Italian Literature

Besides Dante and Lampedusa, what are the greatests italian writers? Is italian literature on the same level as french/russian/german?

Other urls found in this thread:

imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2016/06/ostry.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

T A S S O
A
S
S
O

>That pic
Even our faggots are manlier than the average anglo.
That being said, I won't respond to your question.

"Manlier" doesn't mean much when u talking about whitebois. Lmao yous still beta sissies

>That being said, I won't respond to your question.
Why? I love Italy, I'm a Italyphile. Forgive me for my rude joke, will you, master?

petrarch and boccacio

Just in the XX century, naming some of my favourites

Giorgio Manganelli
Guido Morselli
Curzio Malaparte
Carlo Michaelstadter
Giovanni Testori
Alberto Savinio
Roberto Calasso

Bait but imagine being a nigger lmao no amount of memes could solve that

Could you talk a little about them and their style of writing? Would you also make comparisons between them and other famous writers so we could get the general idea behind their books?

Malaparte is great. Kaputt is one of my favorite books

Dante
Boccaccio
Petrarca
Ariosto
Boiardo
Tasso
Galilei
Alfieri
Goldoni
Parini
Alessandro Manzoni
Verdi (even though he didn't write his own librettos)
Verga
Leopardi
Pirandello
Pietro Aretino
Pascoli
Foscolo
Montale
Ungaretti
Saba
D'Annunzio
Quasimodo
Pirandello
Svevo
Calvino
Buzzati
Pasolini
Umberto Eco
Sacchetti

>Umberto Eco
>Calvino

Atheists. Into the trash it goes.

Why do I get a feeling I'm being baited. But

>Giorgio Manganelli
One of the greatest prose stylists ever born, an incomparable vocabulary coupled by a keen awareness of the mendacious nature of literature. I don't think he can be compared to anybody, really

>Guido Morselli
Writer of complex and entertaining speculative fiction, his books are short but acute and erudite

>Curzio Malaparte
Mostly a war reporter during the Fascist era, he was a keen connoisseur of human nature and a crafter of beautiful, poetic imagery

>Carlo Michaelstadter
Philosopher and aesthete, I'm not sure I'd be able to convey his significance in English

>Giovanni Testori
He rewrote some of mankind's greatest theatrical tragedies in an idiom based on Italian, Latin and French, giving them an anarchist bent, with excellent results

>Alberto Savinio
Actually the pseudonym of Giorgio The Chirico's brother, one of the great Italian surrealists of his time. His works are written in Italian, French, German and English, which is kind of infuriating at times

>Roberto Calasso
A very odd figure, the best way I cam describe him is by saying that his books are like is Burroughs were to write a history of the world with the help of an enormous, beautiful thesaurus

>Why do I get a feeling I'm being baited. But
What? Why? Just posting names is not enough to get a general idea of the writers, thanks for taking your time in writing a good answer.

I'm just a suspicious bastard. Hope to have been of help - Manganelli, Calasso and Malaparte I know for a fact have been translated into English, if you want to look them up. Cheers

I don't need translations, I'm learning italian, it's quite easy and a really pretty language.

Se ogni discorso muove da un presupposto, un postulato indimostrabile e indimostrando, in quello chiuso come embrione in tuorlo e tuorlo in ovo, sia, di quel che ora si inaugura, prenatale assioma il seguente: CHE L'UOMO HA NATURA DISCENDITIVA. Intendo e chioso: l'omo è agito da forza non umana, da voglia, o amore, o occulta intenzione, che si inlàtebra in muscolo e nerbo, che egli non sceglie, né intende; che egli disarma e disvuole, che gli instà, lo adopera, invade e governa; la quale abbia nome potestà o volontà discenditiva.

This is the incipit of Mamganelli's magnum opus, Hilarotragoedia. If you can handle it, you're already better off than most Italian speakers

The average italian can't read their own classics?

Not really a classic, it's more akin to postmodernism in the US - which leads me to the question, can the average American read Burroughs or Pynchon? Better yet, can they read them with ease, feeling satisfied, never having to look up any words or pause to reflect on a phrasal structure, or a slightly complex allegory?

There you have it.

I forgive you. Start with Leopardi.
madò

Bello eh?

Do you guys have problems with lefties/SJWs in Italy too?

That's a weird question. Not really, no - there are plenty of what an American would qualify as liberals, true, but they've always been somewhat shrewd in how they've conducted themselves politically, so you can't really "pin the blame" on them, if not rhetorically.

