How do I build an audience before publishing a book?

How do I build an audience before publishing a book?

social media

by posting frog pictures on Veeky Forums's literature board

Write shorter texts, articles, blogs, wherever, speak in public, and otherwise sell yourself and your ideas by means other than full length books.

Now you understand one of the many reasons genre fiction is economically viable: the target audience is already there and writers are often ascended fanboys and fangirls from its ranks.

I recommend writing first
The audience will find you
also
Don't waste your time with Goodreads
They haaaaate authors who promote

on a serious note, the people i know who have been published and reviewed in newspapers and shit started out by writing small stuff, getting into smaller literature circles, writing for magazines, anthologies, doing readings. they've been productive both in writing and in networking.

if you're a random person who's never been published and you're sitting at home working on your "masterpiece debut" you're probably fucked. just keep writing.

>create content
>add value

what about wattpad?

Make lots--like thousands--of goodreads reviews.

Don't know it, personally.

To what end?

You gotta be a shameless self-promoting whore basically and write your ass off hoping to God you don't just fall into the same bottomless pit of poverty and mediocrity that multitudes of better writers before are left in purgatory.

Or get really fucking lucky.

Be witty and really likeable to tumblr and reddit people, then write a YA fantasy novel and gets lots of cache.

I'd sooner circumcise myself, thank you kindly.
But I do see your point.

>Or get really fucking lucky.
Well you can't win if you don't play, and if you aren't playing, you won't have an audience.

Start a cult

You could also do the opposite, like (((Milo)), be controversial and get infamous, write a good book (fiction), and blow your "haters" away. Those whom once now hated thee loves thee.

Working on it. They are buying books, but not enough to fully support my lifestyle.

Start a kind-of colony and force them to work for you. If you get tired of it you can just force them to drink the kool-aid.

>merchandising

Judicious use of a blog (get some for dummy book about wordpress); and then some other crap social media to annoy people.

But yeah what that user said about content and value.

Network bro, build your social capital by associating with people who you admire and who inspire you - visit all the right places, hit up the hip galleries and book launches in your area, just be yourself and mingle. You'll build that capital in no time.

Publish a book.

Does this work for Gentiles?

yes, but it's a hard slog and involves skills other than the writerly ones: people skills and networking, persistence, interwebz savvy, and some tech know-how, and all that.

sex tape with black guy

So is narrative poetry and building up Instagram and a blog a good idea?

get your poetry into a magazine. no one's going to notice you on social media.

These.
Maybe start a podcast or youtube channel too. Discuss literature and related topics.

Knowing how to sell yourself is the difference between winners and losers in just about everything. It's never been about talent.

talent is also a stupid thing to attribute anything to. no one falls ass backwards into greatness, there's always a lot of work behind it.

write fanfic and build a fanbase

You can always write a manuscript ready for publishing, then do something crazy that will get mass coverage to get yourself killed
>searching though deadanon's things
>user's death getitng huge media converage
>find unpublished works by user
>manuscript gets published
are you afraid of death user?

There's plenty of videos on how to get an audience on amazon/ebooks. If you can't find them, it shows you'll never get published!

Kill yourself.

Worked for DFW and Thoreau

This would actually work. What an incredible catch 22.

Short stories, essays, little studies and self promotion. In the olden days, very famous authors published chapters in magazines, or a smaller short story version, then latter on would collect then up and publish for real.

Do that but with social media. Try to get some sort of followers first, maybe reviews or writing tips?

That sort of worked in opposite for the unibomber. When they published his manifesto people took it quite seriously, but after they caught him, people distanced themselfs from it and claim it's a crazy rant.

So, keep that in mind when you try to get infamous to get your teen light novel published.

Recently i watched an interview with Henry Rollins, he made a book company by first giving out hand written self stapled copies of his work for a few bucks.

yeah, like our female Eurasian friend with the filthy fingernails.

but milo didn't write a good book

was that before he was in one of the biggest hardcore bands ever?

Dammit, Occam, we are looking for every possible excuse not to, here.

Or have a crazy obsessed mother, a la Confederate of Dunces.

>after they caught him,
If it wasn't for those meddling kids!
Or brother, in his case.

Not that guy, but I think it was during was ascent.
Get In the Van was about some very hungry and lean days early in the hardcore scene.

Refuse to call a studeb xer and start a patreon

Go streaking every day and hand out autographed selfies to random strangers. They'll put a free poster about you up at the post office.

Speaking as a Jew I would say it's harder if you don't have a strong network and sense of community. I have nothing against the goyim but I would always help a Jew over a goy and the same is true for 99% of all other Jews. Can a goy say the same? No.

Who?