8. Vladimir Nabokov
9. Marcel Proust
10. Fyodor Dostoevsky

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_fiction_authors
last.fm/user/metaldiscussor
saddude69.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are we talking strictly prose? I can't tell from your list. Where tf are the Romans? The Greeks? Who puts Woolf above Joyce? Why is Stein on the list? Are you ok?

>no great writers lived before 1800

You forgot J.K. Rowling

you sound like someone who's read fewer than 500 books in your life

>No Shakespeare

BECKETT AT 6 WHEW YOU'RE MAKING FAULKNER LOOK BAD

>Virginia Woolf
>Gertrude Stain
LOL! Replace these with Melville and Borges.

greatest poets:

1. William Carlos Williams
2. William Butler Yeats
3. John Milton
4. John Keats
5. Walt Whitman
6. William Blake
7. Allen Ginsberg
8. William Shakespeare
9. Ezra Pound
10. TS Eliot

Those are good writers, of course, but too modern and sparse for a "greatest of all time" list. And Faulkner, Woolf and Nabokov before Proust?

no author really moved me emotionally like john williams. he is what i look up to

Why can't brainlets appreciate based Virginia?

>Dostoevsky as #10
Good one user! I had a laff

>Kafka
There needs to be stricter enforcement of the 'must be 18 to post' rule.

Agreed, he shouldn't be on the list at all.

Leave

who is your favorite author?

well what do ya know i forgot Neruda. Looks like nobody's perfect!

1. William Carlos Williams
2. William Butler Yeats
3. Pablo Neruda
4. John Milton
5. John Keats
6. Walt Whitman
7. William Blake
8. Allen Ginsberg
9. William Shakespeare
10. Ezra Pound

David Foster Wallace

Go express your teen angst somewhere else please.

Depends on the category, but it's insulting to see Kafka on a list like this. There are few writers more overrated and it's a testament to our times being those of the emotionally and intellectually stunted white male that this talentless subversive gets brought up by those still stuck in a 10th grade mindset.

What do you think of Scaruffi’s top 10 novels?

1. Kafka, Franz: The Trial
2. Bulgakov, Mikhail: The Master and Margherita
3. Witkiewicz, Stanislaw: Insatiability
4. Mann, Thomas: Buddenbrooks
5. James, Henry: The Golden Bowl
6. Bronte, Emily: Wuthering Heights
7. Nabokov, Vladimir: Ada
8. Pynchon, Thomas: V
9. Gogol, Nikolaj: Dead Souls
10. Faulkner, William: Light in August

Why are anglofags so retarded?

Kafka is ubiquitous, sorry you’re stuck in a avant-teen mindset.

>Talentless subversive
Embarrassing

i havent read many of those but saying light in august is faulkners best is not even funny it is so wrong

Angry teen HS posters like this who unironically think Kafka is a good writer explain a lot of Veeky Forums's dysfunctionality -- weird virgin posts, trolling YouTube girls, book recs for depressed and suicidal -- these are the people who defend Kafka on here, the loser archetype.

Get over yourself lol, you Sound and Fury baby.

Yes, we have seen your posts about Kafka being overrated, talentless and subversive a couple times before. We understand fully that you disdain all Jewish writers, and view them as emotionally and intellectually stunted because of their race. We know that you believe they are damaging the white male. We know how you feel about Proust, Salinger, etcetera. But you never tell us which writers you enjoy yourself. Is it really too much of a trap? Of course the anons will pounce on you, but surely if you are right that will not matter at all.

>This amount of projection
Please go back to the hole from where you came from.

Typical Scaruffi list. He always picks famous artists but lists them in a unusual order/cites less famous works because he wants to appear sophisticated.

How do you even come up with this sort of autism?
Are you actually incapable of reading any other language?

>assumed authority
>writing as if he’s lecturing an imaginary audience (because he fantasizes about being in control)
>entry level social theorist
>”--”
>”archetype”
Please leave, you absolute clueless retard.

You really have to be a special kind of deluded contrarian or /pol/ack to think that Kafka's praise is undeserved.

But no, sure, guys like Borges and Krasznahorkai, who have fellated Kafka, are definitely just brainwashed, effeminate white males.

>wants to appear sophisticated
This much projection, amirite ?

>Pynchon's best work
>V
Disgusting.

It’s Gravity’s Rainbow in the english list (he suggest the language-specific list on that very page)

>Faulkner
>muh black people

>Kafka
>muh supernaturalism

>Woolf
>muh women are people too

>Joyce
>muh mick jibberish

>Stein
>muh women are people too

>Beckett
>muh sword through head

>Chekhov
>muh russia

>Nabokov
>muh tight teen pussy

>Proust
>muh pee smell after asparagus

>Fydor
>muh i feel bad about life

You really outdid yourself OP.

It's pretty know that Scaruffi does that he's a cool guy and a decent critic when it comes to music but he has an inflated ego and his literature lists are all like that. Just look at his website.

>Borges and U Krasznahorkai
Not to mention Beckett, who was hugely influenced by Kafka. Yet he didn't complain about him being on the list.

