

yeah

lold

No and it has nothing to do with you being a christian, ŽiŽek is just a waste of your time.

his thoughts about fundamentalism seem to me very interesting

DUDE fundamentalims BRO

CUTE!!!

want more?

He's hack.

Im going to the one at carnegie

>only reading authors who will reinforce or be compatible with your current beliefs

Is there anything more pleb?

>Is there anything more pleb?
Reading Zizek.