“As far as I am concerned, I resign from humanity. I no longer want to be, nor can still be, a man. What should I do...

“As far as I am concerned, I resign from humanity. I no longer want to be, nor can still be, a man. What should I do? Work for a social and political system, make a girl miserable? Hunt for weaknesses in philosophical systems, fight for moral and esthetic ideals? It’s all too little. I renounce my humanity even though I may find myself alone. But am I not already alone in this world from which I no longer expect anything?”

Other urls found in this thread:

public.journals.yorku.ca/index.php/public/article/download/30276/27810
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cioran will only become more beloved as the 21st century soldiers on. There's a Cioran memes FB page...with quite a few likes.

link me to these meme pages plox

Veeky Forums thinks the link is spam, just search "Catharthis Through E.M. Cioran"

friendly reminder E.M. Cioran was a party animal, had dozens of friends, and went out to dinner almost every night of the week

lol ty dude

Humanity is attributed by others, to resign ones humanity would be comparable to a red brick resigning from the color red. It is not something the brick is capable of doing as it does not depend on the brick.

>tfw cioran literally had one of the most comfy livess you could have had

I read him for me shipwrecked feeling I get from anything he writes. At first you follow. then you start going in circles, then you are caught up in a kind of mild unmenacing whirlpool, and you tell yourself you're sinking, and then you do sink. But you don"t really drown--that would be too easy! You come back up to the surface. you follow all over again, amazed to see he seems to be saying something and to understand what it is, and then you start going round and round again, and you sink once more. . . . All of which is meant to be profound. and seems so. But once you come to your senses you realize it's only abtruse, obscure, and that the distance between real profundity and the willed kind is as great as between a revelation and a whim.

you dont have to live by what you write down on a piece of paper. like its not already common knowledge that writers are full of shit
come on now

>hypocrisy is okay

>esthetic
fuck outta here

How is Cioran pronounced? I need to know in case someone asks me about my cat's name.

Come on now, just because Cioran wasn't living the /r9k/ lifestyle doesn't mean he was happy. If anything, his inability to find peace only becomes more meaningful when you consider the privileges he had. Like Ecclesiastes.

sea-or-an

pussy

>hypocrisy is not okay

>a lavish lifestyle can't be depressing

sigh-ow-ore-ahn

Chee-or-an

In Romanian it is Cheeorahn. In French it is Siorahn. I have also heard some Anglos say Quiarahn.

In the end it does not matter.

Nee-cha

>I don't belong to this world
>have a wife

No.

This mofo knows what I'm talking about.
Only realistic nigga out there.

This true? If yes then he's the ultimate pseud. You can't take anything he writes seriously then

is that the guy from eraserhead?

Ch (as in Cheese) - oran (like in orangutan)

>denying the three noble responses to life

Lastman.jpeg

He's taken it to one extreme but hasn't found the beauty in it. If it is all pointless then LIVE

This, embrace reality. Conform oneself to existence since it is the only existence one has, and try to shape that existence into the best existence you can.

Damn, how do I get good hair like Cioran?

I think he was well aware of that, boyo.

no poo

Like churn, but with a rolling r.

This is supposed to be an era with the highest quality of life ever but I still can't wait to return to the void. Sometimes I wonder if some of us are just predisposed to depression and that no matter what happens, life will be constantly disappointing.

Fun fact: in Romanian his name comes from the word for crow plus a suffix denoting a place of origin. But crow is also used as the main racial slur for blacks and gypsies alike. So think of him as mr. Niggerford or something.

That's because quality of life has nothing to do with existence. If you want to know the terms of life, imagine Adam and Eve on their first day outside of the Garden. It's bleak as hell man, and if anyone thinks that a comfy bed will heal that bleakness, they've got another thing coming. But only if they miss their daily soma injection at the orgy porgy factory.

FUCKING DROPPED

A philosopher, once, named Cioran*
Used to whine life is bleak, dreary, glum.
But the old hypocrite
Was too scared to commit
And he lived to almost ninety-one.

*Yes, it rhymes.
t. Professional Romanian

hypocrisy is actually crucial to nihilism

As funny as that fact may be, Cioran pretty much followed Schopenhauer in denying suicide as just another act of the will. Or, as he puts it, he was just as tired of death as of life. In fact, the possibility of suicide is what kept him going.

Constantin Noica, in his Journal of Ideas (probably not translated), not to be confused with his Philosophical Journal (he was probably the most unimaginative philosopher ever when it comes to titles), wrote that Cioran, in order to ease his worry about his possible depression and/or suicide, once took him aside and told him "Don't tell anyone, but I like life".

I also recall someone telling me that Ionesco and Eliade would meet with Cioran in Paris and pull silly pranks on each other.