Also, Italy has always been the Heimat of revolutionary and intellectual traditions of leftism, rather than parliamentary ones, and since this is a literature board, after all, I recommend everybody to read Errico Malatesta's pamphlets on anarchism, along with Gramsci's writings, Sorel's On Violence (a Frenchman, but more appreciated in Italy than anywhere else), whatever autonomist zine you can get your hands on and, last but not least, At Daggers Drawn With The Existent, Its Defenders And Its False Critics.

It's more like:
>The average Italian is functionally illiterate
Despite this "Italian language" being a scholarly project going all the way back to Dante's De vulgari eloquentia, we began speaking it en masse, and for real, only shortly after the introduction of the television into our households.

Of course Italian literature does have its classics, but it did not have something like an inexpensive, pocket-sized King James New Testament to somehow standardize things for the common man between, say, Chaucer and Dante's times, and today. Or Shakespeare. Then there's the issue of Italians uniting under a single crown much later than a certain other kingdom, with no centralized education system until then, varying rates of literacy between regions, etc.

I'm very curious about how social media is going to affect this project.

È quello che chiamano "exit level" qui su Veeky Forums.

Italy had the biggest communist party on the west of the Berlin Wall. But what passes for the "left" in mainstream politics today is working really hard at abandoning the last remnants of it, in order to become the same neoliberal garbage you can get in the rest of Europe.

The reason our grievances are nowhere near yours is because the influence of the Catholic Church ultimately works as a sizable, allegedly politically "centrist" cultural filter for a lot of idiocies, so I will continue to regard your problems as a "non-Mediterranean phenomenon."

I think that, even watching only your own news and not ours, you should be able to figure out that bishops are orders of magnitude better at managing anything, compared to our sorry excuse for politicians.

>Italy has always been the Heimat of revolutionary and intellectual traditions of leftism
That's France, mate, all the evils of modern society were born in the french revolution and they keep on destroying western civilization. Russia, Poland, Japan and Italy are some of the countries that tries to fight against it. Their societies haven't been completely corrupted and they still uphold traditional values and morals. In Italy, for instance, has one of the highest Church Attendances in Europe. The USA is slowly falling for lefties.

>The reason our grievances are nowhere near yours is because the influence of the Catholic Church ultimately works as a sizable, allegedly politically "centrist" cultural filter for a lot of idiocies
Man, Italy really is the best country in the world. Beautiful people, everyone is still religious and respects the Church, extremely beautiful cities like Venice, Rome, Florence and Milan, beautiful language and it doesn't have shitty politics

>Beautiful cities like Venice
Mate I live there. Just got out on a train. It's not that beautiful, unless you're able mystify yourself with some kind of postcard-induced hallucinatory psichedelia. It's a smelly, small city cramped with tourists and obnoxious, hyperrealistic (something something Baudrillard) attractions. Don't glorify it. Don't come visit.

It's because you live there that you can't comprehend its beauty. I also don't like the city I live, but there are a lot of tourists here who says it's good. You don't know how lucky you are for living in Italy, and better yet, in Venice of all places. I bet almost every single man on earth would want to change places with you.

>all the evils of modern society were born in the french revolution
No, that's America.
>Russia, Poland, Japan and Italy are some of the countries that tries to fight against it.
Do you literally live in a fantasy world? How has Japan anything to do with western civilization? lmao
>Their societies haven't been completely corrupted and they still uphold traditional values and morals
Yes, the traditional values of nepotism, Mafia, corruption, having half of the youth unemployed and leeching on the State. The 100k+ Italians that leave the country every must be insane.

HI EXCUSE ME RECOMMEND ME ITALIAN ESSAYS PLEASE, THANKS

arrivederci

>Their societies haven't been completely corrupted and they still uphold traditional values and morals

Very true.

God bless Russia, the last bastion of traditional values.

>No, that's America.
France started it, America is continuing it.
>Do you literally live in a fantasy world? How has Japan anything to do with western civilization? lmao
You realize modern japanese society was hugely influenced by western civilization and culture, right? They are showing western countries that traditional values, which most western countries completely abandoned, are the most important thing in society.
>Yes, the traditional values of nepotism, Mafia, corruption, having half of the youth unemployed and leeching on the State. The 100k+ Italians that leave the country every must be insane.
You're talking only about the bad things on Italy, the country is still much better than other decadent ones like England, France, Netherlands and, in a lesser way, Germany.

Russia was under communists control for a really long time, it's impressive that the russians haven't lost their spirit after all that time like the french did after the revolution. Russia is still in the process of reverting all the shits the communists did.

the comedy alone is worth more than the entirety of French literature put together
it's pretty embarrassing

I'm sorry, but no, La Commedia, despite being a marvelous work, is not on the same level as Les Misèrables, Père Goriot, Madame Bovary or A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu.

