What am I in for?

What am I in for?
Can you guys recommend philosophical books on morality?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v0k24fAvNOs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Skip morality and go straight to the important questions, try Culture of Critique by Kevin McDonald

Natural Right and History by Leo Strauss

Aristotle - Ethics
Kant - Groundwork to the Metaphysics of Morals, Critique of Practical Reason
Hume - An Inquiry Concerning the Principles of Morals
Mill - Utilitarianism
Sidgwick - The Methods of Ethics
Nietzsche -Beyond Good and Evil, The Genealogy of Morals
Moore - Principia Ethica
Amscombe - Modern Moral Philosophy
Rawls - A Theory of Justice
Parfit - Reasons and Persons

A fine work. Masterful.

good point

Why skip morality?

Don't, he's memeing.

Bumping

Your bumping has been rewarded with a gift.

>Culture of Critique without morality
Read both.

Da jooooooooos dun it!

This, but sans retardedness.

Just start with The genealogy of morals, it's really good and not too long

ARISTOTLE NIETZSCHE KIERKEGAARD MACINTYRE

youtube.com/watch?v=v0k24fAvNOs

Top notch.

Unironically

>Dude slavery LMAO.

You gotta read The Republic as well.

It's funny the "morality" of Scientology actually accidentally managed to create a somewhat coherent moral worldview in the Darwinian Naturalist framework. The entirety of Hubbard's morality boils down to survival and trying to increase your odds of survival. Everything that is good aids survival, everything that is bad reduces survivability. But that manifests in a narcissistic cultish way of constantly one uping the morons who are willing to buy into your moronic cult. It's like Capitalism and individualism the religion.

are you abducted

It can be a bit of a dry read but there's a lot of good data to be found.

top kek

underrated post
add Jonas's "The Imperative of Responsibility" after you're done with those

if you want to simplify the list go Aristotle, Kant, Hume, Mills and then read whichever of the last 6 you're interested in. The Aristotle and Mills are easy. Kant and Hume might give you a hard time depending if you've read them before. Those 4 will lay out the basic framework of ethical systems leaving out some notable exceptions like ethical egoism, Confucian role ethics, and feminist care ethics, which you can find readings about easily.

After you've done all the background work, then you'll have some fun while reading philosophers tear all of that down saying that it is useless garbage while simultaneously presenting myopic and esoteric solutions.

How's the book posted in OP?
The nicomachean ethics.

essential

Not OP, what's it about and how would you recommend it?
Looking for a new book to buy.

For some modern reading I'd recommend The Crooked Timber of Humanity by Isaiah Berlin.

Not that guy but it's about how to achieve eudaimonia ("human flourishing") by living a virtuous life, with virtue as the mean between two vices.

It has a mostly practical focus and from what I understand a lot of stuff that Aristotle builds on (i.e. teleology) is argued for in more abstract sense in other books, so the NE is relatively easy reading.

I've only read the first 5 books so far but I would recommend it anyways, I'm really liking it so far. Also, if you need clarification on some of the subtler arguments or technical terms (i.e "hexis," check out Sadler's lectures on the NE).

Thanks for the insightful reply man, have a good day.

No problem. I recommend Joe Sach's translation, by the way.

Lost

Bump

The Bible, obviously.