And there are of course plenty of anecdotes about Cioran telling a fan to stop reading him and read something useful (but I guess that's normal for Cioran) or about Cioran falling in live with a younger female fan.

There's an alternative etymology which is better and, as far as I know, approved by Cioran experts (yes, there is such a thing). Namely, that Cioran does not come from cioara, but from the verb "a ciordi" which is an archaic word for stealing, thievery. It is associated with gypsies though, but that might be a contemporary coincidence rather than a historical fact, I don't know.

I don't know if Cioran ever made any remarks about it, but I think he would've liked knowing that his name means "thief", given how he considered spermatozoa to be pure bandits and so on.

humans are hypocritical by nature? how not? SOMEONE RESPOND TO THIS POST

who better an authority to condemn life than a man who experienced all it had to offer?

once you get to the top you realize there is nothing there. We're basically living in a technocratic utopia now and people are still whinging about nebulous are highly trivial bullshit. That's just the disconsolate nature of the will for ya.

>Tu qoque? What's that?

His family name also sounds similar to the word for 'black' in other Balkan languages - cherno/cheren I'm Bulgarian, crno in Serbian

I got curious and checked it out. "A ciordi", "to steal", is derived from the Gypsy language even though it is a Romanian word.

>cioran
>schopenhauer
>scioranhauer

Easy on the weed user.

I fucking hate these meme philosophers not putting their money where their mouth is.
Are there any really niggas that lived by their word?

real niggas*

Nit-cher

This hits too close to heart.
Oh well, back to fapping.

I'd say Diogenes but he didn't really have money

>The absolute state of Veeky Forums

>my le life is sooo meaningless xDD
>check out this edgy fezbook meme guizzz

BTFO. He died to save us from Tu Quoque

There is one...

Cioran strategically used pessimism as a coping mechanism, he never advocated suicide. If anything his position was that of a sort of bleak Pyrrho, not a prescriptive philosopher.

EMC A few years ago, there was a friend of mine who told me that he'd
met a twenty-five-year-old engineer who wanted to meet me. Finally, I
said all right, we'll go stroll around the Luxembourg Gardens nearby. It
was a summer evening. We spoke about one thing and another, literature
and such, and finally he said to me, "Do you know why I wanted to meet
you? It's because I read your books, and I saw that you're interested in
suicide. I'd like to tell you about my case." And so he explained to me that
he had a good job, he earned a lot. He said, "In the last two or three
years, I've begun to be obsessed with suicide. I'm in the prime of life, and
this idea has taken hold of me. I haven't been able to get rid of it." We
talked for three hours about suicide, circling the Luxembourg Gardens. I
explained to him how I was-I am still-obsessed by it, I consider suicide
as the only solution, but, I told him, my theory is this: that suicide is the
only idea that allows man to live. Suicide gives me the idea that I can
leave this world when I want to, and that makes life bearable. Instead of
destroying it. So for three hours we discussed every aspect of this problem,
and then I suggested that we not see each other again, because there
wouldn't be any point.
JW In an encounter like that, have you had the feeling of saving him a little?
EMC Yes, a little. That's happened to me several times, with young
women particularly. I've always prevented them from committing suicide.
I've always tried to tell them that, since you can kill yourself anytime, you
should put it off. But you should not abandon this idea.
JW But you do feel a certain responsibility to such people.
EMC Yes, I can't avoid it. Because my theory of suicide is that one
shouldn't kill oneself, one should make use of this idea in order to put up
with life. So, it's something else, but they've attacked me, saying this
fellow makes the argument for suicide and doesn't do it himself. But I
haven't made such an argument. I say that we have only this recourse in
life, that the only consolation is that we can quit this life when we want
to. So, it's a positive idea. Christianity is guilty of leading a campaign
against this idea. One should say to people, "If you find life unbearable,
tell yourself, 'Well, I can give it up when I want to."' One should live by
way of this idea of suicide. It's in Syllogismes where I wrote that sentence:
"Without the idea of suicide, I would have killed myself from the start."

It's a good interview, the rest is worthwhile as well:

public.journals.yorku.ca/index.php/public/article/download/30276/27810

Cioran's pessimism is very tongue-in-cheek too. When I first read The Trouble With Being Born I was disgusted, but when I realised that it's basically ironic, I loved.

why is this image zooming at me the longer I look at it?

Why has everyone shot me down? Hypocrisy is unjustifiable

That's how he became The Nanny.

and yet it continues in spite of this. hmmm

I find it funny that he derides nietzsche for doing the same thing as him, namely writing philosophy to cope with life

Cioran? More like Memoran!!!! AM I RIGHT HAAHAHHAAH

He's romanian.

A good advice would be to read everything he writes like you're calmly laughing the pain way.