>You're talking only about the bad things on Italy
>He thinks those things are minor
You literally live in a fantasy world. Who cares if half of the people can't find a job? At least they go to the Church!

senza offesa, ma ogni volta che leggo un post in italiano su Veeky Forums (qualsiasi post!) lo leggo con la voce di un ragazzo sulla ventina stronzo e con la barba. sempre la stessa intonazione, lo stesso "carattere". Quelli in inglese invece hanno "stili" diversi. E' perchè siamo tre italiani in tutto su questo sito? o è la lingua inglese più versatile?

It's much easier to solve an economical problem than a moral one. BTW, are you italian? If yes, why do you hate your country so much? You pretty much live in paradise compared to most other countries (even the 1st world ones).

yes, the so called "sessantottini" (boomers) and some millennials,like my ex gf, who now lives in britain (she was so pissed about brexit), dyed her hair pink and has had a lesbian experience

>Who cares if half of the people can't find a job? At least they go to the Church!
You know what? Our revolutionary options being this scarce, while reading your post I was thinking: we might as well tell politicians and corporations and mafiosi to go to hell, and become all deacons, as in an entire bloody country of deacons. You can still marry and have a secular profession if you want, and Pope Francis is serious about deaconesses.

Quattro con me. Saremo una decina in tutto su lit, gli altri lurkano v, tv e b; oppure vedono gli screen su reddit.

Anyway, adding Baricco to the list. His things are very short.

>It's much easier to solve an economical problem than a moral one.
What we have IS a moral problem, and it's deeply rooted in every aspect of our culture. Or do you think that corruption and nepotism are acceptable? And no, economical problems are not easy to solve.
>If yes, why do you hate your country so much?
I don't. I love my country. I wouldn't want to be born anywhere else. I hate how it has been reduced to a second world shithole by opportunists, demagogues and dumb ideologues.
>Ahi serva Italia, di dolore ostello,
nave sanza nocchiere in gran tempesta,
non donna di province, ma bordello!

objectively incorrect

Perché ci facciamo riconoscere, un po' apposta ed un po' inconsciamente, scegliendo lessico e costruzione della frase diversi da quello che combinerebbe Google Translate.

Poi di inglesi ce ne sono quanti ne vuoi: "English English", "Scottish English", "American English", "Canadian English", "Australian English"... lo parliamo in miliardi e non lavoriamo tutti per la BBC.

>not shitty politics
>very religious

my dude...

si ma io intendevo 'l'intonazione" delle frasi.

ad esempio, i post in inglese scritti da utenti italiani in questo thread mi suonano diversi tra loro e simili a quelli scritti dal resto di Veeky Forums

i don't really like Baricco. i'd add Bassani

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

>no mention for Papini
disgusting

There are no SJWs or crazy lefties and church attendance is one of the highests in Europe, besides, the Vatican still has a lot of influence in the country and people's opinions, am I wrong?

I wonder what its like to have such a lacklustre literary tradition that you have to cling to opinions as stupid as this.
You don't sound like someone who has ever been to Italy. Its a nice place, but seriously don't idolise it that much. The most beautiful areas of those cities have been completely transformed into tourist traps with sleazy locals doing their best to rip-off travellers, Italy has some of the worst corruption in West European politics, and the girls may be tanned but they are no more beautiful than other comparable countries. They are often a lot less attractive when you observe that a large number of people in public are pretty rude and obnoxious. Obviously this doesn't count for everyone.
>Italians responding to surveys have said that between 30 and 50 percent attend Mass more than once a month. But in 2004-5, the Patriarchate of Venice undertook a study that showed the actual attendance numbers were no more than 22.7 percent, with only 15 percent attending every Sunday

Gramsci

>to become the same neoliberal garbage you can get in the rest of Europe.
Taci miserabile, all of our politicians want to spend more money to make more debt and crash our current slow growth. Read some real neoliberal theory and you'll understand that we're losing the train of globalization and we're likely to become the next Venezuela

>Read some real neoliberal theory
How about you follow your own advice:
imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2016/06/ostry.htm

i value the state of the economy way more than human beings

>i value the state of the economy way more than human beings
you already said you were a neoliberal, you don't have to spell it out

Bvmp

So, I'm gonna start soon reading Il Principe for Uni. What I'm in for?
Comunque ho letto l'Arcobaleno della Gravità sotto consiglio di questa board di svitati intellettualoidi e devo dire che mi è piaciuto

selvaggio

>everyone is still religious and respects the Church
>doesn't have shitty politics
sarcasm or never lived in Italy?

Kill yourself you fucking brainlet