>that he's a cool guy and a decent critic
That’s like every fucking pop critic though. Nothing is more unsophisticated than that website

Yeah. Why the fuck would Stein be on there and not Melville? Maybe these are just the people OP had to read in high school.

Fuck off, Scaruffi is an incredible music critic and great writer. No one even comes close to his website.

I’m defending him you retard. Sophistication is unrelated here, ofc, since he’s just a critic. Scaruffi is very obviously, all things considered, above average.

For many weirdos and social rejects, Kafka taps into a kind of inner angst those who are inexperienced and less refined in taste are prone to find a unique connection with. It gets them through the hard times, where they see themselves as outcasts who don't fit in, by allowing them to bathe in their misanthropy instead of encouraging them to act like men and overcome these petty emotions. Kafka is the pseud's writer: the weakest of men are drawn to him and will defend him, not because of his abilities, but because of this immature emotional connection they believe they feel.

Yes, we have seen your posts about Kafka being overrated, talentless and subversive a couple times before. We understand fully that you disdain all Jewish writers, and view them as emotionally and intellectually stunted because of their race. We know that you believe they are damaging the white male. We know how you feel about Proust, Salinger, etcetera. But you never tell us which writers you enjoy yourself. Is it really too much of a trap? Of course the anons will pounce on you, but surely if you are right that will not matter at all.

>immature emotional connection
Some people would be tempted to call that a great psychological autoportrait. Btw you’re not even talking about Kafka’s work, but only about your contemporaries’ reading of said work, which is is absolutely unrelated ofc.

Kafka never struck me as misanthropic.

>All around people are asleep. It's just play acting, an innocent self-deception, that they sleep in houses, in safe beds, under a safe roof, stretched out or curled up on mattresses, in sheets, under blankets; in reality they have flocked together as they had once upon a time and again later in a deserted region, a camp in the open, a countless number of men, an army, a people, under a cold sky on cold earth, collapsed where once they had stood, forehead pressed on the arm, face to the ground, breathing quietly.

>We are as forlorn as children lost in the woods. When you stand in front of me and look at me, what do you know of the griefs that are in me and what do I know of yours. And if I were to cast myself down before you and weep and tell you, what more would you know about me than you know about Hell when someone tells you it is hot and dreadful? For that reason alone we human beings ought to stand before one another as reverently, as reflectively, as lovingly, as we would before the entrance to Hell.

When I think misanthropic, I think a writer like Celine, who seems to have genuine disdain for most of humanity.

>Gogol
>Proust
>Turgenev
>Kierkegaard
>Plato
>Hegel
>Joyce
>Cortazar
>Faulkner
>Nietzsche

My top 10, not in any particular order

I was talking about his literature lists. They read like he has put them together after reading a couple of Wikipedia articles. Look at his national literature section, it feels very random and scattered, if you understand what I mean. I like him as a music critic too, despite the criminal 7 he gave to Aqua, lol.

Embarrassing. Your criticism is basically "he's appreciated by angsty teens therefore he"s bad", which is not only untrue (Dostoevskij would fit that category much better) but also a very sophomoric way to critique and a non sequitur.

For me, Kafka's finest work by far is "In the Penal Colony," which has nothing to do with teen angst at all.

A lot of Williams here.

Epic!

>plato
Plato was the one who ruined logic forever by turning everyone into a metaphysics retard.

It's the truth. Kafka posters are of two types: jews and whites who can't break from their 10th grade mindset.

Rekt

>tfw brainlet
He certainly was not the one who began the metaphysicalcentric tradition of continental philosophy, but he was one of the best. Art and aesthetics reached tbe heights they did because of Plato's thought. Your mechanically autistic self cant into metaphysics, and you assuredly are an unartistic stemfaggot.

>I can identify a writer trait
>They're bad

Why you can't validate your own opinion user?

my top 10:

1. John Steinbeck
2. Kurt Vonnegut
3. Phillip K Dick
4. J. G. Ballard
5. David Foster Wallace
6. William Faulkner
7. John Irving
8. Stephen King
9. Kurt Vonnegut
10. Mark Twain

not being funny im just being honest these are my favs

>3. Witkiewicz, Stanislaw: Insatiability
This is a masterpiece btw. Musil-tier.

those are some of my favorites, but I think the order is off.

Now you know that's not an argument.

1. David Foster Wallace
2. Ayn Rand
3. Nietzsche
4. Richard Dawkins
5.Ernest Cline
6. Robert Jordan
7. Sun Tzu
8. Chuck Palahniuk
9. Joyce
10. Shakespeare

Neruda is utter shit. His surrealist phase consists on entry level truisms. Canto general, los poemas de amor and so on are corny as hell. On top of that, his influence can only be called disastrous.

No order and I label myself as functionally half illiterate:
>Cervantes
>Baudelaire
>Proust
>Faulkner
>Joyce
>Chekhov
>Dostoyevsky
>Kafka
>Sophocles
>Shakespeare

I'm pretty much the opposite of an unartistic stem fag. I am studying philosophy as my major and I pretty much only care about digging for obscure music, reading classic literature, arguing about politics on facebook, queer culture, digging for interesting art on the edge of society on art blogs, destroying the concept of gender and god, and transcending the drudging consciousness of the 21st century man.

