>"I'm sorry to hear that."

Does that sound right? What can I replace "I'm sorry to hear that with?"

¡Qué pena!

>That's hot. Can I have the body?

>"Another one bites the dust, so it seems."

>"I know."

>"My dog died."
>"Sonofabitch."

It's the correct usage. You could have also said, "I'm sorry that happened." Which, is sometimes used by people that have already heard about the event.

Would be better you said "My dog too, I worry about this and I feel your grief" (no, I not eban... mad)

So, I read this weird comment on a manga website, and I was wondering if anybody could breakdown for me the tense structure and shifts in it. As I'm having a hard time understanding it!

>"The two most singularly hated fan bases of Manga just short of Chuunibyou Shounen fanboys, come together into an unholy unity of normalcy. Forming the standard pair of functioning sexes that are required to propagate the human condition. Watch as these debased young people learn that homosexuality is the mark of the devil and convert to Catholicism while worshiping their new lord and savior, Donald J. Trump."

"My dog died."
>"I'm happy to hear that !!!"

Aujourd'hui mon chien est mort. Ou peut être hier. Je ne sais pas.

"So it goes."
t. Hack.

>pa. is it my dog died? or my dog is dead?
>what.
>you can say he died or he is dead?
>Ye.
>But if he is dead would he not died?
>The man spat and said the dead are not for this world or from it. We are died when not dead but dead once we've died. Died then dead and dead until died.
>He wiped his chin and spat

>My dog died.
>Huh
>I said my dog died.
>I still won't sleep with you, you know.
>Just like my Dog, anymore.

She started crying, maybe I had said something wrong. But it was my Dog who died.

"Rofl"

That's actually fucking hilarious.

"Sorry for your loss"
"That sucks"
"Oh no, are you okay?"

Kek

"I'm so sorry, you must be devastated"
"I'm sorry, that must be hard on you"

If they're sharing an upsetting event with me, I would try to direct it back to how it makes them feel to give them the chance to vent some emotion.

>in the manga community, the most hated are chuunibyou shounen fanboys
>there are two fan bases that are almost as hated, but not quite, as chuunibyou shounen fanboys

>these two bases, perverse as they are, unite/overlap
(in what, a new manga or something?)
>the effect is surprisingly normal, in a way that suggest traditionalism
>one of them is represented by a boy, the other by a girl
the rest is self-explanatory

>I wish you hadn't told me

To hear of which I am sorry

came here to make this reference

>"Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun: I saw the tears of the oppressed— and they have no comforter; power was on the side of their oppressors— and they have no comforter. And I declared that the dead, who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive. But better than both is the one who has never been born, who has not seen the evil that is done under the sun."

No, I was more curious if it is in present tense, past tense, and if it shifted at any point. I'm trying to identify the simple verb tense in every sentence.

>What can I replace "I'm sorry to hear that with?"
"Yeah? Well man up, faggot."

underrato

I came to post this.

Whenever someone tells me someone dear to them has passed, I ask them after a few exchanges to share a happy memory.
>"My husband passed away suddenly last year."
>"I'm sorry that happened."
>"Yeah... it's okay..."
>"It's difficult to recover from such a thing. What are some nice things about them that you can remember?"
"~Shares an anecdote~"
It's a good way to put a positive shift on the awkward conversation.

>My dog died
>Are you certain your dog has passed away? If you have any doubt, it may be best to take your dog to the nearest open veterinarian for help. You can also try to feel your dog's heartbeat to determine if cardiac arrest has occurred. You may wish to try to perform CPR or administer another type of first aid if you think your dog may still be alive. If you are certain that your dog has passed away, it may still be easiest for you to take your dog's body to the veterinarian for assistance.

No it's not. I don't wanna be mean, but that seems even crueler.

There's nothing wrong with that

That's great

>you too

>My dog died
>Cool, give me the corpse so I can tear it apart with my big black cock
ftfy OP.

can white women even compete

That's ruff

I'm literally lolling out loud

"Nietzsche said something very similar"

nice

>"My dog died."
>"I'm sorry to hear that."
>...
>"Does that sound right?"
>"Does what sound right?"
>"I'm sorry to hear that, does that sound right? It sounds awkward doesn't it."
>"David it sounded fin--"
>"I should've said something else shouldn't I?"

>"The two most singularly hated fan bases of Manga just short of Chuunibyou Shounen fanboys, come together into an unholy unity of normalcy.
come: simple present
[hated: past participle (acting here as an adjective)]

>Forming the standard pair of functioning sexes that are required to propagate the human condition.
(fragment, one of the main verbs is in the previous sentence)
forming: present continuous tense
are (helping verb, simple present) required (past participle): passive voice, present tense

>Watch as these debased young people learn that homosexuality is the mark of the devil and convert to Catholicism while worshiping their new lord and savior, Donald J. Trump."
watch: simple present (command)
learn: simple present
is: simple present
convert: simple present
worshiping: present continuous

[Awkward pause]
"So....what else is new?"

lol

Well deserved dubs

Oh. that's not good.
I know, not very edgy but logically...

How about:

"My dog died.
- We've no time for that now, Thompson. Thirty rebel units have infiltrated the city walls, and, if we don't act quickly, they'll be sure to reach the command centre by midday. To your control station at once!"

>my dog died
>fuck that sucks bro

Cæsar once, seeing some wealthy strangers at Rome, carrying up and down with them in their arms and bosoms young puppy-dogs and monkeys, embracing and making much of them, took occasion not unnaturally to ask whether the women in their country were not used to bear children; by that prince-like reprimand gravely reflecting upon persons who spend and lavish upon brute beasts that affection and kindness which nature has implanted in us to be bestowed on those of our own kind. With like reason may we blame those who misuse that love of inquiry and observation which nature has implanted in our souls, by expending it on objects unworthy of the attention either of their eyes or their ears, while they disregard such as are excellent in themselves, and would do them good

Why are you supposed to apologize when someone else experiences hardship completely unrelated to you? It doesn't make sense, if you're apologizing that they're sad, you have nothing to apologize for because you didn't cause the sadness, and if you're "sorry to hear it", why would hearing about that make you sorrowful?
t. autism

best in thread. also, nice subtle DFW meme.