Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

Just received this book as a birthday present. I'm about 50 pages in and it's pretty interesting. Basically a pop anthropology book. I haven't read anything I didn't already know about the Paleolithic era but somehow it's holding my attention.

Anyone else read it? What did you think?
Personally, it blows my mind to imagine sharing the earth with 5 other species of the Homo genus at once, as was the case 100,000 years ago.

>Personally, it blows my mind to imagine sharing the earth with 5 other species of the Homo

Yeah earth used to be a real sausage fest amirite?

Real question tho: Do you know if the book supposed to go all the way through time up to today, or does it just focus on prehistory?

I have read "Neanderthals: The Humans Who Went Extinct", and found it to be pretty well-written and informative. Such an interesting period of history; I wish we knew even more about it.

It actually doesn't focus too long on prehistory at all. It's mostly about modern humans, empire, and industry. The four parts of the book are- Cognitive Revolution, Agricultural Revolution, Unification of Humankind, and the Scientific Revolution.

I did a presentation on Homo floresiensis last year for my archaeology 101 class. They were humans who existed at the same time as Sapiens/Erectus/Neanderthals but only on a tiny island in Indonesia. They grew to only 3 and a half feet tall and hunted miniature elephants with sophisticated stone tools.

I'm confident we'll uncover at least a couple more Homo species in my lifetime. Thrilling stuff.

Neanderthals were much cooler than we give them credit for. They treated their wounded and had some form of medicine. They just couldn't think in abstracts like we do and were just too easy to outsmart for that reason. I want to check out that book.

What do you guys think about when he defends gender ideology arguing that pic related would be considered faggot nowadays and back in the day was alpha-male clothing?

>They were humans who existed at the same time as Sapiens/Erectus/Neanderthals but only on a tiny island in Indonesia. They grew to only 3 and a half feet tall and hunted miniature elephants with sophisticated stone tools.

And people say scientists have no imagination.

>They just couldn't think in abstracts like we do and were just too easy to outsmart for that reason.

"science"

You'd be hard-pressed to find an anthropologist who denies that gender is a social construct.

>it blows my mind to imagine sharing the earth with 5 other species of the Homo genus at once

>East Asian
>South Asian
>European
>Black African
>Capoid
>Native American
>Australian Aboriginal

this is a pleb book you should feel bad

Why is that?

Enjoy it while it lasts, the first four chapters are the best, and might indeed be categorized as 'mindblowing.' A lot of the book is highly conjectural, and while that's not such a bad thing when philosophizing about the man of 50.000 years ago, frankly because it's the best we can do, it becomes rather hurtful for his argument if he does the same for the man of 500 years ago.

I put on my skeptical glasses when he started talking about how the agricultural revolution was a mistake (I guess that was around page 80?). To me, it became less interesting from that point on.

>agricultural revolution was a mistake
Only thing he got right

WE WUZ SAPIENZ N SHIET

>Personally, it blows my mind to imagine sharing the earth with 5 other species of the Homo genus at once, as was the case 100,000 years ago.
You still do faggot.

>the agricultural revolution was a mistake

I forgot that people say this. Belongs in the pantheon of all time pseud-takes. Usually comes packaged with assertion that our mating habits used to be exactly like bonobos, and if only we would return to our natural bonobo-like sexual depravity, there would be no more war.

i liked it until it started talking about death, at which point it triggered my ongoing existential nausea and had me drinking myself to sleep to avoid that 4am sense of horrified sickness and panic

but it's a good book that you should definitely finish

We use to live as Gods, now we live like slaves.

Joke: Post-Modernism was a mistake
Broke: Industrial Revolution was a mistake
Woke: Agriculture was a mistake

semi- nomadic empire when

Joke: Agriculture was a mistake
Broke: Domestication was a mistake
Woke: Miscegenation was a mistake

>We use to live as Gods
>monkey sodomy is divine

Nice try, Satan.

>caring about the cladistic created by libtards in their academic tower

what a laff

>christcucks think that everybody was a subhuman caveman before (((christianity)))

I am sure that your ancestors were monkeys, mine were Gods

>implying miscegenation isnt what caused the agricultural revolution
>implying it cant be overcome with a proper spiritual order