>Dostoyevsky
>Good writer

>digging for obscure music

Now we're talking

holy shit, you're me but gay and political

>greatest writers of all time
>all modernists
uh

Joyce above Dostoyevsky?

Leave noob

thats most people here

Very nice.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_fiction_authors
The objectively best

This was a great argument; thanks for your insight!

1. John Lennon
2. J R R Tolkien
3. E L James
4. Paul McCartney
5. J K Rowling
6. William Shakespeare
7. Lord Byron
8. Ringo Starr
9. Daphne Du Maurier
10. George Harrison

please be a meme

>digging for interesting art on the edge of society on art blogs
would sir care to share said blog(s)?
i'm in dire need of a blog to read on

Share your lastfm right now you cunt and I'll add you and berate you on your tastes

I bet my foreskin you're not half as obscure as you think

This.

If any else shares I might join in.

Songwriters still count as writers, user

Guarantee you're just an impressionable contrarian who was literally memed into disliking Big D by Nabokov greentext posts.

last.fm/user/metaldiscussor

Idk how last.fm is a good indicator of overall taste though. If you're just going to look at my overall artists or my last 7 days you probably won't get a good overview. So here's my top 100 as well.

saddude69.tumblr.com/

I follow a bunch of blogs and collect the artwork from them on my tumblr.

Karl Marx is definitely one of the best

Kafka didn't have disdain for humanity, just an endless, arbitrary bureaucracy that drags people down and reduces their value to nothing.

>1. Murakami
>2. Jonathan Franzen
>3. David Foster Wallace
>4. Margaret Atwood
>5. Bob Dylan
>6. Albert Camus
>7. Charles Bukowski
>8. Bryce Courtenay
>9. Christopher Hitchens
>10. Tao Lin

>all these 20th century writers
>no Gaddis

You're a fool. Real literary experts know that William Gass is the foremost literary prose stylist of our time.

G-D
(PLATO)
[AQUINAS]
{Z̧̹̳̰̥̖Ạ͎͙L͖G͇͎̬̺O̟͙̯͈͟}}

The Trial as number 1?

Absolutely not my friend. Im a fan of the Kafster as well, yet The Trial was rushed. The main idea was there but Kaf could have gotten more crisp, instead he hurried it along, never finished

The Trial needed more love. It was a bastard child that in the moment was exhilirating to create, sensual rush, face flush with passion. seed became a living creature and Kafka threw it off, as if disgusted by the truth within in it

He was halfway there. Authors like Joyce and Nabakov knew how to finish and polish, Kafka was crude

Knut Hamsun.

>And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast.

>Faulkner
Top 10? Maybe und top 500.
>Kafka
Top 300
>Woolf
Not even top 1000; worthless list.

He's retarded and I bet he has never read all those books

Keep reading— seems like you’re having fun, user. Godspeed. My list would resemble yours a LOT two years ago.

>Martial
>Shakespeare
>DeLillo
>Plato
>Kierkegaard
>Schopenhauer
>Aristotle
>Sam Hyde
>Montaigne

Runner ups include Thoreau, Nietzsche, Emerson, and too damn many.

Yeah, he was writing for the sake of humanity against inhuman bureaucracies.

>queer culture
>destroying the concept of gender
the fact that no one is criticizing you for this is problematic.
There's fucking diaper fetish drawings on your art blog too. chripes

>suddenly
what a hack

>There's fucking diaper fetish drawings on your art blog too. chripes
When someone tells me why this is objectively wrong I'll remove it from my blog. I honestly hate people like you who are so ideological you create arbitrary rules and spooks to govern your behavior, and impose on other people your arbitrary beliefs. I hope you realize I've been using this website for almost a decade now. Seeing people like you, it just strengthens the daily misery that I feel towards the human race in general, being predictably stupid, unintelligent creatures which make me wish that I lived in a world filled with nothing but robots who didn't come up with their own stupid little faiths.

>Seeing people like you, it just strengthens the daily misery that I feel towards the human race in general, being predictably stupid, unintelligent creatures which make me wish that I lived in a world filled with nothing but robots who didn't come up with their own stupid little faiths.
*tips*
All I said was "chripes". I didn't insult you. did I accidentally dig up the corpse of your self-consciousness? is that where this anger is coming from, or are you just this oversensitive?
also, disgust isn't a spook, nor is it arbitrary; it's a survival mechanism which lets people avoid or prune those that spread disease (scat fetishists, sodomites, sluts) and danger (pedophiles, transexuals).
misanthropy, degeneracy and decay don't pay out in the end for the intelligentsia, friend. You keep sleeping with 'dirty' and your liable to be hung by populists, nationalists, and 'predictably stupid, unintelligent creatures'.

This has nothing to do with anything, but that picture is one of the cutest things I've ever seen, thank you for posting it.

artist is synecdoche445
he's very good

I'm not going to honor this post with a reply.